• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester-Merseyside. Saturday 2nd December 2023.

I noticed on the Internet that Merseyrail staff had put one of the class 507 emu`s back in original BR blue livery, a few of us were hoping they would do this. I also learned that it would be in service on the Saturday. So, a trip over to Liverpool was in order.

After catching an early tram into Manchester, the first Transpennine had cancelled the train I was due to catch, so it was turned 08.30 by the time the next one was due. I did however managed to photograph Class 60076 on a Westbound Drax working while waiting.

First stop in Liverpool was the Northwestern, (Wetherspoon), for an egg benedict and a hot coffee or two, I was then off down the tunnels and heading for the Wirral lines in search of the Blue Class 507 (001). The first train I caught was up to New Brighton so that I could pass Birkenhead North depot and make sure the 507 wasn’t on shed. I later found out it was working on the West Kirby Liverpool path all day, so I returned to Birkenhead North and caught up with it returning to Liverpool, I then caught the next West Kirby service to wait for it at Bidston.

From Bidston I caught the next train to Leasowe and waited for the 507 to return, and boarded her to West Kirby via the Liverpool loop. After photographing her leaving West Kirby, I went into the town for a bag of chips and a brew to warm me up, it was certainly a very colds day.

From West Kirby station I caught a train to the next station out, Hoylake, which has a unique and classical Wirral design station building. I waited here for the 507 to return, but it didn’t, in fact there were major delays on the line. Apparently, the doors on the new class 777, had failed at Birkenhead Hamilton Square. I caught the next train back into Birkenhead North were the service terminated because of the delays, this was the first time I had seen all 3 platforms at Birkenhead North with trains standing on them, as we had to change for a returning New Brighton service. The Blue class 507 was however the next train up from Liverpool, so I managed to take my last images of the day as she headed back to West Kirby.

I returned on the next service to Liverpool Lime Street and caught a Transpennine Nova 1 IET to Manchester Victoria and then an unusually packed tram back to the car at Crumpsall, another great day out.

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester to Preston. Chasing Hoovers. Saturday 9th December 2023.

A pair of Hoovers on a charter, were visiting Manchester, for the Christmas Markets, which after dropping off at Manchester, and travelling up from London Euston into Manchester Victoria via Denton and Ashton Moss Junction, was operating a second working to Bolton and Preston. So, I was on home ground this Saturday.

I did consider taking the car and catching up with the charter on the Denton line, but the weather didn’t look too promising, so instead I opted to head for Stockport initially and she passed through 15 down, slow running, so we could get some decent photographs. Unfortunately, it was top and tailed and not double-headed, but still it was nice to see a pair of Hoovers back in Manchester again.

After the charter passed through Stockport, I caught an Avanti Pendolino back into Manchester Piccadilly and a Northern class 331Blackpool service to Bolton, where I caught up with the charter again, this time it was stopped for an hour and half, so plenty of time to take photographs.

From Bolton I headed for Preston, on a Northern class 195 Barrow service, to get in front of the charter, arriving in time for photographs as it arrived into Preston, thus giving more photographic opportunities on the station. Quite a lot of young and ignorant veg was jumping in front of us and then standing there, while we were trying to take photographs, but I did eventually manage to get the photographs I wanted.

I returned from Preston on a Northern class 331 back into Deansgate station Manchester and walked across the bridge to catch a Metrolink tram into Manchester Victoria, again to get in front of the charter returning. I arrived well in time to catch up with the charter both arriving and leaving Manchester Victoria, plenty of cranks out taking photographs and being courteous to fellow photographers. I later caught the Metrolink back to my car at Crumpsall and the short drive home. It had been a good one and a cheap one for a change.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester to Peterborough. Friday 15th December 2023.

A change this weekend. Number one Son, had just bought a new house in Peterborough, after selling up in Sandy, where he been for the last 8 years or so. I was down to see it and stay over the weekend. A nice private estate which backs on to the river Nene, as he enjoys his fishing.

I finished work at 16.00 on the Friday afternoon, drove home, grabbed the rucksack and camera, and took a 59 bus into Manchester Piccadilly. I had just missed a direct East Midland service from Manchester to Peterborough, but it was a nice evening, so I caught a Transpennine 185 to Sheffield with a change for an East Midland Class 158 into Nottingham and then another East Midland class 158 to Peterborough.

