• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal failure at Waterloo leads to unusal stopping pattern [12/4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Something most unusual just happened. The 7.54 Guildford non stop to Waterloo stopped additionally at Surbiton, Wimbledon and Clapham Junction.

I wonder if it switched to the slow lines to do that?

I actually would have preferred to get out at Clapham Junction as I'm going to Twickenham today but as I was due to catch the 8.03, as that was more likely to have seats, I was unaware of what would happen and I wasn't even ready.

I'd also have quite liked the idea of being on a train with an unusual stopping pattern for the time of day it's running.

What will now happen is that I'll probably miss my Twickenham service and arrive late. Such is life.

The 7.36 and it seems possibly 7.58, from Guildford to Waterloo were cancelled so had this not stopped at Clapham Junction, the gap for passengers would have been 1 hour and 25 minutes, not that that would be a reason to stop at Clapham. Thus would have been done for Surbiton and Wimbledon passengers, although even then I'm surprised they did it.

4f67ab33b93335f9d2e35a4a078fca0c.jpg

http://m.journeycheck.com/southwest...=&savedRoute=false&incidentsType=LINE_PROBLEM

Cancellations to services between London Waterloo and Surbiton

Following a signalling problem between London Waterloo and Surbiton some Main Suburban lines are now open.

Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 mins or revised. Disruption is expected until 11:00 12/04.

Customer Advice:
A signalling problem at London Waterloo meant that trains were unable to run from platforms 1 - 4. The fault is now fixed but the platforms were closed for over 1 hour. The disruption this has caused will affect customers travelling to and from our suburban destinations, including Wimbledon and Surbiton.

Short notice cancellations and alterations are expected. All alterations will be available to view at www.journeycheck.southwesttrains.co.uk
Services between Shepperton and London Waterloo will be diverted to run via Twickenham calling additionally at Strawberry Hill and then non-stop to Clapham Junction.
Valid rail tickets will be accepted on London Buses on reasonable routes between Waterloo and Surbiton and on London Underground services.
If you hold a South West Trains ticket you can use Southern Rail services between London Victoria, Clapham Junction and Epsom & Dorking. You should expect a journey time of between 30 and 50 minutes for this route.
The following routes have been altered, but begin to return from approximately 09:00
- London Waterloo to Hampton Court - first train from London will be 09:06, from Hampton Court at 09:53
- London Waterloo to Shepperton The first train from London via Kingston will be 08:12, the first train from Shepperton via Kingston will be the 08:10.
- London Waterloo to Salisbury. The first train from Waterloo will be the 11:50 to Salisbury, the first stopping train from Salisbury will be the 08:47.
The following routes will be subject to delays and possible short notice alteration:
- London Waterloo to Dorking
- London Waterloo to Guildford via Epsom/Cobham
- London Waterloo to Woking (stopping services)
- London Waterloo to Chessington South
- London Waterloo to London Waterloo via Kingston
We are sorry for the disruption to your journey this morning.

Additional Information:
For more information about track circuit failures and signalling problems and what we're doing to reduce them, please see Delays Explained here: http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables-and-travel/delays-explained/track-circuits/
-
If you would like to make a comment or give us some feedback about your experience with us today, please email us at [email protected], 0345 6000 650 (option 4) or fill in the contact us webform http://po.st/ContactSWT
-
Have you been delayed by over an hour ? Please see here for information about compensation - http://po.st/SWTCompensation

Message Received :12/04/2016 08:38

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not impressed. Got into Waterloo about 8.57. Had tried to look on Real Train Times to see what might be happening but not enough O2 reception as I headed into Waterloo and being a busy SWT service no on board WiFi working. So I decided to check the station departure boards.

Went to subway but the first train showing for Twickham was 9.03. I then made a he fatal error of checking the National Rail Enquiries App once on the platform for the 9.03. It showed an 8.58 to Windsor was 3 minutes late but no platform due to Darwin upgrade.

As I knew some other trains had been cancelled I thought I'd ask to be safe. I wanted to catch it, as it's faster.

In the mean time the 8.58 switched to showing as delayed.

So I asked a member of staff who said catch the 9.03 by this point the 9.03 was departing.

Then I checked Real Time Trains and found the 8.58 left 6 minutes late and I could have caught it, if only I'd checked that web site. I even saw the train on the platform earlier but I couldn't be certain it wasn't an empty coaching stock service. I did not wish to end up in a siding.

It seems not good that they remove trains from the board when they are delayed.

I had to catch the 9.20 and I will be half an hour late to my destination.

Does anyone know when Darwin is live with South West Trains. Last I heard was early April but they have removed that message from SWT Journey Check and not replaced it with anything else. Originally it was due last October. I'd love to know what problems they are facing. Must be lots of unforseen technical issues with the systems used.

