• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sir Michael Parkinson Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard that Sir Michael Parkinson has died aged 88. I remember him on ITV (STV where I live) in the 2000s and he was on SunLife ads.
He had his own TV show Parkinson as most will remember. He was a friend of the former comedian Billy Connolly.

He will be sadly missed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
...and I think we can all expect "that" clip to be on the BBC News tonight at 18.00, given that Rod Hull and Emu are trending on Twitter instead of the great man himself...

Blimey - is it really 47 years since Parkinson had those two on his show?! I remember it from at the time...

1692276932080.png

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Just three people left alive from the Band On The Run album cover now - McCartney himself, Denny Laine, and John Conteh.

...and I think we can all expect "that" clip to be on the BBC News tonight at 18.00, given that Rod Hull and Emu are trending on Twitter instead of the great man himself...
A newsreader doing the BBC News at Six tonight will definitely be saying "Michael Parkinson has died at the age of 88", and the same cannot be said for ITV Evening News, guessing that Lucrezia Millarini will be saying that as well.

Thirteen

I know Rod Hull and Emu is the most infamous moment, the Meg Ryan interview was a close second.

Sad but not unexpected, his last few appearances he was looking increasingly frail which at that age is not that surprising.

jfollows

Established Member
My parents watched him and therefore so did I, one television in the house and so on. Through this I was introduced to Billy Connolly whom my mother and I found excruciatingly amusing and my father didn't really like all that much. The other stuff with Muhammed Ali and so on didn't do anything for me, and all those has-been film stars were a bore. He was good at his job and when he occasionally had someone who interested me it was good television.

dgl

Established Member
An excellent interviewer and a seemingly nice man, he will be missed.
Thought I'd link an interview with him on the Scandinavian talk show Skavlan, a rare occasion where he was being interviewed.

I know Rod Hull and Emu is the most infamous moment, the Meg Ryan interview was a close second.

Sad but not unexpected, his last few appearances he was looking increasingly frail which at that age is not that surprising.
Did Parky outlive Emu though?

BrandanM

The Muhammad Ali and Billy Connolly interviews are on BBC4 this evening (Saturday 19th) starting at 10.40pm. Obviously not listed in the TV guide magazines.

I've just been reading how Michael Parkinson clashed with Kenneth Williams on the show in 1973 over comments by the latter regarding striking rail workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.