My son picked me up at the station, took me for some supper in the city and then back to his new house. Nice to see how the other half live, but then again, he is a solicitor.

shredder1

Established Member
Nene Valley Railway. Saturday 16th December 2023.

After a good night’s sleep in my son’s new house in Peterborough. I was very kindly taken over to Wansford, on the Nene Valley Railway. Its only a 20 minutes’ drive from my son`s, and we arrived at the height of the Santa Specials, so It was quite busy, but we had plenty of time to walk around and check out the charity and bookshops.

Rostered

Two Santa Specials were operating, with ex War Department Hunslet built Austerity 0-6-0ST No. 3193, and Stanier Black 5 45212 and British Rail 0-6-0 diesel hydraulic class 14 9529 operating on tailing duties to help bring each train back to Wansford.

After a few hours at Wansford, we drove back into Peterborough for a late lunch and a look around the city, before returning to my son’s house for the evening. It had been a good day out and nice to catch up.

shredder1

Established Member
Peterborough. Sunday 17th December 2023.

Sunday morning arrived too quickly, and it was nice to catch up with number one son and see his new house. After a walk along the banks of the river Nene and then lunch in the city, it was time to say goodbye. I did however spend an hour of so on the station before getting a direct East Midlands, class 170 directly to Manchester. Arriving into Piccadilly for around 17.30 and then catching a bus home, it had been a great weekend away.

shredder1

Established Member
Bristol Parkway, Cardiff, and Valleys. Wednesday 27th December 2023.

Christmas was on the horizon, (they keep coming), and I`d had an invite from an old girlfriend down in Bristol, to go and stay with her over the holiday, add to the fact that she`s an excellent cook and doesn’t live too far away from Bristol Parkway, how could I resist.

I finished work at 15.00 on Friday 22nd December, drove home, grabbed my pre-packed wheelie case, and caught a direct Cross Country Voyager service from Manchester Piccadilly to Bristol Parkway, followed by a number 19 bus to my friend’s house in Downend. It was nice to catch up, and I had a lovely meal waiting for me on arrival.

My intention was to stay until the following Friday and to get a few days out in-between. The weather wasn’t very good over the Christmas period, because of rain and high winds, in fact, parts of the country were hit by Storm Gerrit, and although my friend chose not to brave the weather, it certainly didn’t stop me.

Unfortunately, buses from Downend, didn’t start running until just before 10.00 over the Christmas week, the 09.48 being the first one to Bristol Parkway, so I was limited on how far I could get. On my first day out, I headed under the Severn tunnel and into Cardiff.

I hadn’t been down to the Valleys for over two years and the Stadler Flirt class 231 DMU`s were just beginning trials. They are now in full active service on the Rhymney line., while the wires have gone up on the Merthyr line in readiness for the new 398 Metro train-trams, which are due to be in passenger service by next summer. New facilities, have been built at Taffs Well on a spur off the main line, with a large new depot and extensive holding sidings. A considerable investment by the Welsh Government.

On arrival into Cardiff Central, on a GWR IET class 800 series. I walked out to the Great Western Wetherspoons, for a late breakfast. Ordering a full English, I was quickly corrected, “we only sell full Welsh breakfasts here,” (don’t you just love the Welsh).

The rain was quite heavy as I returned to the station and caught one of the new Stadler Flirt class 321`s all the way up the valley to Rhymney and back down to Cardiff Queen Street. My next move was a Sprinter class 150 to Taffs Well, to see the new train-tram depot, I was surprised at how many train-trams had been delivered. Good views of the tram depot can be had from the station footbridge. I later returned to Queen Street, and then Cardiff Central for my train back to Bristol Parkway, a short day by my standards, but nice to get out all the same.

shredder1

Established Member
Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, and Westbury. Thursday 28th December 2023.

Christmas was on the horizon, (they keep coming), and I`d had an invite from an old girlfriend down in Bristol, to go and stay with her over the holiday period, add to the fact that she`s an excellent cook and doesn’t live too far away from Bristol Parkway, how could I resist.

My second day out over the Christmas week, this day I was heading for Westbury, so it was the 09.48 number 19 bus to Bristol Parkway again, (the first bus out), for a direct service at 10.45 to Westbury, but it was over 30 minutes down. It did however make some time up by missing a few stations out en route.

Westbury had always been a good area for freight working, especially in the days of the class 56s. I was hoping for some action, but two class 66s were shunting in the yards, a class 70 parked up at the top of the yard and a class 67 parked at the end of the platforms new extended platforms.

