• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Signed Routes (Northern Conductors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocohol13

Hi All,

Just wandering if anyone in this forum can help, I’m training to be a Northern conductor based at Doncaster.

Can anyone tell me what routes they sign being based at Doncaster?

Also interested in the routes conductors sign by:
- Leeds
- Sheffield
- Carlisle
- Middlesbrough
- York

Thanks in Advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

2L70

On Moderation
Doncaster sign to Leeds, Sheffield, Hull, Scunthorpe and Selby.

You’ll enjoy it, great little depot with a few characters.

Geeves

Established Member
York -

Leeds via Harrogate and mainline
Manchester Vic via Bradford
Hull.
Scarborough (in training)

Carlisle -

Leeds
Newcastle
Newcastle to Morpeth.
Carlisle to Dumfries.

Adam0984

Leeds
North west triangle (Skipton, Ilkley & Bradford FS)
Man Vic both ways (Bradford & Dewsbury)
Sheffield both ways (Barnsley and Moorthorpe)
York via Harrogate (Except 1 link)
York via Micklefield
Selby
Knottingley both ways (Castleford and Wakefield)
Blackpool (4 out of 6 links)
Goole (1 link)
Carlisle (1 link)
Huddersfield to Sheffield via Penistone (1 link)
Huddersfield to Wakefield (3 links)
Halifax to Huddersfield

Leeds
York via Micklefield
Selby
Goole (1 link)
Carlisle (1 link)
Halifax to Huddersfield
Hi there Adam.

Very interesting information here, however, could you just clarify what the ‘link’ actually refers too? I am guessing it’s a leftover remnant of British Railway.

Adam0984

Hi there Adam.

Very interesting information here, however, could you just clarify what the ‘link’ actually refers too? I am guessing it’s a leftover remnant of British Railway.
Larger depots have links which is a group of drivers or conductors sometimes done on seniority so like at Leeds them that have been there the longest link 1 go Carlisle and Nottingham as well as the other non link specific routes. If they didnt do the link system it would at Leeds mean that it would be a 200 week rota so you wouldnt be booked to do that same diagram again on a monday for about 2 years. Also routes like Carlisle and Notts have only so many trains allocated to Leeds depot so for route retention purposes it has to be limited to a certain amount of people

dave87016

Established Member
Leeds
York via Micklefield
Selby
Goole (1 link)
Carlisle (1 link)
Halifax to Huddersfield

Adam I think Leeds guards also sign Nottingham’s I’m not 100% certain if they do but there is one Leeds guard I know who’s been at northern for many years I’m sure he said he signs Nottingham’s

Edit sorry just seen your above post regarding Leeds signing Nottingham’s

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Hi there Adam.

Here's an example of two links. I've redacted some of the information as it isn't relevant here. Both are 48 lines, and both now cover all of the same routes however up until 2016 there were separate routes that each link had work on. For example Link 2 at Nottingham worked to Crewe, but did not work between Lincoln and Peterborough, and the reverse was true of Link 1, and Link 1 had more diagrams working to Norwich as historically you didn't sign Norwich for the first few years of your career, in the older Central Trains days there were 4 links and you had to be in the top two links to sign to Norwich, so this was a hangover of those days. Both links have the same rest day pattern, being a 4 day week, with rest days (your days off) grouped as Monday & Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, Friday & Saturdays, with the Friday to Tuesday grouped as a long weekend.

Attachments

• NMLink1.jpg
    NMLink1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 163
  • NMLink2.jpg
    NMLink2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 145

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Here's an example of two links. I've redacted some of the information as it isn't relevant here. Both are 48 lines, and both now cover all of the same routes however up until 2016 there were separate routes that each link had work on. For example Link 2 at Nottingham worked to Crewe, but did not work between Lincoln and Peterborough, and the reverse was true of Link 1, and Link 1 had more diagrams working to Norwich as historically you didn't sign Norwich for the first few years of your career, in the older Central Trains days there were 4 links and you had to be in the top two links to sign to Norwich, so this was a hangover of those days. Both links have the same rest day pattern, being a 4 day week, with rest days (your days off) grouped as Monday & Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, Friday & Saturdays, with the Friday to Tuesday grouped as a long weekend.
That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. So what is the reason now for the two links? Is it purely to keep the lines down?

2L70

On Moderation
York -

Leeds via Harrogate and mainline
Manchester Vic via Bradford
Hull.
Scarborough (in training)

Carlisle -

Leeds
Newcastle
Newcastle to Morpeth.
Carlisle to Dumfries.

Middlesborough Sign to Whitby, Saltburn, Bishop Auckland, Newcastle via the Coast and Durham.

Status
Not open for further replies.