Anyway end of rant. I'll get over it. Far worse things could happen than this.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The National Rail app has started showing platforms again for SWT services so I thought it had all been fixed.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's not unusual to insert stops (or remove them!) in times of disruption.
But it is veey unusual on the fast line between Woking and Waterloo during morning high peak and the reverse in the evening return peak, especially on a train leaving Guildford at 7.54.

I've seen reports of queues at Surbiton due to disruption and lack of trains in the morning before now. I know every disruption is different of course.

This evening my course finished early enough for me to be able to avoid Waterloo. Now on a packed Exeter train to Woking. Some spare seats but would be none if everyone sat down before me.

The National Rail app has started showing platforms again for SWT services so I thought it had all been fixed.
It did for 1-3 days and then they vanished again. Not sure why. Nothing was said on Journey Check other than it still wasn't working. Bur since then that message has gone.

abn444

If it's not scheduled to stop at Woking, then wouldn't it be one of the ones set to use the New Guildford line instead of the main line through Woking? If that's the case then couldn't it have stayed on the slow line once it joined the SWML near Surbiton?

talldave

Established Member
Then I checked Real Time Trains and found the 8.58 left 6 minutes late and I could have caught it, if only I'd checked that web site. I even saw the train on the platform earlier but I couldn't be certain it wasn't an empty coaching stock service. I did not wish to end up in a siding.

It seems not good that they remove trains from the board when they are delayed.

I don't see how RTT would have helped you know that the 08.58 was going to leave, compared to all the other trains?

I was there about 20 mins before you and the board was full of delayed trains. I just waited for the first one given a platform number and jumped on that.

Deepgreen

Established Member
RTT shows no stops between Guildford and Waterloo were made on the 0754 from Guildford (which runs via Cobham anyway), but it did arrive 21 late. Surbiton was passed 4 late and Wimbledon was passed 8 late.
Now on a packed Exeter train to Woking. Some spare seats but would be none if everyone sat down before me.

I don't understand - how is a train 'packed' if there are spare seats, and wouldn't it always be the case that there would be no spare seats if everyone sat down before you?

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 07:54 from Guildford goes via Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon.
But during disruption has been known to go via Woking to avoid being stuck behind delayed stopping services.

The other week I was coming back on the 18.15 and the driver informed the guard he would be taking the Woking route. There was no disruption notice on National Rail Enquiries that I could see.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I even saw the train on the platform earlier but I couldn't be certain it wasn't an empty coaching stock service. I did not wish to end up in a siding.

Unless some exceptional laxity was applied to door closing, you would not be allowed to board an ECS and "end up in a siding".
But during disruption has been known to go via Woking to avoid being stuck behind delayed stopping services.

The other week I was coming back on the 18.15 and the driver informed the guard he would be taking the Woking route. There was no disruption notice on National Rail Enquiries that I could see.

On the 12th April, the 0754 ran non-stop (at stations, anyway!) Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Probably nearer the front of the service as some commuters are too lazy to walk to the front of the train and jump on the first available door
Packed was probably wrong word to use. But it was busy enough that if everyone sat down, you'd be hard pushed to get a seat. I didn't walk to the front carriage though because I found a seat and made use of it.

When I got to Woking I actually heard an announcement that the 16.55 had more space towards the front and it was a 10 car train. I got a seat in coach 6 however. Heard no such announcement for the 16.27 though at Clapham Junction.

I don't see how RTT would have helped you know that the 08.58 was going to leave, compared to all the other trains?

I was there about 20 mins before you and the board was full of delayed trains. I just waited for the first one given a platform number and jumped on that.
It would have given me the platform number and I would have gone to that platform and boarded the train. Had it left, I'd have then gone to the platform for the 9.03. There would have been time to do this as one was on platform 14 and the other platform 17.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Packed was probably wrong word to use. But it was busy enough that if everyone sat down, you'd be hard pushed to get a seat. I didn't walk to the front carriage though because I found a seat and made use of it.

When I got to Woking I actually heard an announcement that the 16.55 had more space towards the front and it was a 10 car train. I got a seat in coach 6 however. Heard no such announcement for the 16.27 though at Clapham Junction.

'Packed' to me means no seats at all and uncomfortable standing conditions. I think it is a fairly well-known rule of thumb to commuters that trains leaving termini are less busy towards the front, so specific announcements should not be necessary.

infobleep

Veteran Member
RTT shows no stops between Guildford and Waterloo were made on the 0754 from Guildford (which runs via Cobham anyway), but it did arrive 21 late. Surbiton was passed 4 late and Wimbledon was passed 8 late.

