• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller school York 13th feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan81

Just looking for some info, some of us start signaller school next weekend and it was mentioned we maybe staying in student halls, anyone had this pleasure or potential hell?. Would really appreciate a heads up about this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Validation

As one of the first to have the pleasure of the student halls, I can tell you it is a bit of a nightmare.

I don't know if they have made any improvements in the last few weeks, but the food options are minimal and quite frankly poor (One meat dish, one fish (Sometimes), and one veggie dish. your keycards at the uni won't even allow you access into the restaurant and you had best be quick to avoid the food running out! No meal allowance like at the hotels.

The rooms are what you expect from a university, although you are swapped around every week and some rooms are more suspect than others. Had a big mould problem the first one, I was promised I wouldn't be placed back in it and then 2 weeks later I was back, with some sealant covering said mould.

Single beds, noisy student neighbours and a lack of communal space just added to the woes of the 6 weeks we were there. Also, you'll have to get a bus into the train station every morning and evening and will have to claim this back on expenses.

I know lots of comments and concerns have gone forward to the team who organise the hotels, they do listen and try to liaise with the uni to rectify things. I know someone who was there as of last week was moved out completely due to various issues. Hopefully they scrap it altogether soon!

Any other questions, drop me a PM!

fantaheed

was everyone on your course booked in to halls or just the unfortunate few?

I'm due to start signalling school in York 27th march and really hope it isn't in a halls of residence

K8tie

I have heard that they won't be using the university anymore whilst the students are around as the main issue is the noise.

LimeStSte

Hi all,

Well done on getting your place at signalling school!

I'm currently on week 3 and weve been staying at the Park Inn Radisson and are booked there until the end of week 4 with week 5 onwards supposed to be in the uni.
We have been informed that we have been removed from the uni as its not ideal and they are currently in the process of finding us a hotel!

Hopefully you get a hotel and best of luck

Alan81

There is 6 of us booked in from Sunday night for at least a week, doesn't look too bad looking at the website but we will see.

eriks

I thought people were encouraged to stay late on the simulators and also work together occasionally in the evenings. That's a bit hard if they have to travel to the Uni 3 miles away by bus for the evening meal at 6.30!

Status
Not open for further replies.