• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signal upgrade set to modernise Cornwall’s railway

There have been previous threads about this topic but they all seem to be closed down so I thought I would start a new one.

I saw this on the Network Rail Media website:-

Also this on the GWR website

According to the above articles it starts in earnest tomorrow which is 10/09/2022 with the main line closed between Plymouth and Penzance. The bulk of the work will be completed in October/November this year with the main line closed between St Austell and Penzance Tuesday 31/10/2023-05/11/2023 and Plymouth-Penzance 06/11/2023-12/11/2023 throughout.
Also I found this from the Rail Engineer dated 20/04/2022:-
From what I can gather it looks like everything west from current boundary of Exeter Power Box comes under the scheme with new work stations taking over, these are to be installed in the current Exeter PB.
As a matter of interest the Plymouth Power Box started operations on 26/11/1960 which now makes it 63 years old, so never mind how old the Semaphore Signals are that exist west of Saltash.
Of course it is sad to see these Semaphore Signals go, I feel they have been iconic for this part of the railway world, but sooner or later it was on the cards.
Also I see that Network Rail are installing new lifts at St Erth Station which are due for completion next spring, I have struggled myself with very heavy suitcases over the existing bridge to get onto the St Ives Branch so this is very welcome.
So anybody that can get down to or lives in Cornwall there is not much time left to get photos of one of the few remaining main lines in this country to be controlled by Semaphore Signals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rail Ranger

As I understand it only the boxes at Par, Lostwithiel and Truro are closing. The others are remaining in use.

Trainguy34

Does this mean traksy will "work" past Liskeard? Photos attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909_225805_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909_225805_com.android.chrome.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Screenshot_20230909_225751_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909_225751_com.android.chrome.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 205

MarkyT

Established Member
Can't be Exeter in the west. Do you mean one of the new power boxes?
No they're right. NR is squeezing a new VDU workstation into Exeter PSB somehow for this initial project alongside the current panel. I suspect more workstations may take over the existing panel area in due course, which should make space to take over more of Cornwall including Liskeard, and Plymouth.

Does this mean traksy will "work" past Liskeard? Photos attached
Berth stepping data for the area can't be in the live feed from NR, usually because fully functional train describer (TD) systems are not present in the small signalboxes concerned. The new workstation will have a proper TD inevitably, and being at Exeter should be easy to hook up to the feed, so I guess it will give better coverage in Cornwall although there might still be a gap around Liskeard.

Last edited:

Annetts key

Established Member
Can't be Exeter in the west. Do you mean one of the new power boxes?
Are you aware that when money is tight, the railways make strange decisions.

The building that Exeter (Panel) PSB is in has just enough space for a new workstation. As there currently is no money available, and hence no immediate plans to close Exeter and replace it, the decision has been taken to transfer control of some of the remaining mechanical signal boxes to a new workstation at Exeter regardless of where they are/what they currently control.

Similarly, the far older Plymouth (Panel) PSB and the remaining part of Bristol (Panel) PSB (it still controls Flax Bourton to Bridgwater) will live on for an unknown number of years.

All resignalling in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset on Western (the GWML and branches) may be delayed in order to reduce current capital expenditure. So be careful of any dates / timeframes in documents from last year or older.

MarkyT

Established Member
The building that Exeter (Panel) PSB is in has just enough space for a new workstation. As there currently is no money available, and hence no immediate plans to close Exeter and replace it, the decision has been taken to transfer control of some of the remaining mechanical signal boxes to a new workstation at Exeter regardless of where they are/what they currently control.
It makes sense. There's plenty of tech support and management at Exeter and a big signaller establishment already. I've heard the alternative of Didcot might require an extension to the current building as it's now getting full, and NR might also have faced transferring some ops people to a more expensive but possibly less attractive part of the country, perhaps a difficult prospect to sell to staff unless offered significant incentives in grades, so possibly an expensive exercise. If the Exeter PSB building, constructed in the mid-1980s, is in good enough condition to last for another 40 years or so (hopefully no RAAC!), it could plausibly become a new SW peninsula 'mini-ROC' in the longer term. There is masses of space in the equipment rooms below and the operating floor is quite generous in size compared to some of the earlier 1960s and 70s panels, hence how they found the space for the new workstation.

Bartsimho

It makes sense. There's plenty of tech support and management at Exeter and a big signaller establishment already. I've heard the alternative of Didcot might require an extension to the current building as it's now getting full, and NR might also have faced transferring some ops people to a more expensive but possibly less attractive part of the country, perhaps a difficult prospect to sell to staff unless offered significant incentives in grades, so possibly an expensive exercise. If the Exeter PSB building, constructed in the mid-1980s, is in good enough condition to last for another 40 years or so (hopefully no RAAC!), it could plausibly become a new SW peninsula 'mini-ROC' in the longer term. There is masses of space in the equipment rooms below and the operating floor is quite generous in size compared to some of the earlier 1960s and 70s panels, hence how they found the space for the new workstation.
Just looking at a map Exeter appears to be the best place for a South-West control.
Has a Motorway to the rest of the country, End of the fast running railway. Still a large enough city so people would be willing to move more readily. Nice part of the country as well with beaches close.

Annetts key

Established Member
Has a Motorway to the rest of the country
That becomes a car park in the summer if there is even a simple accident or incident on the M5.

But yes, putting all of your West Country eggs in a TVSC Didcot basket IMHO is a bad idea. Exeter is a reasonable choice.

cle

Established Member
What will the capacity and journey time / line speed improvements, if any - of this work? Or is it mainly reliability focused?

