• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should I be entitled to a partial refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyMe

I purchased an Off Peak Day Return (through Southern's web site) from Croydon to Brighton for travel on Friday 9th September. I knew that I would be returning soon after 22:15. When booking my ticket, the first train after 22:15 (the Thameslink 22:25) was showing as cancelled.

The next fastest journey back to East Croydon was the 22:39 Gatwick Express changing at Gatwick Airport to the 23:27 Southern service to Victoria. Because of this (and only because of this) I purchased an Any Permitted route ticket to allow me travel on the Gatwick Express and Southern services. This would have got me to East Croydon only 10 minutes earlier than the next direct train, but to me it was worth paying the extra.

At some point during the day of travel the 23:27 Southern service from Gatwick Airport to Victoria was cancelled. My fastest journey to East Croydon then became the 22:55 Thameslink service. This meant that my purchase of the Any Permitted route ticket was unnecessary.

My question is, am I entitled to a refund of the difference between the price of the Thameslink only and the Any Permitted route ticket? Afer all, I only purchased the ticket I did so I could use a service that Southern subsequently cancelled. Southern says not, but I've been offered a goodwill refund, which is great. But should this be an entitled refund rather than a goodwill refund?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
I purchased an Off Peak Day Return (through Southern's web site) from Croydon to Brighton for travel on Friday 9th September. I knew that I would be returning soon after 22:15. When booking my ticket, the first train after 22:15 (the Thameslink 22:25) was showing as cancelled.

The next fastest journey back to East Croydon was the 22:39 Gatwick Express changing at Gatwick Airport to the 23:27 Southern service to Victoria. Because of this (and only because of this) I purchased an Any Permitted route ticket to allow me travel on the Gatwick Express and Southern services. This would have got me to East Croydon only 10 minutes earlier than the next direct train, but to me it was worth paying the extra.

At some point during the day of travel the 23:27 Southern service from Gatwick Airport to Victoria was cancelled. My fastest journey to East Croydon then became the 22:55 Thameslink service. This meant that my purchase of the Any Permitted route ticket was unnecessary.

My question is, am I entitled to a refund of the difference between the price of the Thameslink only and the Any Permitted route ticket? Afer all, I only purchased the ticket I did so I could use a service that Southern subsequently cancelled. Southern says not, but I've been offered a goodwill refund, which is great. But should this be an entitled refund rather than a goodwill refund?
I didn't realise any route permitted included GatEx?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Well, at a minimum, you're now part of this class action lawsuit against GTR, which was recently granted class certification (unless you decide to opt out for whatever reason).

So if you keep hold of the receipts/tickets etc. you should, hopefully, be able to recover what you were overcharged.

cornishjohn

Seems to me at this point the Any Permitted would have been refundable in whole on the "cancelled train" rule, and a new, cheaper, ticket could have been bought?

But having used it it's too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.