• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Should there be Extra Social Distancing Instructions for Cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thirdly, many rural communities have had issues with large scale commercial cycling events and are fed up with the problems they cause
NIMBYs. Tourism usually gets a needed boost from these events. Anyway a day of disruption from a few closed roads will seem like nothing after all this!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, but if I drove 20 miles, say from Bournemouth to the Purbecks - that is not permitted and I am liable to be told to go home and risk being fined
Taking the bus - also not allowed
Cycle there - fine.

Cycling is exercise. Driving is not, even though the spread risk is low. Taking the bus considerably elevates spread risk.

Thirdly, many rural communities have had issues with large scale commercial cycling events and are fed up with the problems they cause

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with individuals out for a solo ride, and simply shows prejudice.

Lastly, is not the overriding principle is that we should all stay at home as much as possible

Other than a list of exceptions, one of which is exercise, which is quite deliberate to prevent this becoming an obesity and mental health epidemic as well. It is not tolerated, it is allowed. The deputy CMO spoke of it being encouraged on one of the early press conferences.

Meerkat

Established Member
NIMBYs. Tourism usually gets a needed boost from these events. Anyway a day of disruption from a few closed roads will seem like nothing after all this!
Not really. They start and end in the big towns and bring everything with them.
its the MAMIL culture that upsets people. They drive in, ride, drive out. They aggressively demand good treatment from local drivers but show little consideration for them. Impose speed limits for their leisure that impact locals daily lives whilst exhibiting little safety awareness themselves (black kit, peloton riding, speeding downhill). All whilst seriously delaying locals in the popular areas.
Obviously the above is all generalisation, but that is what local people will remember, not the nice considerate chap who kept himself to himself.

AM9

Veteran Member
One problem I've observed in MK which really does cause issues with social distancing (and I've posted it here before) is a tendency for people to cycle on the right on the Redways. I think this may primarily be Eastern Europeans etc who have come over from countries where you drive on the right but haven't come over with a car so the mentality hasn't shifted.
The highway code recommends cycling on the left on two-way roads, and shared-space paths (cyclists & pedestrians). It also recommends pedestrians walking on the left on pavements, footpaths (as in pedestrians only) and shared-space paths. The only time that pedestrians should be walking on the right is when in a road where there is no footpath and on the right-hand side pavement of a one-way road. In both of those cases, the exception is to ensure that the pedestrian nearest the kerb faces the traffic. In my experience, far too many pedestrians seem to presume that walking on the right is correct because that is the norm for escalators.
When confronted with a wrong-side pedestrian, or cyclist, I just stand still on the left for a few seconds.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
its the MAMIL culture that upsets people. They drive in, ride, drive out. They aggressively demand good treatment from local drivers but show little consideration for them. Impose speed limits for their leisure that impact locals daily lives whilst exhibiting little safety awareness themselves (black kit, peloton riding, speeding downhill). All whilst seriously delaying locals in the popular areas.
Obviously the above is all generalisation, but that is what local people will remember, not the nice considerate chap who kept himself to himself.

Well done, you got most of the tired anti-cyclist cliches in but I'm docking you points as you failed to mention that cyclists go through red lights all the time and don't pay road tax.

farleigh

Ban marathons too?

341o2

Established Member
Noone is suggesting banning anything. What has been asked locally is to limit rider numbers at a particular event and to have a longer period of starting time

greyman42

Established Member
Most of the roadie-types visible round here look old enough to be retired, so I’m not convinced they’re all heading for work. Most of the rest are family groups on mountain bikes, pootling along at little more than walking pace (how much exercise value in that compared to a brisk walk?).

Personally, I’ve never found a massive amount of exercise value from cycling unless doing mega miles or flooring it especially up hills. I’ve always found I derive more value out of a good long walk.
When I go out for my run, it is not unusual for me to overtake cyclists.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As there are no proposals to introduce any further restrictions on cyclists then I think we shall call it a day on this one. If the social distancing regulations change for cyclists then please contact a member of the forum staff and we will look to have the thread reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.