• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
Just checked my dates, I`ll be at the Severn Valley gala on the saturday, be great to meet up guys, it doesnt appear to be running on the sunday though?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just checked my dates, I`ll be at the Severn Valley gala on the saturday, be great to meet up guys, it doesnt appear to be running on the sunday though?

I think it's a mixed steam and diesel day on the Sunday so could still be quite good.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
SVR gala seems to be the place to be, tempted to travel up for the Saturday

shredder1

Established Member
London, (Day 3). Sunday 23rd April 2017.

I had arranged a trip down to visit the Epping and Ongar Railway, who were holding a two day diesel gala and I also spent a day in London, staying over for 3 nights in total.

My last night at the Hostel from Hell was over, and I made my way down the hill to the main line station this time, at Woolwich Arsenal and caught a Southeast train directly to London Charing Cross. It had been my intention to visit the Epping and Ongar gala for both days, but they didn’t sell a two day ticket, and I`d seen everything running on the first day anyway, it was an excellent event. I however decided that I`d have a day just around London, always plenty to see and do in the Capital.

My day in London was planned for two things, firstly I wanted to visit Clapham Junction and see the new Class 707`s and secondly I also wanted to travel on the Heathrow main line airport connection. After changing at Charing Cross, I took another train back into London Bridge as I`d seen a class 319 parked in one of the bay platforms and wanted to photograph it. This was the day of the London Marathon, and I took a photograph of the train I`d arrived on and also the station sign when one of the platform staff came up to me and asked had I just taken a photograph, I said yes, and he said I`m sorry sir but you are not allowed to take photographs on the station? He was polite enough and I asked him where he had got his information from and he told me it was policy. I explained the guidance to enthusiasts and photographers and how Network Rail advertise that we are welcome at railway stations, but he didn’t appear to understand this or indeed what I was telling him, I said I signed in last time I was at London Bridge, but he just repeated that photography was not allowed, so I asked him to take me to see his manager, which he did.

We went down the escalators and found his manager who repeated what the platform staff member had told me and I again repeated to him the guidance and told him I was happy to sign in if he wished, but he also kept repeating himself, so I asked to see his manager. The second manager came along and said they had some policy on photography, which was not available to the general public, this seemed a bit strange, when I explained the guidance to him he said I`ll take you along to the office to sign in, no sooner had he said this than the first manager I had spoken too, said he had told me to sign in, he lied and I told him so, to which his manager said he is an experienced member of staff, (experienced in lying I presume).

This had gone on for about 20 minutes and in the end I said forget it lads; I walked to the bay platforms and took a few photographs of a 319 in there, which is all I`d got off for anyway. The annoying thing was, was that it was the day of the London Marathon and the likes of Superman and Spiderman et al were snapping away on mobile phones on the platforms and no one said a dickybird. Maybe I should have gone along as Batman; the staff at London Bridge possibly have a fear of superheroes. (I`ve since been reliably informed that staff have been re-briefed on the guidance via Network Rail`s Press Office).

I returned to Waterloo and took another train out to Clapham Junction for the 707`s and was surprised to see how many of these new EMU`s were parked up in the sidings. Returning to Waterloo, I took the underground to Paddington for the line to Heathrow Airport on a standard service, (the Heathrow Express is ridiculously expensive), even so I still had to pay a supplement from Hayes and Harlington, £8 plus, despite having a travel card, not sure how they justify this, possibly the airport charging like at Edinburgh.

After visiting the terminal main line stations Terminal 4 and 2 & 3, (I`ve covered the Underground lines on a previous visit), but had to return by Underground to Action Town and Ealing Broadway to save an hour`s wait for the non-express service. From Ealing Broadway I returned to London Paddington.

My next move was to take the tube to London Euston to see what was around, while later walking over to St Pancras International and finally Kings Cross as I was travelling up to stay at my son`s house in Sandy for the night before returning north the following day. Fish and chips for tea in Sandy washed down by a few beers at number one son`s, it had been a good trip.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...83700572479.1073742732.100001125840218&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Mega harsh on the photography issue!

The chippy in Sandy, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants the name and directions!

shredder1

Established Member
Sandy to Manchester, (Day 4). Monday 24th April 2017.

I had arranged a trip down to visit the Epping and Ongar Railway, who were holding a two day diesel gala and I also spent a day in London, staying over for 3 nights in total.

After a great night and catch up at number one son`s in Sandy, and taking him for breakfast in Chunky`s, the next morning, I said my goodbyes and departed for home. I`d decided to run back via Peterborough and Doncaster and after spending sometime on Peterborough station, took the dog-box via Spalding, Sleaford, Lincoln and Gainsborough, I prefer that route than whizzing up the ECML.

