• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signalling School June 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradGarner

After being a long time lurker on here, I've finally had confirmation of a start date for Signalling School!

I will be on the course starting June the 19th. Is anyone else on here going to be on the same course?

I would also be very appreciative of any information about the current layout of signalling school and what to expect. From reading other posts it seems that signalling school layout has changed fairly often within the last few years and it would be great to hear from someone that's just recently passed out.

Can't wait to get started!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikesig

Are you sure that you're going to Leeds? Only Leeds signalling school closed a good while back. You may find that you're going to York.

BradGarner

My mistake there mate, I've not had confirmation of the location just date so far. I created the thread just after reading an older thread about Leeds signalling school:oops:

Edited to just dates as it should have been:D sorry about that

BradGarner

Hi, I too start York on the 19th. I'll be at Derby ROC

Hi Gav, I'm also going into a position at Derby ROC. Will you be at Derby at all before the 19th? I've got a start date of 5th June to have a week at Derby before signalling school.

BradGarner

Are you guys heading up on the Sunday or Monday morning? I'm away 11-18 June and getting back late on Sunday night so I think I'll be travelling up early Monday morning the first week. Hopefully, that journey goes smooth and I get there with plenty of time to spare before the first class starts.

Gavmoore

Are you guys heading up on the Sunday or Monday morning? I'm away 11-18 June and getting back late on Sunday night so I think I'll be travelling up early Monday morning the first week. Hopefully, that journey goes smooth and I get there with plenty of time to spare before the first class starts.

TBH I've not really given it much thought. Probably Sunday b4 so as I'm not rushing about.

SmokeAndJoe

Sunday before for me, where are you travelling from @bradgarner?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BradGarner

I'll be travelling up on something like the 0620 train from Chesterfield direct to York. There for about 0730. Hopefully, that's enough time for me to drop my stuff off at the hotel (Depending on the hotel location) and get back over to class.

Mikesig

I'll be travelling up on something like the 0620 train from Chesterfield direct to York. There for about 0730. Hopefully, that's enough time for me to drop my stuff off at the hotel (Depending on the hotel location) and get back over to class.

There is a (locked) luggage room at York Training Centre. If it were me, I'd aim to get into York about 8.30. If you ask reception for the key to the luggage store you can put your stuff in there until you've finished for the day, save a trip to the hotel in the morning and get an extra hour in bed :lol:.

BradGarner

There is a (locked) luggage room at York Training Centre. If it were me, I'd aim to get into York about 8.30. If you ask reception for the key to the luggage store you can put your stuff in there until you've finished for the day, save a trip to the hotel in the morning and get an extra hour in bed :lol:.

That sounds like a solid plan mate, the extra hour would be nice and I think it'll be an early night Monday to catch up on sleep! :p

Seagull82

Morning all, will be on the course also. Another from down Sussex way like SmokeAndJoe.

LewesTom

Hi all,

I'm starting my course at York next Monday. Would any of you guys that have been up there for the last month have any tips I might need to know etc?

Also, what's the deal with travel? I know the LOM is booking my train tickets for the Sunday out/Friday back - are they set time tickets or flexible?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Travel is like you say dealt with by your LOM, your booked on XYZ train with a seat reservation but you can catch any train but you won't have a seat booked.

Regards to anything else you need to know....pray you don't get booked unit the Uni digs !!!!

Which box you off to ?

LewesTom

Regards to anything else you need to know....pray you don't get booked unit the Uni digs !!!!

Which box you off to ?

I'll cross my fingers! I'm joining Three Bridges ROC, specifically the Lewes/Bexhill section of the Coastway East I believe.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I'd assume you'd be on the IECC course then ?
12 weeks now I think, good course you'll enjoy it.

Drh78

What's the average waiting time from passing everything and being offered the job, to getting a start date on a course? And well done everyone!

Seagull82

I'll cross my fingers! I'm joining Three Bridges ROC, specifically the Lewes/Bexhill section of the Coastway East I believe.

Hi Tom,

There's 4 of us up at York at the mo from TBROC so come find us and say hello. We went in on the Friday before the course started to see the LOMS to get our rule books and train tickets (or rather, a big list of reference numbers to put in the machines!)

Pretty sure you will be on an NX course rather than VDU initially as they only have two VDU instructors and one sim room but it's a fairly easy transition between the two I am told.

LewesTom

What's the average waiting time from passing everything and being offered the job, to getting a start date on a course? And well done everyone!

I had about a two week wait to hear after my interview (mid April), the offer came through at the end of May and was confirmed after all the medical tests.

Hi Tom,

There's 4 of us up at York at the mo from TBROC so come find us and say hello. We went in on the Friday before the course started to see the LOMS to get our rule books and train tickets (or rather, a big list of reference numbers to put in the machines!)

Pretty sure you will be on an NX course rather than VDU initially as they only have two VDU instructors and one sim room but it's a fairly easy transition between the two I am told.

Good to hear...should have known you were Sussex with a handle like 'Seagull' (UTA!). Thanks for the info, I'm going in this Friday to do the same. Hopefully see you over the next couple of weeks!

j4mes007

Hi Tom,

Starting signalling school on the 7th August, whats the name of your accommodation you are staying in? did you get a hotel?

Thanks

Seagull82

Good to hear...should have known you were Sussex with a handle like 'Seagull' (UTA!). Thanks for the info, I'm going in this Friday to do the same. Hopefully see you over the next couple of weeks!

Look forward to it dude!
ps. I think you're coming from an office where me and another chap on the course know at least a couple of your colleagues ..... say hello to Stoney and Maria from us :)

Seagull82

Starting signalling school on the 7th August, whats the name of your accommodation you are staying in? did you get a hotel?

Thanks

There's a few hotels that get used here apparently. Your LOM will be able to give you details in due course where you will be at.

LewesTom

Look forward to it dude!
ps. I think you're coming from an office where me and another chap on the course know at least a couple of your colleagues ..... say hello to Stoney and Maria from us :)

That's true! It's my last day down there tomorrow, will pass on your regards.

smartemarte

Hi everyone

for the people who started signalling school in June how did it go ?

I'm starting tomorrow so i'm trying to do as much prep work as I can :D

Status
Not open for further replies.