I later retuned as far as Bristol Temple Meads for a few hours, before catching a train back up to Bristol Parkway and a bus back to Downend. I was returning to Manchester the following day, so needed to get back to Linda`s a bit early so that I could start packing. It had been a lovely week down there though and in some excellent company, but I had put a bit more weight on, so it was good to get back to the gym once I got home.

shredder1

Established Member
Severn Valley Railway, Winter Steam Gala. Saturday 6th January 2024.

First gala of the year, so I was up at 03.30 for the drive into Manchester and the infamous 05.11 Cross Country Voyager to Wolverhampton with a change for Smethwick Gaton Bridge and then Kidderminster for the Severn Valley Railway arriving by around 08.30.

It was largely a dark and depressing day, with very few sunny flashes, but the rain kept off, which was the main thing for me. I wasn’t riding and had mainly gone down for No. 2253 Omaha the S-160 class 2-8-0 "Consolidation" type steam locomotive built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, but it had failed and was apparently parked up at Bridgenorth

Locomotives rostered were LMS 2968 – first gala appearance following overhaul, the locomotive returns initially as LMS No 2968 before a visit to the paint shop in the new year for full lining out and conversion to original 1934 “as built” condition.

GWR 7812 Erlestoke Manor – returns to the SVR after a season on hire to the West Somerset Railway. On 26 August 2016, the engine achieved 100,000 miles of running in preservation, the event being commemorated with a special headboard announcing “Still going strong — 100,000 miles”.

LMS 43106 – last appearance before the expiry of its boiler certificate. 43106 was one of the SVR’s early locomotives, arriving ‘light engine’ direct from Lostock Hall on 2 August 1968 and working services on the official opening day in May 1970.

SR 21C127 Taw Valley – the locomotive is temporarily painted in an inauthentic SR wartime black livery as 21C127, to be followed by a valve and piston exam and intermediate overhaul, commencing after the Winter Steam Gala.

GWR 7714 – working local services on both days following remedial work. In its working life, Pannier tanks could be found at work all over the former GWR system and although designed primarily for shunting duties, they were regularly used on local freight and passenger workings.

BR 75069 – now operating on both days to replace S160 Omaha, 75069 was one of the final batch allocated to the BR Southern Region which were built with a larger tender.

I used various locations around the station, for photography, including the footbridge bridge as I had taken a small stool to stand on. I caught up with a few friends and managed to spend around £50 on books as they had a book sale upstairs in the museum, I really should avoid those places).

I took breakfast in the station café at Kidderminster and I should have remembered from last time, it wasn’t great and probably the last time I have one of these. It can’t be easy trying to run a railway event and provide a decent breakfast, although some railways manage it, some using outside caterers of course. I always try to support preserved railways by eating on site, unless the services can be improved down at Kidderminster, sadly Ill have to eat elsewhere.

It was a great gala though and it would have been nice to stay the two days, but I wanted to get back as I had a few jobs on the house wanted doing the following day. Well done to everyone involved, a great job guys.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly-Stockport. Saturday 3rd February 2024.

Slowly getting back into things after a few weeks of not feeling so good. I needed to get back to normality. I opted for a few hours around Manchester, I was really hoping to catch up with one of the recently transferred West Midland class 323s still in the gold livery, but no luck with them, I’m not even sure where they are stored, I certainly didn’t see any on Ardwick, Longsight or Stockport, unless they were tucked away somewhere.

The highlight was to catch up with the TfW WAG with class 67008 leading, I rode behind it to Stockport. Also, Freightliner class 66520 passed southbound. Several of the new TFW class 197s were also noted on various workings. It was good to get out again, even for only a few hours.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Sunday 18th February 2024.

The East Lancs Railway had not been operating in January, so it was nice to return for my weekly book searching, and I managed to spend £35 on my visit, always a few rarities seem to turn up.

It was a nice surprise to see a Sprinter class 153 317 parked up next to the standard 4 Group coach, a privately owned vehicle in a modified grey livery for rail work and a nice little earner for the East Lancs Railway.

Locomotives operating was BR Black, Jubilee 45690 Leander
BR Co Co class 50 0015 Valiant
Hunslet 2890 0-6-0 Douglas on the dining train
Class 09024/D4112 in BR Rail freight livery on shunting duties.

