• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Short lived railways that were built post war

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

A similar railway was at the Thorp Arch munitions factory on the Church Fenton to Harrogate line. There is an interesting article in 'The British Railway Journal' volumes 65 and 66. The Thorp Arch Circular Railway ran around the perimeter of the factory with 4 stations. It opened in part in 1941 and closed in 1958.

I guess that its short life and the nature of the location, must the reason why it doesn't feature on most maps that I can get hold of. Even a modern 1:25,000 scale OS map doesn't show any of the remains of the trackbed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I guess that its short life and the nature of the location, must the reason why it doesn't feature on most maps that I can get hold of. Even a modern 1:25,000 scale OS map doesn't show any of the remains of the trackbed.
Until recent years Ordnance Survey left military sites blank on their maps.

billio

The site has been substantially re-used and altered since its closure so there is little that would show up on a modern map. Walking around the site you can see a few remnants of railway tracks and associated buildings. The engine shed is preserved on the British Library site.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Until recent years Ordnance Survey left military sites blank on their maps.

That's not quite true. The Navy was extremely secretive, and naval bases such as the ones at Plymouth, Portsmouth, Chatham and Woolwich were just a blank space. However, the Army was not so secretive, as this 25" map of Aldershot from the 1930s shows. Air Force bases varied; sometimes they were just a blank, other times runways and buildings were shown.

Dr_Paul

Established Member

The railway at the Thorp Arch depot is on this 1:25 000 map.

marsker

If I recall correctly, the Benton North West Curve on Tyneside almost fits this catagory. It was built during WW2 as a diversionary route so that trains could reach the main line north from Newcastle if the normal line through Heaton was interrupted.

I really remember it from the early 1960s, it was always rusty and Benton North box, where it joined the main line, about ½ mile from Forest Hall, was alwys switched out. It was occasionally used for engineering diversions and I do have a memory from early childhood of seeing a double headed tank engine + what was probably an A3 running through South Gosforth on a rake of blood and custard coaches.

When the Tyneside area was resignalled, around 1962, it all came under the control of Benton power box. From then on, a late evening ECS from Morpeth or Alnmouth to South Gosforth sheds was routed that way to keep track circuits operational and, later, an odd Alnmouth stopping DMU was routed over it, calling at Benton en route.

The line closed as a through route when the North Tyneside lines were converted for Metro operation, but was used for a few years as a stabling and turn-back facility.

At the time, I remember hearing that the North to East curve at Morpeth was funded as part of the Metro scheme as compensation for loss of the diversionary route through South Gosforth.

Last edited by a moderator:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
The short section of the Metrolink replacing the Mumps viaduct in Oldham, which briefly connected the Shaw line to the "old* route through Mumps Station and the former Oldham Central Station to Werneth. Only open a year or so until the present route through Oldham Town Centre was finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.