• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shortest-lived loco/train in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steve14

To be fair despite being a one-off, the privatised railway brought it back into service for a good few years before another catastrophic failure.

It's now nearing the end of a long restoration project.
Found it! Looks really smart!

Photo courtesy of Tim Bralesford and DB Cargo.

Also, a comprehensive video of what’s been restored - a painstaking long list for sure!

Attachments

• 336C3016-CD3D-4766-8A83-8C9E4485BB98.jpeg
    336C3016-CD3D-4766-8A83-8C9E4485BB98.jpeg
    997.5 KB · Views: 41

4REP

390033 might be the short lived emu only a few years old. Destroyed on WCML Feb 2007

On Moderation
390033 might be the short lived emu only a few years old. Destroyed on WCML Feb 2007
It’s already been said that one car of 317301 was written off before it even entered service.

Journeyman

Established Member
For an entire production build fleet of reasonable size, I'd say it's a toss-up between the 14s and the 17s. Both around five years, less in some cases.

On Moderation
For an entire production build fleet of reasonable size, I'd say it's a toss-up between the 14s and the 17s. Both around five years, less in some cases.
I’d argue the 17s were worse as a sizeable number of 14s went on to have a much longer career on industrial railways.

Journeyman

Established Member
I’d argue the 17s were worse as a sizeable number of 14s went on to have a much longer career on industrial railways.

True...the 14s were a real gift to industrial users looking to modernise on the cheap.

colchesterken

What about the southern electrics forget the number was it 701, replaced before entering service, privation madness

AlexNL

Established Member
If trains from abroad are allowed: the AnsaldoBreda built "V250" units are a good contender.

They were in 'trial service' for about 5.5 months after which they entered squadron service on 9 December 2012 running the "Fyra" high speed train service between Amsterdam and Brussels. Less than 6 weeks later it was all over: on 18 January 2013 the type certification was revoked by DVIS (the Belgian equivalent to ORR) which immediately ended the class' use in revenue service.

The trains never carried another fare paying passenger in the Netherlands or Belgium, and were sold back to the manufacturer. Nowadays the trains have been overhauled and are in service as "ETR 700" with Trenitalia.

MP33

In the modernisation plan were there any types of locomotives where just the one prototype was built and completely rejected by British Railways?

I have seen photographs of one of short lived freight locomotives. Apart from the reliability issues, it had a centre cab which had very poor visibility for shunting wagons.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
In the modernisation plan were there any types of locomotives where just the one prototype was built and completely rejected by British Railways?

I have seen photographs of one of short lived freight locomotives. Apart from the reliability issues, it had a centre cab which had very poor visibility for shunting wagons.
Does the YEC Taurus loco count here?

Journeyman

Established Member

Not during the actual modernisation plan, I don't think, but there were some classes where only ten pilot locos were built, with none to follow afterwards.

Spike Bank

Some of the BR built Hawksworth 94xx class had short working lives, with the last ones built not entering service until 1956. If Wikipedia is to be believed, 8447 was in service for only 4 years and 9 months. Similarly, many of the late build BR standards - 'Evening Star' included, went too soon...

GlosRail

Class 460 only lasted 12 years in it's intended form. I know some are now used in other units.

Status
Not open for further replies.