• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have a query with the medical requirements for a signaller, specifically the vision test. I'm currently in the process of applying and as I don't have perfect vision, it's a bit of a concern for me.

I've had a search on here and unable to find a specific answer, so I'm hoping someone will know :)

I've found the following online regarding the medical

"Vision Test
A Snellen Vision Chart is used to measure your visual acuity for both eyes together, the left eye individually and the right eye individually.

For Track Workers Standard, uncorrected vision must be at least 3/60. Distance vision must be at least 6/9 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye, with spectacles or contacts if worn for PTS Standard and
signallers that go on track.

For Signallers not required to go on or near the line, distance vision should be at least 6/12 in the better eye and 6/36 in the other eye, with spectacles or contact lenses if worn."

Does anyone know which test we have to comply with for a signaller, how will the tester know if the role is track or non-track based, if they are to pass or fail you on the day?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Validation

Hi

I have a query with the medical requirements for a signaller, specifically the vision test. I'm currently in the process of applying and as I don't have perfect vision, it's a bit of a concern for me.

I've had a search on here and unable to find a specific answer, so I'm hoping someone will know :)

I've found the following online regarding the medical

"Vision Test
A Snellen Vision Chart is used to measure your visual acuity for both eyes together, the left eye individually and the right eye individually.

For Track Workers Standard, uncorrected vision must be at least 3/60. Distance vision must be at least 6/9 in the better eye and 6/12 in the other eye, with spectacles or contacts if worn for PTS Standard and
signallers that go on track.

For Signallers not required to go on or near the line, distance vision should be at least 6/12 in the better eye and 6/36 in the other eye, with spectacles or contact lenses if worn."

Does anyone know which test we have to comply with for a signaller, how will the tester know if the role is track or non-track based, if they are to pass or fail you on the day?

Thanks

Hi,

I had my medical on Friday and in regards to the eye tests it was the Snellen chart which tests for colour blindness (This is a book with numbers on coloured backgrounds.)

The other test was akin to an Opticians chart where they ask you to read the bottom line unaided, with boith eyes and then with each eye closed. Take your time and steady your vision, I believe if you do wear corrective lenses then you will be able to do so, after you have attempted to read the chart unaided.

The nurse did inform me on the day of the result.

Hope that is of some help, any questions let me know and good luck!

nom de guerre

Birmingham ROC

In which case, you'll only be required to pass the less exacting of the two standards. (And yes - the tester will know).

ROC signalling involves staring at banks of VDU screens, so it's not unusual to see signallers in that type of environment wearing glasses or contacts.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll be fine.

Raul_Duke

If you can drive, you should legally (theoretically) be able to see at least 6/12 in your better/only eye.

That should give you some indication.

Seems like a pretty low standard for signallers though?

Status
Not open for further replies.