• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should passengers be able to opt out of cross London transfers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Isnt the real issue that the TOCs concerned dont want to block the tickets at all but that they represent a very insignificant part of their business (London Underground and Southeastern) such that the cost of updating or replacing the barrier equipment exceeds the benefit to the TOC/ TFL by a considerable margin. When there is no requirement in their franchise agreement to do so and no third party willing to cover the costs?
Southeastern aren't the only TOC who feel that way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Isnt the real issue that the TOCs concerned dont want to block the tickets at all but that they represent a very insignificant part of their business (London Underground and Southeastern) such that the cost of updating or replacing the barrier equipment exceeds the benefit to the TOC/ TFL by a considerable margin. When there is no requirement in their franchise agreement to do so and no third party willing to cover the costs?
Who do you think pays for all the nice shiny new barcode readers on gates and the handhelds that are used by TOC employees?

a. DfT
b. TOCs
c. Retailers

paul1609

Established Member
Who do you think pays for all the nice shiny new barcode readers on gates and the handhelds that are used by TOC employees?

a. DfT
b. TOCs
c. Retailers
I presume from your comment that it must be the Dft but that the funding must take in to account the savings that the mainline toc makes from using E tickets and PRT wheras for Southeastern there is absolutely no financial saving unless the tickets are adopted across the London Zones since tickets used to London Underground and DLR destinations out number tickets sold point to point cross london to other tocs by a huge margin.

paul1609

Established Member
You can get e tickets (and presumably PRT) to from/the Marshlink stations (run by GTR) if the other station is enabled and the journey doesnt invove cross London . Ive had several e tickets from Appledore (kent) to Fratton for instance. You cant get tickets to SE stations Hastings, St Leonards, Ashford Int., but the Appledore to Fratton ticket is valid on Southeastern trains via Tonbridge and the guards have always accepted them without comment in my case. I believe that West Coastway stations are progressively being equipped with barcode scanners but havent used rail down there since the pandemic. Ive never actually had a barcode scanned anywhere on a train on GTR obs just look at the phone etc to see whereyou are going.
Further to my earlier answer I went to Littlehampton station today to meet a member of rail staff. They've fitted a barcode scanner but only to the wide gate at the station. This follows the practise at Brighton station where only 10 of the barriers are fitted. Whilst accepting e tickets etc. it appears that GTR don't see them as becoming mainstream.

alistairlees

Established Member
They are by means of a barcode levy per ticket
Back to school, I'm afraid. The answer is c. Retailers. Strictly speaking that means both TOCs (acting as retailers) and independent retailers. No money is coming from DfT or RDG. So about 50% of barcode readers have been bought by independent retailers, and given to TOCs.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Back to school, I'm afraid. The answer is c. Retailers. Strictly speaking that means both TOCs (acting as retailers) and independent retailers. No money is coming from DfT or RDG. So about 50% of barcode readers have been bought by independent retailers, and given to TOCs.
Rolls eyes and sighs.I wondered why we were paying the levy.

Status
Not open for further replies.