• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signaller Selection Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshy89

Hello

Has anybody recently sat the signaller section tests a situational judgment test, a verbal reasoning test and a numerical reasoning test.

Maths is my big downfall unfortunately and never been a strong subject of mine. Just wondering what the tests consist of and any help and advice in preparing for the tests.

Should I be successful and invited to complete them

Thanks for your help in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chumba

Look in the career as a signaller forum ! Or ask there if you can’t find what you’re looking for, you’ll have better luck there.

ChrisRS

You should try the SHL practice tests to gain an insight. I don't think anyone will tell you what the test consists of, as that's gaining an unfair advantage.

Rockhopper

There are example tests to try before you have a go at the real thing. Trouble is you never get to know your actual scores and the fail mark is very very low but your actual scores are taken into account when progressing through to the next step. Also the tests results are kept on file for 12 months (although the application form mentions having taken them within six months which suggests that you might be able to do them again) so you if you think you've cocked it up and want another go - then you can't, those tests will go forward for every signaller job you apply for in the next 6/12 months.

Welshy89

Hi Thanks for your reply

is there any reason why the pass mark is very low.

Also with regards to the test are all tests put together for a final score or are the test kept separately to work out scores from each test

Rockhopper

No idea on how they score it. I know someone who only answered half the questions and still got through but I have known one or two on here who have been rejected at that stage.

Welshy89

Great thanks for your reply I’ve only noticed the job advertised yesterday so need to have a good look at it maths isn’t my strong point at all I’m just hoping my policing experience in a control room and cctv control room will help

Rockhopper

Bear in mind that they'll probably have well over a hundred applicants for that job so they are quite brutal in getting it down to the five or so that they will interview. I'd expect the seventy questions and three tests to take priority over the CV at this stage of the process as it'll be HR that process it rather than the hiring manager.

Welshy89

Ok thanks for that information I am expecting there is a lot of competition to be honest will give it my best shot and see what happens

Rockhopper

Yep, the only way to be sure of not getting it is to not apply in the first place :)

Welshy89

Do you have to have a certain number of GCSEs to apply for the role or is it like the police where they look at your experience and suitability to the role

Welshy89

Hasn’t mentioned anything about qualifications on the front page haven’t gone on the actual application form yet. Is the signaller positions a different recruitment process throughout the country

Stigy

Established Member
Do you have to have a certain number of GCSEs to apply for the role or is it like the police where they look at your experience and suitability to the role
I believe it’s an apprenticeship these days, so you will need to either have GCSEs or obtain the equivalent when in post. I think NWR take this approach, which is why there’s no mention of GCSEs on the advert. A friend of mine had to take a couple of functional skills tests which were the equivalent of GCSEs, whilst training.

Rockhopper

Someone mentioned about a simple English and maths test early in the course then further testing to get you up to speed.

Saracen_83

Right no need for GCSEs, if you h e c or above in maths and English then you do not need to do the functional skills tests when at signalling school, but you need to be able to prove you have them (I provided my certificates for example)

If you can’t prove it and it is not on their system, do not panic, you will just sit the fictional skills test when at school. You will also sit a practice test at the start of school to see if you need any help in achieving the pass mark on the skills tests.

As for the tests that form part of the selection process, do not worry how it is scored. Do the best you can do on the tests and if it good enough to pass then so be it. In order to get an interview you need to be in the highest 5 scorers when your test scores and your 70 questions are all added up (you get marks for each question you say yes to and each example given) also note you will not Be able to answer some of the questions as some are signalling related which as a non signaller you can’t answer!

I would not worry about how and why it scored like it is, just do the best You can in the tests, use your experience and skills you have gained from the police to answer the 70 questions and cross your fingers. It took me over 20 applications to get an interview.

as mentioned, the career as a signaller thread/sticky at the top this forum is the best place for you to go for answers. My advice, as long as it is, is to read that thread from the beginning, as a lot, if not all your questions you have posted have been answered numerous times on there.

good luck!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.