I spent a few hours at Bury Bolton Street station and on the way home called in at Heywood to catch Leander making her last trip of the day back to Bury, a satisfying few hours.

shredder1

Established Member
West Yorkshire Day Rover. Saturday 24th February 2024.

I was heading over the hill, to good old Yorkshire, not too early a start. I was at Manchester Victoria for 08.00. Having a GM pass enables me to buy a ticket from Greenfield to Marsden, even if the train does not stop at those stations, I could also buy a West Yorkshire Day Rover ticket at Manchester Victoria. All that was fine, but they had forgotten to tell me that Huddersfield station was closed and trains were crossing the Pennines via the Calder Valley line, thus rendering my gap tickets useless.

The first train of the day I caught was a Transpennine class 185, alighting at Brighouse, which was very misty at the time. The next train I caught was a Transpennine class 802 to Dewsbury, a beautiful listed stone-built station. My next move was a Northern class 158 to Leeds. Its nice to see the class 91s still operating into Leeds, and while I was there 91105 was departing, 91109 arrived and before I departed from Leeds 91110 “For the Fallen” arrived.

I later boarded a Northern class 158 to Castleford, intime for a Freightliner class 66 convoy of 66953, 66513 and 66570 and I also stepped onto the new platform for the first time. I would have caught a Transpennine on the new service to York, but none were running. The weather had turned lovely and sunny, so I walked into the town and had lunch in the “Winter Seam” Wetherspoons, ham, eggs, and chips with as many coffees as you can drink, £4.90, you can`t complain about that.

Returning to Leeds on another Northern Sprinter class 158, I next took a Northern class 195 to Bradford Interchange, where I walked across the city to Bradford`s second station, Bradford Forster Square, catching a class 333 back into Leeds, under the wires this time.

My final train of the day was a Transpennine class 185 across the Calder Valley line via Dewsbury, arriving back into Manchester Victoria for circa 18.00, a great day out and a cheap one too.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester and Preston. Wednesday 28th February 2024.

I was out midweek for a change, essentially trying to catch up with one of the West Midland class 323s that have recently been transferred to the Northwest. I found one parked up in the sidings at Preston, but only managed a distant shot of it, (323 208). It was working though, I suspect on the Blackpool line driver training, as it had moved off the sidings later in the afternoon.

I was up at 06.00 and down to the gym for a few hours, returning home for around 09.00 and driving down to Crumpsall tram station. I took a Metrolink tram into Manchester Piccadilly, nothing out of the ordinary on the station, so I caught a Northern class 331 via Bolton to Preston. Not much freight around, although DRS Class 68 017 “Hornet” passed through the station light engine to Carlisle Kingmoor. At Preston I walked down Fishergate to the “Twelve Tellers” Wetherspoon for lunch.

I later returned to Manchester Piccadilly on another Northern class 331, arriving back into the city for around 16.00. The weather was overcast with light rain at times, a very enjoyable few hour`s though.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester and Wigan. Friday 8th March 2024.

An early session at the gym at 06.00, I must be mad, then dropped the car off at my garage, the power steering has gone. However, I returned home, grabbed a camera, and decided on a run out with my free GM bus, tram and rail pass. I boarded a number 59 bus to Bowker Vale Metrolink station and caught a tram direct to Manchester Piccadilly for a few hours on the platforms, I was half hoping to catch up with one of the recently transferred West Midland class 323s, but didn’t have any luck. I was however pleasantly surprised at finding Colas Rail Class 37, 37057, parked in the bay, in front of platform 1, I think the last time I saw a class 37 in Piccadilly was in the days of the Harwich Boat Trains. The TfW WAG arrived around 12.20, behind class 67025, its always great to catch up with these trains.

I later caught a train down to Oxford Road, as Id been waiting for a freight due off Trafford Park at 12.30, after waiting until 13.00 for it at Piccadilly, I though Id catch up with it coming through Oxford Road maybe, however, it passed my train as I was arriving, just my luck, I really should study Realtime Trains more carefully. The Bi Modal FLEX (BMU), converts Northern class 769s now operate from Manchester Oxford Road bay platform to Southport, via Wigan Wallgate, so I travelled up there, and just managed a quick picture of a binliner with a EWS liveried class 66059, as it immerged from the tunnel. I returned from Wigan on another Northern Class 769 back to Manchester Oxford Road with a change for Piccadilly and then back on a bus home, must admit I’m a bit lost without the car, it won’t stop me getting out and about though and should be back on Monday anyway.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester and Crewe. Saturday 9th March 2024.

