• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaling issues around Diggle and Standedge tunnel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajdunlop

Yesterday and today there has been issues with the signals around the Diggle and Standedge tunnel area effecting the north transpenne route.
I had on a train yesterday that was delayed and we were told that a number of signals were not lit up at all and so the driver was having to call the signaller at each one.
Does anyone know what the issue is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yesterday and today there has been issues with the signals around the Diggle and Standedge tunnel area effecting the north transpenne route.
I had on a train yesterday that was delayed and we were told that a number of signals were not lit up at all and so the driver was having to call the signaller at each one.
Does anyone know what the issue is?
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx
Signalling problems between Stalybridge and Huddersfield means that trains have to run at a reduced speed on some lines.
Therefore, trains travelling between these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 20 minutes or revised.
Disruption is expected to continue until the end of the day

John Webb

Established Member
Signals being out suggests a power supply failure. Trains then have to be talked past each faulty signal by the signaller, which means they are moving slowly and stopping frequently. Bound to cause delays!

ajdunlop

The problem appears to only be Eastbound. It is just surprising it is taking so long to fix.
Could this be related to recent work to move signaling from Huddersfield to York ROC or is it on the wrong side of the Pennines for that?

Raul_Duke

I wonder how long it would have to go on for before they introduced TBW.

Raul_Duke

Why would they need to introduce temporary block working?

Unless I’ve misunderstood the post, there was a failure of two or more consecutive signals and drivers were being talked past each one in turn for quite a few hours?

BRblue

Unless I’ve misunderstood the post, there was a failure of two or more consecutive signals and drivers were being talked past each one in turn for quite a few hours?
Track circuit failure according to RTT which is somewhat confusing, and nothing states they were consecutive signals which would pretty much rule out TBW if they weren't. Losing an hour over that section does pose some interesting questions though. Unless anyone knows what the actual fault was it is pretty difficult to surmise what the correct course of action would of been.

55z

There was signalling issues probably around Diggle Jn or Diggle Jn to YORK ROC , trains were cancelled mainly Northern & Pic To Hull to cut delays down even so I was over 30 minutes late due to my train being cancelled. On Tuesday 13th March due to serious signaling issues at Huddersfield my 30 minute journey from Manchester was 90 minutes. Going to be fun from May as to which trains TPEXP cancel when few Northern trains operate if similar problems occur.

jamesst

I don't whether it's just in my part of the world but I often find a reluctance to introduce temporary block working at all.ive been talked past 4 signals in a row before!

ajdunlop

I am on a train stuck on the Marsden side of Standedge Tunnel. According to the conductor there is another problem with the signaling. The Signaler is being shown a train still in the tunnel but there isn’t one as the signaller on the other side has confirmed the previous train is long gone. We are proceeding at caution.
What is going so wrong with the signaling around here? It’s been a couple of weeks of intermittent problems.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I don't whether it's just in my part of the world but I often find a reluctance to introduce temporary block working at all.ive been talked past 4 signals in a row before!
Not just in your part of the world, temporary block working (and indeed emergency special working in my neck of the woods) is largely reluctantly implemented, largely because them upstairs, in their infinite wisdom, decided to stop paying for hand signaller competencies to be kept up. Emergency special working, although less resource intensive, still needs at least 1 MOM, ideally 2 (for a simple double track railway)

Status
Not open for further replies.