• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should there be a set of temporary platforms made that can be used in any location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
My idea is basically a flat pack platform that takes a couple of days to set up and a couple of days to take down. Can be used anywhere in the country at short notice and boost capacity at stations like Aintree on National day.

I'm sure it's probably a crazy idea...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Something similar was done in Workington after the floods took the road bridge out
Essentially a load of scaffolding. There happened to be a suitable site with access, not affected by signalling/level crossings/etc. at just the right place at just the right time.

SynthD

If the land doesn’t have a flat foundation then it probably needs custom scaffolding to properly distribute the weight with stability.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
My idea is basically a flat pack platform that takes a couple of days to set up and a couple of days to take down. Can be used anywhere in the country at short notice and boost capacity at stations like Aintree on National day.

I'm sure it's probably a crazy idea...
No, it’s fundamentally a good idea, except as someone has explained above what’s actually needed are site-specific instructions on how to set up scaffolding and boarding as an extra platform, and local sources of scaffolding and boarding.

What I would query though is how at Aintree additional platform space would boost capacity. With very few exceptions (of which Aintree is not one) all Merseyrail Electrics stations take 6 car (507/8) trains. So even if an extended/extra platform would allow longer trains at Aintree, there would be nowhere for them to unload - particularly as the obvious destinations (Moorfields or Central for Lime Street) are underground so there’s nowhere to put a temporary platform.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There would be no benefit of this at Aintree, but it would be a useful thing to have. What happened to the Leeds Whitehall "kit"? I'm sure I recall that was being kept for a use like this if one came up.

pdeaves

Established Member
There would be no benefit of this at Aintree, but it would be a useful thing to have. What happened to the Leeds Whitehall "kit"? I'm sure I recall that was being kept for a use like this if one came up.
As well as Whitehall, Chorley had a temporary platform. I don't know if it reused anything from Whitehall.
Heathrow Junction/Interchange was, if I recall correctly, quite a substantial 'proper' structure.
Oxford Science Park was very definitely temporary (used for one day only to show off the Oxford-Cowley line to dignitaries/decision makers). That also was a scaffolding structure.

Neptune

Established Member
The shelter from Whitehall ended up dumped between platform 1 and the multi-storey at Leeds for years until the works started on platform 0. Not sure what happened to it though.

D365

Veteran Member
My first thought is, how do you make the platforms:

a) secure (i.e. sturdy)
b) accessible for all passengers

zwk500

Veteran Member
I suppose one question is how much would it cost to store, transport, erect and demount these platforms? It would be a rare site to be cheaper to put up and take down a platform every year than just to extend the normal platform the equivalent distance. It's a good idea in theory but for a temporary platform you'd need to do 95% of the things you'd need to do for a permanent platform, so it's almost always going to make sense to just have a long proper platform.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The platform would also need to be checked for route clearance

6Gman

Established Member
It can be done. It was done, for example, to extend the Down Slow platform (No. 4?) at Liverpool South Parkway during the Lime Street closure to allow Pendolinos to terminate there. And it used to be virtually standard practice for shed and works Open Days in the past.

But, as others have pointed out, you can have a standard platform in store but the locations won't be standard; each will be different.

And, again as others have pointed out, it wouldn't help at Aintree.

Established Member
Remember a temporary platform was built at Chettisham when Ely North Jn was remodelled. Bet it doesn't happen next time.

py_megapixel

Established Member
If we can get temporary platforms erected reasonably inexpensively, then could they be used to trial new station locations? Make sure that passengers use it and that there is a way of fitting calls in without wrecking the timetable, before committing to the actual construction and long-term maintenance of a complete station.

zwk500

Veteran Member
If we can get temporary platforms erected reasonably inexpensively, then could they be used to trial new station locations? Make sure that passengers use it and that there is a way of fitting calls in without wrecking the timetable, before committing to the actual construction and long-term maintenance of a complete station.
A big part of the problem with new stations is they often cause a considerable rewrite of the timetable which will be very difficult to reverse if it were closed again.

pdeaves

Established Member
A big part of the problem with new stations is they often cause a considerable rewrite of the timetable which will be very difficult to reverse if it were closed again.
and another big part of the problem with new stations is that there is a requirement for them to be fully accessible without adding level crossings. That usually means lifts for anything bigger than a single track location.

zwk500

Veteran Member
and another big part of the problem with new stations is that there is a requirement for them to be fully accessible without adding level crossings. That usually means lifts for anything bigger than a single track location.
Could you get that requirement waived in theory? On the basis it's a short-term trial and if it goes to a full-scale station then you'll make sure that is accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.