Alarm set for 07.00, so a lie in for me, the car was still in doc until Monday, so I was on the bus again. I decided to head for Crewe, always good for a few surprises. My first surprise of the day was a recently transferred West Midland liveried class 323 (220), at last, this time parked in platform 12 at Manchester Piccadilly station. The class 37 from the day before had gone, after apparently spending 2 days in the bay line next to platform 1.

I caught an Avanti Pendolino to Crewe, arriving for circa 10.30 and in time to see a TfW WAG behind class 67013 heading towards Manchester. An ex-Greater Anglian class 321 (341), was parked up on the Thunderbird siding. was parked up on the Thunderbird siding. The other highlight for me was my first view of the West Midland new Class 730 (010), initially in the Chester bay Platforms, but later it was operating on driver training trials.

I stayed around the station area until around 14.30, caught up with a few friends both old and new and generally made a record of the workings through the station. The day started off dull and overcast but later, towards the afternoon, we had a few clear sunny periods. A nice day out.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
Altrincham, Greater Manchester. Monday 11th March 2024.

Another early session in the gym, (06.00), and then a bus to Bowker Vale Metrolink station and a tram down to Altrincham, Navigation Road. I was essentially chasing freight workings on this section of line, which according to Realtime Trains produces several workings over a 24-hour period. I Arrived at around 11.30, later moving down to Altrincham`s main station, and leaving by tram, just after 15.00, and the freight was steady all day. While it was also nice to capture freight locos at the side of Metrolink Trams at Navigation Road.

The following freight movements were recorded, 66720 GBRf livery, 66028 EWS livery, 66524 Freightliner livery, 66601 Freightliner livery, 60076 Colas Livery, 66171 EWS livery and 66505 Freightliner livery. Quite a good location for freight around the Manchester area and it wasn’t too cold for standing around today, so a nice change of location.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Steam Gala, Legends of Steam. Saturday 16th, Sunday 17th March 2024.

Local ground again this weekend, and the East Lancashire railway`s winter steam gala. I did intend doing the Friday also, as this was a 3-day event, but the power steering pump had gone in my car, so it would have been a bit difficult really, for what I wanted to do, without a car, and the weather wasn’t really great on the Friday anyway.

Having picked up the car Friday evening, Saturday morning saw me up early and driving up the M66 bound for Ramsbottom sidings, while I waited for 70000 “Britannia”, double heading with 60007 “Sir Nigel Gresley” carrying the BR standard blue livery.

I spent most of the morning in Ramsbottom sidings, the weather was unusually good, with blue skies and plenty of sunshine, I later drove down to Burrs and the Bank, but the weather had changed considerably, becoming event colder with light rain at times. My final move of the day, was to the viewing area in the museum yard, to capture Lancashire and Yorkshire 0-6-0 ST and later 70000 “Britannia”, before driving home.

Sunday morning saw me in the gym for 08.00, followed by a late Wetherspoons breakfast, and then a drive up the M66, to Ramsbottom railway station this time. I arrived on the platforms just after 11.00 and in time to see the Lancashire and Yorkshire saddle tank arriving and later making its way across to Ramsbottom sidings. The next arrival was “Sir Nigel Gresley,” heading south tender first, and the next northbound was “Leander.”

I later drove up to Rawtenstall and caught up with “Leander,” as she was running around her train. I then positioned myself on the crossing and waited for “Britannia” to arrive across the river Irwell bridge. My final move was to drive to Rawtenstall railway station and wait for “Sir Nigel Gresley” to arrive and run round her train, to finish my weekend off. A really big well done to all the staff and organisers at the East Lancs Railway, for another stunning event, lovely to catch up with a few friends, both old and new.

Locomotives operating

BR Standard, Class 7, 70000 “Britannia” Built in Crewe Works for British Railways in 1951, this engine was the first British Railways standard locomotive to be built and the first of 55 locomotives of the Britannia class.

LNER, A4, 60007 “Sir Nigel Gresley” This engine came out of Doncaster Works of the London and North Eastern Railway in early 1936 and bears the distinction of being the 100th locomotive built to the designs of the LNER’s Chief Mechanical Engineer, Sir Nigel Gresley.

LMS, Jubilee Class, 45690 “Leander” Built the same year as 60007 at Crewe, Leander was named for a Navy Ship which was in turn named after a hero of ancient Greek mythology. It originally started life under the number 5690, but was renumbered 45690 when the railways were nationalised.

