• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller/crossing keeper interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

samlf

Hi everyone,

following your help on my last threads where I had an interview for signalling at the beginning of February, it appears that unfortunately the jobs were withdrawn. Even more disappointingly I don't seem to be able to get any feedback from my interview.

I now have an interview next week for signaller, but when the role was mentioned by NR HR they called it 'crossing keeper'. On googling the box it does indeed seem that the location has a manually operated crossing. Does anyone know if this means I'll not be doing any signalling? Or how the role differs from 'pure' signalling?

Finally, the job is advertised with a salary of £23,645 but doesn't mention a grade. I believe this a grade 2 salary, but should I still expect to get the usual benefits with graded salaries eg enhancements for BH working, sundays etc?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

contrad!ction

I now have an interview next week for signaller, but when the role was mentioned by NR HR they called it 'crossing keeper'. On googling the box it does indeed seem that the location has a manually operated crossing. Does anyone know if this means I'll not be doing any signalling? Or how the role differs from 'pure' signalling?

Finally, the job is advertised with a salary of £23,645 but doesn't mention a grade. I believe this a grade 2 salary, but should I still expect to get the usual benefits with graded salaries eg enhancements for BH working, sundays etc?

The salary you've quoted is indeed for a signaller grade 2. All grades 2-10 cover the exact same amount of the rule book (excluding AC/DC, level xings etc...) and you will be carrying out full signalling duties (rather than just being a crossing keeper).

All grades 1-10 get the usual BH/Sunday/RDW enhancements regardless.

Which box is it you've applied for?

nom de guerre

following your help on my last threads where I had an interview for signalling at the beginning of February, it appears that unfortunately the jobs were withdrawn. Even more disappointingly I don't seem to be able to get any feedback from my interview.

I'm afraid disappointment is often the overriding emotion when dealing with NR HR.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The salary you've quoted is indeed for a signaller grade 2.

Is it not Grade 1?

Last year's pay spreadsheet lists Grade 1 as £23,388; Grade 2 as £25,807 (obviously both have risen slightly since then).

contrad!ction

Is it not Grade 1?

Last year's pay spreadsheet lists Grade 1 as £23,388; Grade 2 as £25,807 (obviously both have risen slightly since then).

You're very right there, I just took it off a grade 2 vacancy on the current list that's obviously wrong! (Thought it sounded a little low...)

The RMT database agrees with you as well.

samlf

Luckily, I have now received feedback some 13 weeks after interview, so that will be really helpful for the upcoming interview.

Ah ok so it's grade one, at least it gets me in though. Box is at Wye, Ashford.

Last edited:

nom de guerre

Good luck!

Your booked Sundays will add £10K or so to that figure, and going forward, there is still a reasonably wide choice of lower/medium-graded boxes to move to on Kent route (as well as Ashford IECC and East Kent ROC).

Status
Not open for further replies.