• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sir Nigel Gresley at Marylebone 1985/1986?

One of my very earliest memories of railways was when my dad took me to see Sir Nigel Gresley at Marlyebone in 1985 (or it could have been 1986)? I don't think it was there for a railtour but it was only hauling trains between the station and the tunnel. I think I did about 2 or 3 three trips to the tunnel and back and went on the footplate.

What was the reason the loco was at the station? I have done some internet searches and the loco did haul some railtours in 1985 from Marylebone to Stratford upon Avon but I cannot find anything about the trips to the tunnel and back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
12th January 1985 was the first railtour into Marylebone with Sir Nigel Gresley, so that tallies with your memory of the dates. Below is my attempt at a special effects picture of the arrival - my intention was to focus sharply on the nameplate with a panning motion so that the name would be clear within a symmetrical blur of colour. I very nearly got it right... pressed the button just a moment too soon...

"To the tunnel and back" - could that be a memory of a release move and shunt to the depot? I don't recall hearing of any actual experience trips matching that description.

Attachments

• Peter Archive 1336.jpg
    Peter Archive 1336.jpg
    678.6 KB · Views: 88

AJM580

21 Jan 1985 , 4498 was at Marylebone in connection with the release of special stamps commemorating Great British trains.