• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal

Hi

I am just wondering if signalling is a safe job to have? I have read about lots of boxes closing.

Is anybody aware of the frequency that new trainee posts get advertised at? They are recruiting for a full time position in London at £38k, but I guess this would be the sort of position NW would want an experienced signaller to slot into.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
Signalling is still a safe job.
A lot of box closure jobs are being put back, but most of them will happen eventually.

Internally, not many signallers want to move into the ROCs (where all the boxes are moving too!), and vacancies are always coming up at mine and internals are rarely interested.

If a job appears on the NR site, then it has already gone the internal lost and didn't get any interest so now it's external. Apply for it!

signal

Thanks for the reply. I might just do that, but I live about 40mins north of London on the train. Do you think this role is likely to be in the Kings Cross box? I have read comments that it isnt a place many existing signallers want to take. Though it would suit for me as thats where my train would go into.

signal

Ouch, just seen that the commute (assuming its Kings Cross) would cost me about £500pcm!

Do Network Rail workers get a discount?

Greenyeti

Have a read on the NR site, there's quite a bit there including concessions (iirc its 75% discount up to about £2250).

carriageline

Established Member
Best way to find out what box is to apply, as it will give more details then. If it's too far, you can withdraw.

Yes, we can 75% discount on season tickets, up to a value of £2250. You can also get an interest free loan on the remainder repayable via your wages over 10 months.

TomBoyd

As everyone has said, signalling is very much alive, especially thanks to the recent actions of the government.

If you're willing to move, it is very much still a career that will last decades.

Travel, as has been mentioned, is subsidized. Bear in mind that the 75% reduction is a taxable benefit, so on anything over Grade 7, it'll be taxed at 40% (if you do any overtime) so it's more like a 50-60% reduction.

Also bear in mind that some shifts may demand other modes of transport. I'm not familiar with the KC shift pattern, but at our box, if you finish/start on a sunday morning, you can't really get the train.

Any more Qs, feel free to ask here, or PM me.

NX

The "London"job is at Feltham ASC near Heathrow.

It is very close to be transferred into Basingstoke ROC as the equipment is beyond life expired.

I'm Waiting an interview for the role (external).

NX

signal

Ok, thanks for all the info.

I will give this one a miss and wait for something a bit closer. I shall give NW a call and ask about any potential posts further north.

Unless anybody happens to know the locations of the signal boxes within 50 miles from Peterborough?

carriageline

Established Member
I've heard otherwise. It's due to go in the next few years, but it's 'unofficially' been put back beyond 2020.

NX

Ok, thanks for all the info.

I will give this one a miss and wait for something a bit closer. I shall give NW a call and ask about any potential posts further north.

Unless anybody happens to know the locations of the sign
al boxes within 50 miles from Peterborough?

There are dozens of boxes within 50 miles of Peterborough, however they are in the main Lowe grade, short life span boxes I'm afraid.

But you've got Rugby ROC, Derby ROC, Romford ROC, Saltey ROC all in driveable distance.

Romford is on there now......

NX

Yabbadabba

Internal just wanted to know so more information like shift start times is overtime regular and any thing else anyone can help out with

Most if not all of this you will find out with your box induction. As for overtime, some of it will be compulsory as in rostered Sunday's, any overtime will be down to how many vacancies and sickens there is to cover on the base roster.

Where I work the LOMs do their induction then pass the new intake over to the SSMs for the day, who in turn introduce the new staff to the LDC staff reps who pass on a personal (to be signed for) copy of all the local agreements in a booklet, which include a copy of the learners roster and main roster along with shift start times, sickness, overtime, and meal break arrangements amongst many other things.

Last edited:

TomBoyd

All bets are off and not many people know much of anything at the moment. Someone more local might have a better idea. What is their local ROC?

carriageline

Established Member
Personally, it depends what stage the resignalling is currently at, how bad the current boxes are and who is funding it.

AlexWright

I wouldn't bother to visit until you're invited to interview.

I have the job already just wanted some more info. I can't wait to start really looking forward to it. At least I won't be breaking my back out on track anymore ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.