• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Anecdotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GW43125

Established Member
(I've created this thread to avoid further derailing the "what's this on the diagram" thread.)

I'm interested to hear people's anecdotes related to signalling, be it a funny conversation in a box, a funny occurrence or a visit gone wrong.

I'll start with a story I was told by someone.

A dog got onto the line at Edgware Road station and started walking towards Baker St. Whilst all trains were stopped, the Edgware Road signaller decided the best way to tell the Baker St signaller was to call Baker Street signal cabin and say "there's a Barking on its way to you but you won't see it on your track circuits!"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
OK here's a couple from the Tilbury line for starters.

Many years ago, the night shift signaller at West Thurrock Jn was surprised to find the first train of the morning stopping to pick up the token for the Ockendon branch, as weekend resignalling had done away with the practice. Quick as a flash he handed the driver the signal box broom, which was conveyed across the branch and handed back on the return trip.

Another occasion the 04.xx Tilbury Riverside to Fenchurch St was about 45 late start. The reason in the Control log was that a cat had walked across the panel and locked all the routes up. Shame the cat didn't carry an alarm clock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.