752 Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway 23, 0-6-0 St ex 11456. One of the oldest steam engines still in great working order, 752 is a stunning example of a 19th century shunting locomotive. This class of engine was once a very common sight on the original Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway.

xotGD

Established Member
Some lovely shots there on the ELR.

Thanks for sharing!

Are you on this side of the Pennines this coming weekend for the KWVR gala?

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester to Rainford. Friday 5th April 2024.

An early gym session, in for 06.00 and back home for 08.30, a drive down to my nearest Metrolink station and I was on the platforms of Manchester Victoria just after 09.30. I was hoping to get a location photograph of the Knowsley binliner at Rainford, so I caught a train to Wigan Wallgate, and then the Headbolt Lane train to Rainford.

Sadly, by the time I arrived at Rainford, the Binliner had been cancelled and the incoming binliner wasn’t due until after 14.00, these are the only freight the line sees these days. The signal box at Rainford still carries the original name of Rainford Junction, a reminder of the days when the line went to Ormskirk from there. It’s a good location for photography with clear views in both directions.

I returned on the next train to Salford Crescent, with a change for Oxford Road as I was in time for a passing freight from Trafford Park behind DB red liveried class 66032. I later took a train into Manchester Piccadilly in time to catch a WAG arriving behind TfW class 67022 in the black sided livery. I boarded this to Stockport, before returning to Manchester Piccadilly and catching a tram back to the car, it had been a productive trip out.

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Saturday 6th April 2024.

Another railway strike day saw me heading to my go to local railway, the good old East Lancs. I drove up to Heywood and parked the car in the station car park, I decided to use up one of my free passes on a day rover ticket.

The first train to arriving into Heywood was blue liveried class 45108 and I caught her as far as Bury Bolton Street. It was then my obligatory look around the bookstalls, Rogers, the Emporium and the Standard 4 coach, despite being more selective in buying railway books these days, I still managed to spend £32, still its only money so they say.

After my escape from the bookstalls, I waited for Bulleid Pacific 34092 “City of Wells”, heading up to Rawtenstall, I made the full trip and returned down the line as far as Ramsbottom as I wanted a picture of the diner passing through, which had ex LMS 3F Jinty number 47298 at the helm.

My next move was to catch the Peak again heading for Rawtenstall and I returned on her back to Bury. A coffee in the platform café, the Buffet,” and then I caught my last train of the day, “City of Wells” back down to Heywood, not bad for a rail strike day, thank you the East Lancs Railway.

shredder1

Established Member
Stockport and Manchester Piccadilly. Monday 8th April 2024.

An early session at the gym and a free afternoon, saw me heading for Manchester Piccadilly to see what was around, it was a dry day and sunny at times. On arrival onto the platforms at Piccadilly I was treated to the sight of a recently transferred West Midland liveried class 323 220 on a Stoke working, so I caught this to Stockport and spent a few hours on the platforms.

I arrived at Stockport just in time to miss a photograph of a class 68, what looked like all blue livery taking a rake of coaches into Longsight. Just afterwards however, a pair of Freightliner class 66s went southbound in a convoy, 66559 and 66594. The WAG came in with TfW Black liveried 67022 pushing DVT 200, and the Binliner Runcorn Folly Lane - Brindle Heath. 6Z34 behind Freightliner 66563, so it was quite a productive afternoon.

Last edited:

shredder1

Established Member
East Lancs Railway. Pendennis Castle. Wednesday 10th April 2024.

It was the first day out for 4079 “Pendennis Castle” on the East Lancs Railway, a well-travelled loco which spent part of her life in Western Australia. I drove over to Heywood station and parked up for the day, as I was riding. I boarded the Castle at Heywood on the 09.50, and travelled to the top of the line at Rawtenstall. After photographing the Castle running around the train, I just had time to grab a coffee from the Rawtenstall Café in the coach on the platform, before setting off back down the line.

I alighted at Bury Bolton Street and both bookshops were open, another £17 in the East Lancs coffers. I waited for the Castle returning from its second trip down to Heywood and boarded her again, with my second bash of the day to Rawtenstall. I returned directly to Heywood on this train as it was the last service to that destination and I needed to get back to the car. Sadly` there was no buffet car on the service, which was quite busy with a few visiting coach trips, so the train was quite full, a missed opportunity I feel there. The Castle will make up part of the Western Region weekend event, certainly not one to be missed.