Doncaster was busy and I usually have an hour on the station when passing through. I finally caught a TPX 185 back into Manchester Piccadilly, it had been a great trip away, many thanks for reading, hope you`ve enjoyed the photographs.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742734.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

shredder1

Established Member
Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala Railway, (Day 1). Thursday 27th April 2017.

I was back in Wales again for 4 days, meeting up with Colin Dale for a tour of the work the lads have been doing on the former Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala Railway, the Ffestiniog Quirks & Curiosities II gala, the Talyllyn 1980`s Gala and the Welsh Highland and Welsh Highland Heritage Railways, while staying at the YHA Cwm Pennant Hostel Golan, Criccieth, LL51 9AQ, I can recommend it.

I drove down to Blaenau Ffestiniog early on Thursday morning and met Colin Dale in the car park near the station. Colin, a successful businessman is a larger than like character, a man who gets things done, a problem solver and also a man of great insight and knowledge. He is the leading luminary behind the project to re-open the line from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Trawsfynydd and possibly beyond. When I first read about the work being done on this line, I thought it was just around the Blaenau Ffestiniog section as it leaves the station, this in itself must have been a task and half, I visited this area a few years ago and it was like a jungle literally. However, the group however have done much more than that and also have an office in the former Maentwrog Road station, in the old signal box and have also acquired the good shed, (which Network Rail didn’t know existed), and again cleared the overgrown yard it occupies.

The entire track bed from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Trawsfynydd is in-tacked and was upgraded prior to the line`s closure, nature took its course however and the track bed is still very much overgrown in parts. Colin took me in his classic Mercedes first to see the station site of Maentwrog Road, were I visited his office signal box and the lady of the station house made a brew for us. We then visited various sections of the track bed to the buffers at Trawsfynydd and beyond to Trawsfynydd station, which is now in private hands, but with many reminders of its former use and both platforms still in place.

Next we visited the yard and Weigh Bridge and then the quarry and station site at Arenig, but found nothing of the former station, we picked up the track bed at Frongach and found a few bridges and the old station house and signal box which are presently being converted into a self-catering residency. We also visited the station house and site at Cwm Prysor, presently derelict after the owner went on the run, after his wife died and he buried her in the station yard and the poor guy had mental health issues, and at one point started to tunnel under the main road, but a story by itself. We also visited and walk a section of the track bed over the magnificent Nant Prysor Viaduct. We then followed the track bed to Tryweryn Reservoir and the flooded the village of Capel Celyn, https://www.youtube.com/watch?

Colin took his car along parts of the track bed, places I wouldn’t dare drive, unless I had a 4x4, it was an amazing visit though and a great insight into the Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala former railway line, thank you so much for a great day out Colin and I wish you every success with the project and look forward to reading about the progress you and the lads are making down there.

Colin also gave me a magnificent painting of a GWR pannier tank with one coach in tow, south of Trawsfynydd clinging to the ledge on the mountainside north of Nant Prysor Viaduct; it now takes pride of place on my chimney breast.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742736.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Very interesting. I must admit I have been a bit sceptical about the project to reopen the Trawsfynydd branch. Now that they've cleared some of the trackbed what sort of condition is the railway in?
Do they have any stock there yet?

shredder1

Established Member
Very interesting. I must admit I have been a bit sceptical about the project to reopen the Trawsfynydd branch. Now that they've cleared some of the trackbed what sort of condition is the railway in?
Do they have any stock there yet?

Yes its certainly a big job, the track is in good condition, Network Rail had upgraded it prior to closure, the group have no rolling stock at present

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wait, this is a serious proposal to re-open the line? I honestly thought someone (whoever it was) was winding me up when they suggested it was to be re-opened.

However, your post has confirmed it's actually pretty serious and I'm now quite happy to support the mission. From what I vaguely remember of the line in the atlas before it was taken out of action, and eventually the atlas too, it's quite a long line.

It sounds like an incredibly huge mission, but they've made good progress so far. I trust you'll keep us all updated in the future :)

As for the chippy in Sandy, that sounds excellent and I'll be hunting it down the day I finally get to scoring that shack :)

shredder1

Established Member
Wait, this is a serious proposal to re-open the line? I honestly thought someone (whoever it was) was winding me up when they suggested it was to be re-opened.

However, your post has confirmed it's actually pretty serious and I'm now quite happy to support the mission. From what I vaguely remember of the line in the atlas before it was taken out of action, and eventually the atlas too, it's quite a long line.

It sounds like an incredibly huge mission, but they've made good progress so far. I trust you'll keep us all updated in the future :)

As for the chippy in Sandy, that sounds excellent and I'll be hunting it down the day I finally get to scoring that shack :)

Yes I must admit, I thought it was just a few guys clearing away some vegetation in the town, the day really opened my eyes, but yes its certainly a huge mission.

