• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should all parts the rail network be kept open given the increasing frequency of adverse climatic conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG

Established Member
What is politically acceptable, or not, in the world of taxpayer funded transport is undergoing something of a seismic change...
This comment set me thinking along the lines of the thread title.

If climate change means that sections of lines are going to frequently require substantial remedial action then should we accept that some bits are just too costly to keep going?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Chicken - egg. If climate change then rail transport is even more key. If lines are closed then more environmental damage. Least used lines are in Scotland and Wales. Try shutting those. Political dynamite.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
With regard to the Conwy Valley we probably do need to choose between rebuilding some parts to be more resistant to flooding (though some bits of such work were done last time some washed away, and indeed the following time it didn't wash away, probably as a result) and closing it[1]. Doing the work probably wouldn't be that expensive in the great scheme of railway spending, it's only a single-track low-speed diesel branch line, not HS2.

[1] But if it was closed, it should in my book, other than possibly the tunnel, be turned into a cycleway - so money would need to be spent either way. The flood issue in the case would be avoided by bringing some sections down to ground level so the water can just wash over the top - the washaway issues are occurring on elevated sections on the floodplain.

SynthD

We are expecting part of the north Wales Cambrian line to be rebuilt when Fairbourne is abandoned. Let’s see what happens there, do they go for a minimal rebuild out of the sea’s way or something more substantial, suitable for the main non-road link to Northern Ireland.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We are expecting part of the north Wales Cambrian line to be rebuilt when Fairbourne is abandoned. Let’s see what happens there, do they go for a minimal rebuild out of the sea’s way or something more substantial, suitable for the main non-road link to Northern Ireland.

Er, how is the Cambrian that?

I expect what they will do there is to rebuild it higher up and closer to the main road with some heavy sea defences, or possibly, if the road also needs work, to rebuild both on some sort of "causeway". Though it's a reasonable way back from the sea, so closing the station (or renaming it "Friog", the village the other side of the road) and chucking a load of large rocks on the sea side of it may be enough.

SynthD

Hmm I was jumbled up with the thread about the Irish Sea crossing.

EastisECML

I think at some point the sea exposed section of the ECML north of Berwick will need to be diverted inland. We don't want any of those azumas getting soaked by the North sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.