• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shrewsbury carriage sidings

Diedinium

Due to working closely with the contractor appointed to deliver the sidings upgrades, I can confirm the following is currently planned to take place on Shrewsbury Sidings, some of which is still subject to the final design acceptance which I hope we will get very soon.

1. Temporary fueling facility, a 22500 liter static tank capable of fueling the two adjacent roads (Shropshire 5 and Old Wash Road). This is the system that was installed at Ipswich mentioned above and should be coming to the sidings in May (ish) The facility is only for units desperately in need of fueling and can't continue their day without risk of running too low or out. The site already has a compliant interceptor system which the fuel catch pits will be routed through.
2. Resurrect Shropshire's 4 & 5 roads both having a 160 meter usable length.
3. Install a new CET system to include 4 x CET points, 3 between Shropshire's 4 & 5 and 1 for the Old Wash Road.
4. New staff accommodation due to the increase in people resource on the site once the projects completed.
5. Toilet block relocated to help achieve maximum use of available space.
6. Walking route installation/extensions and associated lighting to improve safety for all users of the sidings.
Thank you for providing a similar (but much more detailed) outline to what me and others were saying in the thread earlier, some here have been claiming the CET and Temporary/Emergency fueling isn't part of the project at all when they clearly aren't up to date or don't really know.

Also, at Shrewsbury depot we all call it the Wash Road still, not really heard anyone refer to it as anything ballast related.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

victormildrew

Thank you for providing a similar (but much more detailed) outline to what me and others were saying in the thread earlier, some here have been claiming the CET and Temporary/Emergency fueling isn't part of the project at all when they clearly aren't up to date or don't really know.

Also, at Shrewsbury depot we all call it the Wash Road still, not really heard anyone refer to it as anything ballast related.

How times and names change. it was called The Ballast, and yes a wash plant was installed in the 1980's but i think it is no longer there taken out a few years ago. The reason i named all the roads in Abbey foregate as i knew them because that is what they were, I was a shunter at Shrewsbury for about 15 years and a total of 30 years service. So as you say you only know it as the wash road.

Last edited: