Siemens to present world’s first autonomous tram

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by MrHopefull, 4 Sep 2018.

1. MrHopefull

MrHopefull Member

don't know about other people but I get enjoyed when they do this as they always moan about unemployment but they are trying to get rid of driving jobs

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Member

I want to be open-minded (honest) but something doesn't feel right about the presumed end-game of developing autonomous trams.

It's just a gut feeling but the same type of gut feeling that an experienced driver would have over an algorithm.

For example would an autonomous tram 'see' a rolling football from a distance and be wary of said ball being chased across the tracks when it closer?

Plus I don't want my dream job under threat!

4. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

The technology is 100% there to risk assess and respond appropriately to potential incursions from the side of the track, yes! In fact, once the technology is perfected, studies in autonomous vehicles show that computerised 'drivers' are actually better at this than humans.

5. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Member

Can't say fairer than that :)

6. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

Check out the Yara Birkeland 3,200 tonne container ship designed to not only navigate between and dock autonomously at wharfs but to load and unload itself. Also work being done to expand full size shipping vessels autopilots from navigating a preset course to creating and revising the course in the first place.