• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shunters @ ScotRail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apestyler

Can anyone advise if First ScotRail have ever externally advertised for Shunters around the Glasgow area, or do mainline drivers do this as part of their job?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
A shunter doesn't do any driving, a shunt driver does it. A shunter guides trains throughout the depot and fuels them amongst other duties. I've only ever seen shunt driving jobs advertised internally but these are now virtually non existent due the amount of ex mainline drivers who now do this, for reasons such as SPAD's, overshoots and the like. It's very much like a disciplinary tool, though a lot of them seem to enjoy it. Anyway, it's best to keep your eyes peeled if it's something you fancy. There will be jobs of all sorts listed around april or may on the website I think. I'd advise you to join in any capacity, then you can apply for internal jobs, a lot of which don't get put out externally.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What I posted above applies to corkerhill depot. I know the shunters at shields depot are different as they move the units also. Not sure about haymarket, eastfield or other depots.

Last edited:

apestyler

Thanks for the information - I'm just keen to get my foot in the door & progress to driving grade.

BTW is anything special happening in April/May then? I remember the last batch of external trainee drivers were advertised for Helensburgh last May that's all.

CarterUSM

Established Member
That's the spirit, I don't care what is said elsewhere, if you're in the door and you do your job well, you're in for a good shout with most internal jobs. I think it's to do with the financial year and the fact that most jobs get advertised internally in the first instance. Though since the turn of the year, there has been very little internal wise, which i've never seen before. Keep me informed in any case, PM if necessary for any info.

6Z09

I have seen a job at Yoker advertised on their website in the past (Probably 18months ago)
Check First Group Careers site,a couple of station jobs on there at present that mention shunting as part of the duties.

energol

I'm a shunter at eastfield depot and we fuel and service the units and also drive them around the depot.The best way to get a shunting job unfortunately is to apply internally as about the last 6 new shunters have come from the train presentation side.

Status
Not open for further replies.