• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should the Isle of Wight ferries be renationalised and better integrated with the National Rail network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgl

Established Member
Correct for Red funnel. Always private, and has run for much longer than sealink.
I believe the official name for the company that trades as Red Funnel is still (copied from the companies house website), SOUTHAMPTON ISLE OF WIGHT AND SOUTH OF ENGLAND ROYAL MAIL STEAM PACKET COMPANY LIMITED, not a modern company name!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I believe the official name for the company that trades as Red Funnel is still (copied from the companies house website), SOUTHAMPTON ISLE OF WIGHT AND SOUTH OF ENGLAND ROYAL MAIL STEAM PACKET COMPANY LIMITED, not a modern company name!

I love old company names like that. I thought it was quite sad when a Stagecoach reorg lost us the venerable "United Counties Omnibus Co., Ltd." from the legal lettering of our local Stagecoach buses, in favour of the cheap sounding "Cambus Ltd", though at least that too is a classic name to some extent.

Lewlew

It's often claimed to be the most expensive ferry service per passenger mile on the planet. Until a Wight Tunnel happens, I would nationalise Wightlink.
I believe the Gosport ferry is actually the most expensive crossing per mile (on the Solent at least)

hermit

I believe the Gosport ferry is actually the most expensive crossing per mile (on the Solent at least)

The Isle of Wight Council were fond of claiming that the Fishbourne to Portsmouth ferry was the most expensive crossing per mile in the world. They stopped using that argument when Wightlink pointed out that the chain ferry across the Medina between Cowes and East Cowes, which is operated by the IW Council, is much more expensive per mile. (And, they might have added, considerably less reliable).

The Isle of Wight Council were fond of claiming that the Fishbourne to Portsmouth ferry was the most expensive crossing per mile in the world. They stopped using that argument when Wightlink pointed out that the chain ferry across the Medina between Cowes and East Cowes, which is operated by the IW Council, is much more expensive per mile. (And, they might have added, considerably less reliable).

Hmm! Chain ferries rarely have a good reputation - the Torpoint one is similarly afflicted with chronic reliability problems.

Gloster

Established Member
Hmm! Chain ferries rarely have a good reputation - the Torpoint one is similarly afflicted with chronic reliability problems.

The previous chain ferry No. 6 (actually the eighth) was reasonably reliable, although latterly it started showing its age. The current one from 2017 had a problematic start and has since had all too many stoppages. Every time I pass the notice up by the roundabout where the East Cowes road leaves the Ryde-Newport one and see the notice saying ‘Cowes Floating Bridge operating normally’, I think, ‘Do you mean it is in operation or it is not.’ The absences of the service have been so frequent that it is difficult to know what is normal.

hermit

For those who don’t know it, I recommend the amusing ‘Floaty Finder’ app, which gives real-time information on which side of the river the ferry is, or whether it’s out of action (shown by an image of the ferry sinking!). Very useful if you want to know whether it’s worth waiting or would be quicker to drive round by Newport.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For those who don’t know it, I recommend the amusing ‘Floaty Finder’ app, which gives real-time information on which side of the river the ferry is, or whether it’s out of action (shown by an image of the ferry sinking!). Very useful if you want to know whether it’s worth waiting or would be quicker to drive round by Newport.

This is probably one of the more amusing downloads I've been made, with ZX Spectrum like graphics of Boris announcing where the boat is! :) (Image is a screenshot of this)

Attachments

• 20220624_091503000_iOS.png
    20220624_091503000_iOS.png
    401.2 KB · Views: 30

hermit

This is probably one of the more amusing downloads I've been made, with ZX Spectrum like graphics of Boris announcing where the boat is! :) (Image is a screenshot of this)
I’m not sure when Boris replaced the original chap in a hat and a hi-viz jacket. Time for him to be moved on perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.