The National Rail Enquiries App said it was stopping additionally at Surbiton, Wimbledon and Clapham Junction. I'm assuming that data didn't reach RTT. Unless of course the National Rail Enquiries App was wrong.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The National Rail Enquiries App said it was stopping additionally at Surbiton, Wimbledon and Clapham Junction. I'm assuming that data didn't reach RTT. Unless of course the National Rail Enquiries App was wrong.

My instinct would be that NRE was wrong (or simply forecast an intention that didn't materialise) if it is a choice between that and RTT. Am I right to assume that all your information about this train's running has been taken from NRE's site and that it was all 'pre-event'?

wastedlife

My instinct would be that NRE was wrong (or simply forecast an intention that didn't materialise) if it is a choice between that and RTT. Am I right to assume that all your information about this train's running has been taken from NRE's site and that it was all 'pre-event'?

In fairness, the timings on RTT indicate some significant slowness of that train around Surbiton, Wimbledon and Clapham Junction. The fast trains out of Surbiton were all running yesterday - I was on the 07:02 from Woking/07:27 from Surbiton that left Surbiton on time, and arrived 10 late into Waterloo. The stopping services were badly affected around that time, the 07:01, 07:31 and 08:01 all stations from Hampton Court were all cancelled and the 08:11 semi fast left at 08:43. I can well believe there were thronging crowds of people wanting intermediate stations who hadn't had a train since the 07:11.

infobleep

Veteran Member
In fairness, the timings on RTT indicate some significant slowness of that train around Surbiton, Wimbledon and Clapham Junction. The fast trains out of Surbiton were all running yesterday - I was on the 07:02 from Woking/07:27 from Surbiton that left Surbiton on time, and arrived 10 late into Waterloo. The stopping services were badly affected around that time, the 07:01, 07:31 and 08:01 all stations from Hampton Court were all cancelled and the 08:11 semi fast left at 08:43. I can well believe there were thronging crowds of people wanting intermediate stations who hadn't had a train since the 07:11.
Of course if you were at Berrylands, you wouldn't get a train but they usually recommend the K2 bus.

Deepgreen

Established Member

Agreed, which is why I pointed out that the 0754 ex-Guildford ran without calling at stations en route, but was 21 late arriving at Waterloo.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The 0754 from Guildford and the 1815 return are both 10 car 444s worked by Fratton depot and both are booked via Cobham, the 1815 however often runs via Woking as it relies on being on time almost exactly otherwise it compromises the timekeeping of the 1802 Waterloo-Guildford via Cobham (stopper). The 0754 won't go via Woking as it would get held up by the 0802 Woking bay service crossing the fast line. Interesting for the guard that it should stop at Wimbledon though as we have no booked work at that station, I've only stopped there twice in five years, both with 12 cars and both due to major disruption. hopefully the guard wasn't in the back cab otherwise they'd not be in the platform!

RichardN

The 0807 stopper via Cobham also had extra stops after Surbiton which aren't showing on RTT for the 12/04. Normally fast to Waterloo. I thought it was unusual as it was 10 coaches long, but would be stopping at Clapham Junction. Don't know if it stayed on the slows, as I get off at Surbiton - does RTT update with the platform that it actually used?

hounddog

Unless some exceptional laxity was applied to door closing, you would not be allowed to board an ECS and "end up in a siding".

I'm sure there was a thread on here not so long ago that recounted numerous examples of such not-so-exceptional laxity over the years.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 0754 from Guildford and the 1815 return are both 10 car 444s worked by Fratton depot and both are booked via Cobham, the 1815 however often runs via Woking as it relies on being on time almost exactly otherwise it compromises the timekeeping of the 1802 Waterloo-Guildford via Cobham (stopper). The 0754 won't go via Woking as it would get held up by the 0802 Woking bay service crossing the fast line. Interesting for the guard that it should stop at Wimbledon though as we have no booked work at that station, I've only stopped there twice in five years, both with 12 cars and both due to major disruption. hopefully the guard wasn't in the back cab otherwise they'd not be in the platform!
Reading your comment Matt makes me wish I'd been on the 7.54 even more. I enjoy being on trains that make very rare stops, even if many other trains might usually stop at such a station.

I did once alight at Clapham Junction during the days of slam doors when. It wasn't advertised to do so but that's the only time. In my years of 3 years of travelling to Harrow, I never stopped at Clapham Junction, unless the train was before or after high peak rush hour.

Actually not entirely true. I did during the snow fall timetable but all trains stopped St Clapham Junction I think. In fact that timetable got me home more quickly than I normally did under the usual timetable. If only it snowed more often. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.