• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal positioning near Stratford-upon-Avon

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawr256

The diagram on Traksy around Stratford-upon-Avon (https://traksy.uk/live/M+31+SOAV+-10) has been confusing me. The position of the signal berths makes it look like if a path is set for a train out of platform 1 at Stratford, then approaching trains from the north can't even proceed into Wilmcote until it has left, which would seem excessively restrictive and contradict the timetable in some cases. Where is the last approach signal really positioned, and can a train towards Statford call at Wilmcote and/or Stratford Parkway while a route is set out of Stratford platform 1?

Attached: Screenshot from Traksy showing the area around Stratford-upon-Avon

Attachments

• Traksy SAV.PNG
    Traksy SAV.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
The diagram on Traksy around Stratford-upon-Avon (https://traksy.uk/live/M+31+SOAV+-10) has been confusing me. The position of the signal berths makes it look like if a path is set for a train out of platform 1 at Stratford, then approaching trains from the north can't even proceed into Wilmcote until it has left, which would seem excessively restrictive and contradict the timetable in some cases. Where is the last approach signal really positioned, and can a train towards Statford call at Wilmcote and/or Stratford Parkway while a route is set out of Stratford platform 1?

Attached: Screenshot from Traksy showing the area around Stratford-upon-Avon
I would suggest its correct until I can dig out the signalling plan. We plan Bearley Jn to Stratford as absolute block.

1E67

It is correct. If the signal between Bearley Jnc and Wilmcote is on due to following something, it won’t clear until it’s into Stratford, or until it’s departed platform 1. I’ve sat at that signal many a time with enough time to walk to the nearest pub, grab a 3 course meal, and it’s still not cleared.

jawr256

Thanks for confirming Planner and 1E67.

Part of the reason for my confusion was that there are examples on RTT that, if true, seem to contradict this - for example the two below which suggest 2W80 was leaving Stratford platform 1 at the same time as 2D28 was at Stratford Parkway on its way into Stratford. However, I'm mindful that it's possible the actual platforms used may not always be accurate, nor will the timings if they have to be interpolated over a long block section, so your confirmations are helpful.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G08804/2022-03-05/detailed
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C48891/2022-03-05/detailed

Class 170101

Established Member
The two trains you link to above is a departure from Platform 1 followed by an arrival into Platform 2. The map advises Platform 1 at the top and 2 in the middle (with 3 at the bottom) I would expect there to be a signal on the arriving line (top line) next to the grey blob on the bottom line protecting that junction into the platforms otherwise I don't think those two schedules actually work.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The diagram on Traksy around Stratford-upon-Avon (https://traksy.uk/live/M+31+SOAV+-10) has been confusing me. The position of the signal berths makes it look like if a path is set for a train out of platform 1 at Stratford, then approaching trains from the north can't even proceed into Wilmcote until it has left, which would seem excessively restrictive and contradict the timetable in some cases.
I've dug out the signalling diagram and...
Where is the last approach signal really positioned,
The map is not wholly accurate. there is only 1 signal before Wilmcote, the 2nd signal is placed c.200m before Stratford-Upon-Avon station throat.
and can a train towards Statford call at Wilmcote and/or Stratford Parkway while a route is set out of Stratford platform 1?
Yes.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yes, Traksy is wrong. WN431 is on the approach to the station. 2 aspect yellow/red.

jawr256

Thanks all for the further clarifications - that certainly sounds more sensible than what Traksy was implying!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Definitely a signal on approach to SAV, often held there for a train to depart from P1

RobertsN

I work next to the rail line (physically around 10 yards away). Inbounds to SAV (Stratford-upon-Avon) will be braking into the last signal before platforms as the outbound is chugging up the hill.

1E67

I see what you’re saying, didn’t look at Traksy properly!
There is indeed just the 2 signals, one just beyond Bearley Jnc before Wilmcote, but the other is not before Wilmcote as shown on your image, it’s at the junction just before Stratford, a good few miles from the last signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.