• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should Sampford Courtenay station be reopened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
It is specifically ruled out, either in the press release or on the new website, linked on the other thread. Okehampton Parkway, much better located near the A30, is a possibility for the future.
Why? Running time definitely plus lack of demand (1.5m from the village and in the wrong direction for Exeter - no idea what summer Sunday demand was like!).

davetheguard

Established Member
It is specifically ruled out, either in the press release or on the new website, linked on the other thread. Okehampton Parkway, much better located near the A30, is a possibility for the future.
Why? Running time definitely plus lack of demand (1.5m from the village and in the wrong direction for Exeter - no idea what summer Sunday demand was like!).

Very low from what I saw of it; in about 10 to 15 trips over the last four years or so, I saw one person alight there once. I never saw more than one car in the small car park.

CarrotPie

There’s some info here....

Wait a second... It says "The station might be considered too close to North Tawton to be reopened as well, but currently it is the only station between Crediton and Okehampton that actually has a useable platform." I saw on the other thread for the Dartmoor line that Sampford Courtenay didn't have a platform that was up to standards. The article also says about its frequency of services: "Sampford Courtenay – a few services should stop". Interesting. Thanks for that!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My view would be yes if possible - OK, it's not near the village, but this sort of line is often used for country walks and the likes so stations "in the middle of nowhere" do have some value. It could always be a request stop.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Basically, you're saying you want it to become a slightly less remote Berney Arms- which I'm totally on board with!

That sort of station does have a role on that sort of line, to be fair. If it doesn't cause e.g. an extra unit to be required to do hourly clockface and it's already there, then why not serve it? Probably wouldn't build it if it didn't already exist, though.

REVUpminster

Where would Okehampton Parkway be if it were to be constructed?
East Okehampton masterplan.JPG
The masterplan for Okehampton East envisages a station between an industrial estate and housing, paid for by a developer? Some of the land has been developed. I think the primary school is insitu.

Status
Not open for further replies.