• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunter going mainline but would another TOC be interested as you can’t do the apprenticeship again?

JWS

Food for thought? If a shunter driver completes the apprenticeship which is the same as mainline driver but then applies to another TOC for a trainee mainline driver position later down the line, are they less desirable as that TOC can’t claim funding for the apprenticeship as they have already completed it?

What’s peoples opinions?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
It used to be the case that you could move to another TOC/FOC without doing psychometrics etc agan but you'd need to do the street to seat course. I was offered this myself but ended up not starting with them.

I think you'd have more luck with companies than don't do the apprenticeship.

And as another note, don't fall for the carrot some companies dangle in front of you saying "start as a shunter and you'll be mainline before long" - it's not guaranteed and they tend to keep you a shunter as long as possible.

Keep your options as open as possible, loyalty means nothing to these people.

JWS

It used to be the case that you could move to another TOC/FOC without doing psychometrics etc agan but you'd need to do the street to seat course. I was offered this myself but ended up not starting with them.

I think you'd have more luck with companies than don't do the apprenticeship.

And as another note, don't fall for the carrot some companies dangle in front of you saying "start as a shunter and you'll be mainline before long" - it's not guaranteed and they tend to keep you a shunter as long as possible.

Keep your options as open as possible, loyalty means nothing to these people.
Appreciate your response. Certainly something to think about.

Bigfoot

Most TOCs have always had progression from depot/shunt driver to mainline. The apprenticeship element is just some money from the government.

Established Member
Most TOCs have always had progression from depot/shunt driver to mainline. The apprenticeship element is just some money from the government.
GA and c2c no longer have this. I don't know any TOC/FOC that still has line of progression.
At c2c shunters can apply internally but need to take an extra additional test compared to the street to seat drivers.
GA make you resign from your shunter position and start a new contract/position as a trainee mainline driver.

Samzino

Established Member
GA and c2c no longer have this. I don't know any TOC/FOC that still has line of progression.
At c2c shunters can apply internally but need to take an extra additional test compared to the street to seat drivers.
GA make you resign from your shunter position and start a new contract/position as a trainee mainline driver.
Apparently with GA however you can still as a depot driver apply for their mainline without resitting Assessments if the 3 years have elapsed. I know as someone asked this recently and recruitment mentioned as so?

The resign bit seemed to have been witheld however o_O

Established Member
Apparently with GA however you can still as a depot driver apply for their mainline without resitting Assessments if the 3 years have elapsed. I know as someone asked this recently and recruitment mentioned as so?

Correct, you don't need to do the assessments again as you already have an EU licence.

Bigfoot

Career progression and just applying for a new role is two different things. Guaranteed progression has long gone from all tocs

anglian96

I
GA make you resign from your shunter position and start a new contract/position as a trainee mainline driver

If c2c no longer have this then why do they never recruit qualified drivers :( been waiting forever haha

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I

If c2c no longer have this then why do they never recruit qualified drivers :( been waiting forever haha
They're a relatively small operation which probably doesn't help. And they are, more than most TOCs, very peak-heavy, even now. That's why they have a lot of PT drivers who just work a few hours over the peaks M-F

Established Member
They did once and weren't happy that the training took longer than planned and some of the staff weren't trained their own way and had "different/better" ways of doing things.

Last I heard they weren't planning to take on any more qualified drivers as a result of this, however that may change/have changed.

JWS

I have my hat in with GA but wasn’t sure they would be interested if they can’t claim the apprenticeship funds from the government as I’m already a shunter and done the apprenticeship

Sly Sloth

Southern seem to be offering courses solely for shunter to mainline progression. They do the apprenticeship though