• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Simon Jenkins article regarding cancelled electrification schemes: Is this serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Simon Jenkins often writes deliberately provocative columns - I think he does it just to get a reaction. Some people would call him an attention seeker. He once described Beeching as a "genius". I might be wrong but I think he was a member of the old BRB board, so he knows something about railways (or ought to).

Best ignored.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

squizzler

Established Member
Simon Jenkins often writes deliberately provocative columns - I think he does it just to get a reaction. Some people would call him an attention seeker. He once described Beeching as a "genius". I might be wrong but I think he was a member of the old BRB board, so he knows something about railways (or ought to).

Best ignored.

That sounds a bit harsh? How about this from an opinion piece last November:
If Grayling really cared, he would spend the money replacing Britain’s archaic fixed-block signals, which have not advanced conceptually since the 19th century. Europe is racing ahead with on-board moving-block signalling, which can double or treble line capacity. For a fraction of the £70bn Grayling is spending on HS2, services on Britain’s north-south routes could be transformed. Instead, he is gold-plating the dark ages.

If only they had thought to install this readily available moving-block signalling last time one of Britain's north-south routes was upgraded. The West Coast Route Modernisation would've been a great opportunity.

Oh sorry, I forgot, it's satire.

muddythefish

On Moderation
Simon Jenkins has never been one to let the trifling matter of the facts get in the way of a good rant

MarkyT

Established Member
If only they had thought to install this readily available moving-block signalling last time one of Britain's north-south routes was upgraded. The West Coast Route Modernisation would've been a great opportunity.

He's always been rabidly anti HS2, and will exploit any point whatsoever in that cause even when the point itself is dubious, as with this signalling case. The fact is UK is not at all behind other European countries in renewing and replacing signalling technology, and most that are actively rolling out ETCS in the level 2 form (not moving block) are limiting it to particular European corridors and new high speed lines. Denmark differs in that they have committed to early network wide L2, but they are struggling with costs and timescales as they are effectively having to resignal their entire network in one go. UK's NR has previously declared network wide L2 as being the endgame, but that was in the heady days of high spending, while today's Digital Railway initiatives are more targeted and nuanced. For the majority of their lines, France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and others are instead morphing their legacy protection systems into a modernised Level 1 LS (limited supervision) ETCS implementation (using standard ETCS hardware to recreate Swiss ZUB, German Indusi functionality for instance). That approach, with a simple wired interface for each existing signal, doesn't require the complete replacement of all the underlying systems as has invariably been the case with L2 schemes to date. Modern UK renewal schemes are supposed to be 'ETCS-ready', which is mainly satisfied by the use of modern processor-based interlocking technology, routine today anyway.

squizzler

Established Member
He's always been rabidly anti HS2, and will exploit any point whatsoever in that cause even when the point itself is dubious, as with this signalling case. The fact is UK is not at all behind other European countries in renewing and replacing signalling technology, and most that are actively rolling out ETCS in the level 2 form (not moving block) are limiting it to particular European corridors and new high speed lines. Denmark differs in that they have committed to early network wide L2, but they are struggling with costs and timescales as they are effectively having to resignal their entire network in one go. UK's NR has previously declared network wide L2 as being the endgame, but that was in the heady days of high spending, while today's Digital Railway initiatives are more targeted and nuanced. For the majority of their lines, France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and others are instead morphing their legacy protection systems into a modernised Level 1 LS (limited supervision) ETCS implementation (using standard ETCS hardware to recreate Swiss ZUB, German Indusi functionality for instance). That approach, with a simple wired interface for each existing signal, doesn't require the complete replacement of all the underlying systems as has invariably been the case with L2 schemes to date. Modern UK renewal schemes are supposed to be 'ETCS-ready', which is mainly satisfied by the use of modern processor-based interlocking technology, routine today anyway.

Just as the original article was apparently such elegant trolling that many of us, including myself, fell for it until enlightened by those in the know, I have to confess I was employing sarcasm in applauding his suggestion of moving block on mainlines. As you doubtless know, moving block was specified for the WCML and the chief reason for the failure of that project in its original form.

Incidentally I did not go out my way to look for goofs in Jenkins' previous work, the article linked was the first one I came to in his back catalogue in the guardian on the subject of railways. He spills a fair amount of ink lionising heritage lines in that article too.

Bornin1980s

Genuine question; has any diesel train/locomotive ever been successfully converted to electric/battery electric, anywhere in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.