On Sandy, you really must try Chunky`s for breakfast, just down the road from the chippy, :D

shredder1

Established Member
Ffestiniog Railway, (Day 2). Thursday 27th April 2017.

I was back in Wales again for 4 days, meeting up with Colin Dale for a tour of the work the lads have been doing on the former Blaenau Ffestiniog to Bala Railway, the Ffestiniog Quirks & Curiosities II gala, the Talyllyn 1980`s Gala and the Welsh Highland and Welsh Highland Heritage Railways, while staying at the YHA Cwm Pennant Hostel Golan, Criccieth, LL51 9AQ, I can recommend it.

After a good night’s sleep in the Cwm Pennant Hostel, I was up early and out by 07.00. I was in a large mixed dorm, but with only one other person sharing and he was there for the railway event also.

The hostel was well off the beaten track, but only 5 miles away from Porthmadog, so it didn’t take me long to drive into town. I never really eat in hostels, I can`t cook anyway. I found an excellent café for breakfast in Porthmadog on the High Street, which opened each morning at 07.30, I ordered full English, but was quickly corrected; we only serve a full Welsh, which surprised me as there was a Bury Black Pudding in there, chilling out at the side of the egg.

I waiting for the station to open up and had a look around the shop and later bought a rover ticket for the day, it was a little more expensive than I`d expected. This was also my first visit since the new Welsh Highland platform had been built, an excellent edition that extends the station considerable and allows for more operations. I caught the first train to the top of the line at Blaenau Ffestiniog and returned on the same train. I next caught a train out to Pont Croesor on the Welsh Highland Line; the Ffestiniog Railway was operating a shuttle service to this location with various engines throughout the weekend. One of the locomotives failed however as we were about to leave Pont Croesor, and we were top and tailed, so a third engine, Linda had to be brought down the line to take our train back to Porthmadog; this gave some extra photographic opportunities.

I spent the rest of the day just photting around the station and the Cob and later visited Boston Lodge workshops and sheds, the staff are very friendly and don`t appear to mind visitors walking around, to be polite though its best to ask first. It had been a really good day and I also found an excellent chip shop which was open every day, Allport`s fish and chips, so that was supper sorted out. The drive back to the hostel was a pleasant one, I showered, broke out a few beers in the community room and watched a film on the Kindle 10, no television in the hostel and a poor internet server, but it was fine and located in a lovely wooded area.

A new chap had arrived in the dorm on Friday evening and he was also an enthusiast down for the event, so now there were three of us to talk trains all-night. The beer went down superbly and I again slept well, it had been a good day.

http://www.festrail.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...78426989673.1073742737.100001125840218&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
On Sandy, you really must try Chunky`s for breakfast, just down the road from the chippy, :D

You've got the stomach rumbling now! Off I go to the kitchen for some homemade cake :D

The Blaenau narrow guage line sounds fun, I really want to get it covered one day. Same with the other lines up there actually.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Swanage diesel gala was brilliant. Decided to do SVR diesel gala as well

shredder1

Established Member
You've got the stomach rumbling now! Off I go to the kitchen for some homemade cake :D

The Blaenau narrow guage line sounds fun, I really want to get it covered one day. Same with the other lines up there actually.

Haha, great cafe. Yes those narrow gauge lines in Wales are something else, I`ve done them all over the years, really worth a look.

shredder1

Established Member
Talyllyn Railway, (Day 3). Saturday 29th April 2017.

I was again up early at the Cwm Pennant Hostel, my two roommates were heading back to the Ffesiniog Railway, but I`d decided to drive down to the Talyllyn Railway, claimed to be the World’s first preserved railway. I`d not been down there for a while and they were advertising an 1980`s event. It took me around an hour to drive down there and I took breakfast in the station cafe at Tywyn Wharf as I arrived.

Diesel Shunter number 12 Cadfan was shunting around the yard and Kerr Stuart Number 4 Edward Thomas who took the first train up the line to Nant Gwernol, the locomotive then runs around its train and returns to Abergynolwyn to give passengers time for a drink and something to eat in the station café. I waited for the next train to come up the line which was behind Number 7 Tom Rolt and took it back to the top of the line at Nant Gwernol again returning to Abergynolwyn, (and another brew), before returning down the valley as far as Pendre and visiting the locomotive depot, I then walked back to Tywyn Wharf before driving back up to Porthmadog.

I returned to the Ffestiniog Railway gala, arriving by around 15.00 and in time to still catch a bit of action around Porthmadog, before visiting the chippy again, and a few beers at the hostel before turning in, another great day.

http://talyllyn.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...94583534724.1073742739.100001125840218&type=3

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds a good day! I'm hoping to conquer the Talyllyn this summer. Despite not living all that far away, compared to a lot of forum members, it's really difficult for me to get to and back in one day!

shredder1

Established Member
Sounds a good day! I'm hoping to conquer the Talyllyn this summer. Despite not living all that far away, compared to a lot of forum members, it's really difficult for me to get to and back in one day!

