• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should school meals be free for everyone?

Richard Scott

Established Member
I do think all children should get a free school meal and I bet if we simply moved away from the academy model for schools and back to government ownership/running we would save more than enough for free school meals, sorting the funding issue. Naturally there would also be savings to be had in the removal of the administration required for the current free school meals program
Unfortunately schools, like other organisations, have a lot more admin and support staff than they used to. Years ago didn't have computer networks, bet most secondary schools employ a network manager? Also I imagine there are more welfare and safeguarding staff than years ago? All of this costs money so costs rise even if standing still.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E27007

Parents: 0, schools fees aren't tax-deductible.

True , schools fees are not tax-deductable from the parents income, but tax-deductable from the grandparents income, another facet of preserving the status quo of the class system, another facet of the " leg up the ladder" method of promoting "less-able" children of the upper middle classes over working-class children

Last edited:

Richard Scott

Established Member
True , schools fees are not tax-deductable from the parents income, but tax-deductable from the grandparents income, another facet of preserving the status quo of the class system, another facet of the " leg up the ladder" method of promoting "less-able" children of the upper middle classes over working-class children
Flip side is if this allows some people to send their children to private school means less demand for state system so more money available per person for those in state system. Well, that's the theory anyway.

I think the problem more than anything will be demand management and getting the necessary staff. I work in a secondary school and only ~40% will get school dinner (with about 15% eligible for FSM). I doubt the cooks make enough meals for everyone and if the numbers double then FSM kids will end up missing lunches. Fast food places often struggle for workers and they less labour intensive.

That said, Khan recently made primary school lunches free and I have heard no chaos in their lunch halls. But I don't know what dynamics are like in primary school