• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter Driver Job Role Specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Wilson

Hi guys,

going through my Drivers manager interview next week for a shunter position.

I've researched the role and company but could someone give me some specifics of what the job entails? I understand it involves the basics like pulling points, seeing units on and off depot etc but could someone give me some of the day to day job specifics?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vacuumfriends

Southeastern Grove park

They also split and attach to get units ready for the next day.

Lots of sitting around getting bored, drinking tea and watching tv.

If there’s a unit defect, they have to be there to see the unit in, and potentially remarshall (box in) the unit with the fault, if It can be done, to get it back in service.

Grove park has up, down and shed sidings and some shunters move (at 5mph) unit’s between each siding. Very nice job for the money.

Tom Wilson

They also split and attach to get units ready for the next day.

Lots of sitting around getting bored, drinking tea and watching tv.

If there’s a unit defect, they have to be there to see the unit in, and potentially remarshall (box in) the unit with the fault, if It can be done, to get it back in service.

Grove park has up, down and shed sidings and some shunters move (at 5mph) unit’s between each siding. Very nice job for the money.
Great reply thanks a lot. I have my interview tomorrow so was just after an idea of what was involved.

I'm presuming there is a decent amount of night shifts involved?

And a lot of the work is on your feet and communicating rather than moving a train?

Vacuumfriends

Great reply thanks a lot. I have my interview tomorrow so was just after an idea of what was involved.

I'm presuming there is a decent amount of night shifts involved?

And a lot of the work is on your feet and communicating rather than moving a train?

Yes mate, lots of nights. Lots on your feet and pulling points but also lots of driving trains.

There are teams of shunters, and they work in their teams round the clock on their varying shifts to co-ordinate every movement of every train that enters and exits the yard. Then they have their specifics such as what I mentioned above (splitting, attaching etc).

Verbal communication is key in the job, and they communicate one to one with drivers (to call trains out/let them in the yard) and with the yard co-ordinators (which are the head of the team) as he has overall responsibility of all sidings and the main communication with the signaller (although you will also speak regularly to the signallers) to give the trains slots (space in the yard).

Sometimes the shunters are run off their feet, which can be during time of disruption, or there are too many trains coming back to the yard at the same time, and sometimes when you’ve seen out or brought in your last train and the next one isn’t due in for a few hours, there’s not much to do, so they set an alarm and have a kip or watch tv/read a book.

You've got to like your own company, and be able to work as part of a collective team. You’ll be working shifts, and as I said before communication is key to the job, as it’s what’s classed as safety critical. Safety is paramount in everything you’ll be doing. If it’s not safe, it doesn’t matter how late anything is or how much it costs to the company, safety comes first. I cannot tell you how important that is.

Good luck!

Natman

Hi guys,

going through my Drivers manager interview next week for a shunter position.

I've researched the role and company but could someone give me some specifics of what the job entails? I understand it involves the basics like pulling points, seeing units on and off depot etc but could someone give me some of the day to day job specifics?

Cheers in advance.

Hi Tom,

How did you interview go, where was it, what questions did he ask you?

Natman

Hi Tom,

How did your interview go, where was it and what questions did he ask you.

Mohammed Afsar

Hi,
I had shunter interview yesterday, it was pretty straight forward to he honest, quite relaxed.

Let's see what the outcome is to be......

Tomo1062

Hi,
I had shunter interview yesterday, it was pretty straight forward to he honest, quite relaxed.

Let's see what the outcome is to be......
Hi, I also have an interview coming up for this position. Can you help at all with what to revise and what type of questions you were asked ?

Gooner18

Hi I recently had a DMI for position of depot driver, I looked up general stuff about the company, how long they have had the franchise and when there contract is until, who owns the franchised company for example Greater Anglia is owned by DS who are a Dutch company, DS also run Mersey rail, scot rail, surrey and some London bus routes.
With regard to the Depot I looked up what units they have there again in my case it was 317,321,360 and 371 EMU,s I also looked up what routes these trains run on, job role its pretty much what it says on the tin and what has already been pit on this thread

Tomo1062

Hi I recently had a DMI for position of depot driver, I looked up general stuff about the company, how long they have had the franchise and when there contract is until, who owns the franchised company for example Greater Anglia is owned by DS who are a Dutch company, DS also run Mersey rail, scot rail, surrey and some London bus routes.
With regard to the Depot I looked up what units they have there again in my case it was 317,321,360 and 371 EMU,s I also looked up what routes these trains run on, job role its pretty much what it says on the tin and what has already been pit on this thread
Many thanks for all the info. Did this cover most of the questions you were asked ?
I hope you get through it ok

Gooner18

Many thanks for all the info. Did this cover most of the questions you were asked ?
I hope you get through it ok

that's just the research side of it, you will also be asked competency question (like you MMI interview ) but I found it a lot more relaxing than the MMI one, it did indeed go well got a phone call a few hours later with a job offer

Tomo1062

that's just the research side of it, you will also be asked competency question (like you MMI interview ) but I found it a lot more relaxing than the MMI one, it did indeed go well got a phone call a few hours later with a job offer
Well done mate. Hope it all goes really well !
Time for me to start revising

Gooner18

Yeah but I will take that. Gives me a bit of time to swat up. Wouldn’t mind picking your brain on what questions you were asked nearer the time if ok ?

Of course , not a problem. The questions are more or less the same as your MMI interview.

Acey

In the latter part of my career I was a Shunter Driver based at Grove Park,what Vacuumfriends posted above is entirely accurate ,it's a great job ,good luck to anyone going for it !

Tomo1062

In the latter part of my career I was a Shunter Driver based at Grove Park,what Vacuumfriends posted above is entirely accurate ,it's a great job ,good luck to anyone going for it !
Thanks very much. That’s good to know. I have an interview in December for this role. I come from an entirely different background so I’ve been trying to find out what I can about the role.
Sounds like it’s a good opportunity!

Acey

I came off the main line due to ill-health and spent my final years at GPK as a shunter driver and thoroughly enjoyed it after all the hassle of main line train driving ! If there are any questions not covered by Vacuums excellent post don't hesitate to ask !

Tomo1062

I came off the main line due to ill-health and spent my final years at GPK as a shunter driver and thoroughly enjoyed it after all the hassle of main line train driving ! If there are any questions not covered by Vacuums excellent post don't hesitate to ask !
Thanks very much for that.
Would you mind if I send you a PM ? I wouldn’t mind picking your brains on a couple of queries ?

Acey

Hi I am having difficulty answering your pm,would it be appropriate to reply on this forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.