• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling Codes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sunset route

Established Member
I've just seen one that's puzzling me...

ALEX in a siding just outside Brighton right now? Screenshot below... I'm guessing it is not 73 101...!!!

View attachment 149534

It’s just a note on who is the sidings DP (designated person) when they are on duty as they all have individual contact numbers. Not all signallers will interpose the name.

SWTurbo

Best one I've ever seen was a flooding somewhere, and the 2 signalling blocks at it showed GLUG GLUG.....

That might happen again today, at some point......
BEST FIND *A** BOAT was a recent one from one siggy at TVSC...

Annetts key

Established Member
Has TVSC not managed PLAY POOH *STI CKS* yet?
After all, it has been played at Chipping Sodbury on the ground flooded track before...

Freightmaster

Established Member
It’s just a note on who is the sidings DP (designated person) when they are on duty as they all have individual contact numbers. Not all signallers will interpose the name.
I've also seen [NOPC] on several occasions (currently at Bow Goods for example),
which I take to mean NO Person in Charge?

MARK

sir_gummerz

Slightly off corse, But sometimes the signalers put jokes/references in too.

The last XC HST at temple meads had "fare well HST" written over 3 berths.

Below is a OTT screenshot from flooding west of Bristol a few weeks back, as mentioned by another comment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204_181259_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231204_181259_Chrome.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 242

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Today's buffer stop collision at Wimbledon ( unit 21441/2 before anyone asks ) resulted in "BANG" appearing on the describer; screenshot below:

1705883364568.png

Teddyward

Wickford platform 4 has N720 permanently transposed so a 720 can’t be routed in there by mistake.

LBMPSB

You'll find "RUST" on the Metropolitan Reverse out of Cannon Street around to Metropolitan Junction. Used to be used every morning and evening for empty stock moves via Blackfriars. Now only used once or twice a year for Track Recording, or under perturbation via Cannon Street. Even that is rare now as GTR do not like SER trains crossing "their line" between Ewer Street and Met Junction.

ComUtoR

Established Member
You'll find "RUST" on the Metropolitan Reverse out of Cannon Street around to Metropolitan Junction. Used to be used every morning and evening for empty stock moves via Blackfriars. Now only used once or twice a year for Track Recording, or under perturbation via Cannon Street. Even that is rare now as GTR do not like SER trains crossing "their line" between Ewer Street and Met Junction.

I don't think the Metropolitan Reversible can be used when there is service disruption anymore as I'm sure South Eastern drivers no longer sign it.

Or because of the new signalling layout.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Probably three of the most common I see are;
'GONE' for lifted track still shown on the panel but not usable.
'1 IN' which indicates a train in this section is either loading or stabled.
'WAGS' for wagons with no loco or headcode.

D7666

I captured these two over xmas when West Hampstead NX panels were being replaced by workstations

WH
NX

I assume the AVFC has something to do with a west midlands roman antiquity ....................

Attachments

• bed pan 2 traksy 251223.png
    bed pan 2 traksy 251223.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 97
  • bed pan 1 traksy 251223.png
    bed pan 1 traksy 251223.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 96

LBMPSB

I don't think the Metropolitan Reversible can be used when there is service disruption anymore as I'm sure South Eastern drivers no longer sign it.
You would be surprised the number that do.
Or because of the new signalling layout.
The new layout still allows trains to traverse between Charing Cross and Cannon Street in both directions. You can get to Cannon Street from Blackfriars, but cannot get from Cannon Street to Blackfriars(no signalled move)

alxndr

Established Member
Didn't get change to see it myself, but seen a post elsewhere of perhaps my favourite one yet due to flooding in Chipping Sodbury:
ltap3vbpfjjc1.jpg

[image description: screenshot from Traksy showing the words "SEND RNLI" in two train describer berths]

Established Member
Some 'H2O' currently on the line between Newton Abbot and Totnes
1708889344092.png