Make the effort Techniquest, I`ll guarantee you`ll enjoy it mate.

shredder1

Established Member
Welsh Highland Railway, (Day 4). Sunday 30th April 2017.

Welsh Highland Railway and the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway.

I was up at the hostel by 06.00, the dormer however had filled up in the night and with girls too, it was mixed and the first sight that met my eyes while I was climbing out of the bunk was a pretty young student type, sat in her undies and playing with her Iphone, yes not bad value for money those hostels. I made my way down to the kitchen to make a coffee, the kitchen had been destroyed however by the Chinese family the night before, I hope they cleaned up before they left.

My plan was to drive into Porthmadog, breakfast in my favourite café, a full Welsh, (with a Bury Black Pudding in the middle), and then visit Boston Lodge workshops sheds, this I did and it was a great morning for it, the weather had changed a little and the sun was coming out.

It was essentially to be a Welsh Highland Railway day, or should I say Railways, there`s two of them, the big one that takes you up to Caernarfon and the smaller Welsh Highland Heritage Railway, which although much smaller is well worth a visit, for the museum alone.

I did intend riding the Welsh Highland to Caernarfon, but this was my last day and I also wanted to visit the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway, a railway I`d not visited before, so I took the Welsh Highland Railway to the halfway point at Rhyd Ddu and met the returning Garratt to take me back down the mountain to Porthmadog and that was over a 4 hour run alone.

The Welsh Highland Heritage Railway is well worth a visit, a small narrow gauge tank locomotive takes you to the end of the line were it meets the Welsh Highland Line at Cyffordd Pen-y-Mount, runs round her coaches and then returns to the museum to give visitors time to have a look around at the exhibits and also ride on the children`s miniature railway, (yes I did), visitors then return on the train back to the main station, which is nearly opposite the main line, Network Rail station.

I paid my last visit to the chip shop; yes it was open on a Sunday and then set the Satnav, which took me back to Manchester via Bala, following much of the same route Colin had taken me 3 days before. It’s always nice to arrive home after sometime away, a well-deserved bottle of 15 year old single malt was waiting for me, I hope you`ve enjoyed reading my scribblings and the photographs, many thanks.

http://www.festrail.co.uk/

http://www.whr.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...1073742740.100001125840218&type=3&pnref=story

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's a different way to start your day! :lol:

I'm definitely going to get to the Talyllyn one day, so many little lines to do! As it's required track, I must make sure I deal with it though. Might be something I do in just under 3 weeks time actually...

shredder1

Established Member
That's a different way to start your day! :lol:

I'm definitely going to get to the Talyllyn one day, so many little lines to do! As it's required track, I must make sure I deal with it though. Might be something I do in just under 3 weeks time actually...

The best way to start the day, lol The Welsh Narrow Gauge are so unique, quite a number of them too, amazing things in amazing countryside, the Welsh Highland however is the jewel in the crown, for me at least. South African Garratts in Wales.

noddy1878

Established Member
Just had a massive catch up! Sounded like a right farce at London Bridge. Clearly they didn't know what the Network Rail guidelines are.

Sounds like a lot of good work going on in Blaenau Ffestiniogg and the line clearance. The other lines sounded great too. I've only ever done the Blaenau Narrow Gauge line and enjoyed it a lot despite the weather's best attempt to show everything in a bad light!

shredder1

Established Member
Just had a massive catch up! Sounded like a right farce at London Bridge. Clearly they didn't know what the Network Rail guidelines are.

Sounds like a lot of good work going on in Blaenau Ffestiniogg and the line clearance. The other lines sounded great too. I've only ever done the Blaenau Narrow Gauge line and enjoyed it a lot despite the weather's best attempt to show everything in a bad light!

Thank you very much Noddy, yes the Welsh weather can be hit and miss at times, great when you do catch it right of course.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I love the narrow gauge lines in Wales. The Ffestiniog is superb, I've been on it a few times now. The Talyllin again I've been on a few times and it's beautiful. I need The Welsh Highland still although I've walked bits of it years ago long before it was reopened.
Lovely part of the world I must say.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I love the narrow gauge lines in Wales. The Ffestiniog is superb, I've been on it a few times now. The Talyllin again I've been on a few times and it's beautiful. I need The Welsh Highland still although I've walked bits of it years ago long before it was reopened.
Lovely part of the world I must say.

I need to go and bash the lines in wales, nearest ive had is Lynton-Barnstaple railway.