MarkyT

Established Member
What will the capacity and journey time / line speed improvements, if any - of this work? Or is it mainly reliability focused?
Don't know if there are any additional block sections going in but it will be easier to add those in the future if desired with a modern system in place. Not sure if there are any particular reliability issues, but the new kit should be more easily maintained, with spares readily available etc. Mechanical signalling, although often very reliable, suffers from some critical components becoming ever harder to obtain. There's also a dwindling skills base among employees and contractors.

sor

if Par and Truro are going, does / is this providing any improved signalling for the branches for the much vaunted "Mid Cornwall Metro" (tm) between Newquay and Falmouth, or would that need further work?

I'm still signed up to GWR journey alerts even though I am no longer a regular user down there. I found it amusing when I'd finally get an email about signalling faults. The mechanical stuff is old but I guess it isn't badly affected by cable thieves or lightning

MarkyT

Established Member
if Par and Truro are going, does / is this providing any improved signalling for the branches for the much vaunted "Mid Cornwall Metro" (tm) between Newquay and Falmouth, or would that need further work?
I don't think it's happening yet but the new system apparently enables easier future provision of an additional passing loop and second terminal platform on the Newquay line.
I'm still signed up to GWR journey alerts even though I am no longer a regular user down there. I found it amusing when I'd finally get an email about signalling faults. The mechanical stuff is old but I guess it isn't badly affected by cable thieves or lightning
There are often plenty of cables in mechanical areas as they've been modernised and renewed with additional electrical controls and gizmos and signal conversions to colour lights, points to electrical machines etc. Pole routes for block circuits and telephones have mostly been replaced by cabling. They're more likely to be buried by the trackside rather than being in concrete troughing. Lightning can travel along signal wires and rodding runs but is probably less likely to cause permanent damage unless it reaches earth via the signaller pulling the levers!

louis97

Established Member
As part of this work the signalling between Par and Truro is being moved around a bit, but there isn't any extra sections. This isn't nessessary for the extra train per hour, the main requirements for the Newquay to Falmouth hourly service are on the Newquay branch itself which are not part of this project.

1Q18

Out of interest, does anyone know how the Fowey branch is being controlled following the closure of Lostwithiel box? AIUI it was previously operated by one-train staff kept in the signal box, which presumably has changed since Exeter would be a long drive for the Fowey shunter to go and collect it!

Railsigns

Established Member
Out of interest, does anyone know how the Fowey branch is being controlled following the closure of Lostwithiel box? AIUI it was previously operated by one-train staff kept in the signal box, which presumably has changed since Exeter would be a long drive for the Fowey shunter to go and collect it!
It will still be worked by one train working, but the train staff will be electrically released from an instrument at the start of the branch.

Meerkat

Established Member
How are they fitting in ABCLs on the Looe branch? AIUI they are half barrier so need more road width than the crossings look to have on Streetview.

Amlag

After the first rounds of works(31 Oct to 12 Nov), any noticeable changes?

This rather unbelievably ( or not these days) lengthy blockade of part of the Cornwall Main and several branches
with resultant bustitution, delay and disruption to rail passengers seems to have achieved installation of some lineside equipment and a new signal at Lostwithiel; but not the planned renewal of a Crossover at Truro West, allegedly due materials not arriving (no doubt by road) in time.

collexions

No they're right. NR is squeezing a new VDU workstation into Exeter PSB somehow for this initial project alongside the current panel. I suspect more workstations may take over the existing panel area in due course, which should make space to take over more of Cornwall including Liskeard, and Plymouth.
Not exactly squeezing in... The new Mid Cornwall workstation, + the next stage's West Cornwall workstation will be situated behind the curvature of one end of the current panels, with provision for a further two at the other end. This scheme is also replacing the Totnes - Tavistock Jnc. (excl) section of Plymouth Panel onto a single screen workstation (Hemerdon) onto the Exeter end of the Plymouth PSB panel.

Gloster

Established Member
The closures are reported to have been put back to end February for Truro, and early March for Lostwithiel and Par. But we shall see.

3RDGEN

GWR are reporting the blocks as Tuesday 27 February to Sunday 10 March 2024; "https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/planned-engineering/cornwall"

In Cornwall Network Rail is carrying out a multi-million pound programme to improve the signalling. This work will see the replacement of older-style signals and signalling equipment with brand-new, modern technology. In order for this work to be done, the Cornish Main Line will be temporarily closed in phases between Tuesday 27 February and Sunday 10 March 2024 with buses replacing trains on affected routes.

This closure will affect trains in Cornwall over three phases:

• Tuesday 27 February to Sunday 3 March – Line closed between St Austell and St Erth (including the branch line to Falmouth Docks)
  • Monday 4 to Friday 8 March – Line closed between Liskeard and St Erth (including branch lines to Newquay and Falmouth Docks)
  • Weekend of 9 and 10 March – Line closed between Plymouth and St Erth (including branch lines to Looe, Newquay and Falmouth Docks)

Bringback309s

So - how's it been this morning? Everything going through Lostwithiel on the down by the looks of it

Train Maniac

So - how's it been this morning? Everything going through Lostwithiel on the down by the looks of it
An utter mess...
NR Possession handed back late, causing the sleeper to be delayed, causing a knock on effect for the rest of the day. There is supposedly issues in the Cardiff area as well, so its not entirely fair to blame it all on the resignalling project i suppose.

To be honest, i was expecting dramatic changes, but it seems more of a 'like for like' replacement

Amlag

The new workstation that now controls part of the Cornwall main line and branches to Fowey,Parkandillack and Falmouth and fringing with existing Signal Boxes at Liskeard, St Blazey and Roskear, whilst located in the Exeter Panel Signal Box building is actually located in a seperate room ( the one time TOPS office) in this building.