• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Six Pit colliery sidings

lazonbytunnel

IMG_3273.jpeg

I’ve been trying to confirm the location of the colliery in this image. The most obvious answer seems to be Swansea as in Six Pit Junction. I haven’t yet managed to corroborate this though and have come across other collieries being referred to as Six Pit, such as Lumley Six Pit in Durham. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance as always.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I suspect that this is one for coal mine enthusiasts. A possible starting point could be the forum on .welshcoalmines.co.uk . If it isn’t Wales, then the Northern Mine Research Society ( .nmrs.org.uk ) might be able to point you in the right direction.

Gloster

Established Member
There was a Six Pit at Lumley Colliery and also a Sixth Pit at Beamish. (Source: Durham Mining Museum website.)

stuving

There was a Six Pit at Lumley Colliery and also a Sixth Pit at Beamish. (Source: Durham Mining Museum website.)
I found several other examples, spread across he country. If you think about it, by the end of the 19th century mining companies had grown large enough to own several mines, and would sink new shafts even in the larger mines. These would initially be numbered, though often they had names as well. Most mines had fewer than six shafts, but there were enough bigger ones that it was hardly rare. Whether the locals would say "six pit" or a variation on that is hard to say, as it might not match official usage.

What is unusual in the picture, and would allow identification:
1. The engine house with its hipped roof, and that dormer thing where the cables pass through.
2. The pithead tower, with no superstructure over the wheels, and vertical uprights seen from this angle (though I think angled seen from the left side).

Of course you have to find a picture of this one before you can recognise it!

Big Jumby 74

Any possible clues in relation to where (from) you acquired the image? To me it looks about 1900 give or take quite a few years, and many pits that did survive until Nationalisation arrived in 1947 will have changed appearance in many ways in the intervening years. The hotch potch of the roof styles of the screens a point in case, that over the 3rd and 4th (from left) sidings being more akin to that of a nissan hut style, than the other more usual apex roof designs. Not an easy one to identify by any means.

stuving

Link to 1900s era OS map of Lumley Sixth Pit, located in the County Durham area. Not saying this is definitely the one, though.

There is a picture on the Durham Mining Museum site that matches the photo very closely. Which pit number at Lumley isn't stated, but if it's not the same one it was built to the same pattern. I'd say this view is earlier - it says 1894 - and from the back (rather than flipped). I guess you'll want to contact them to compare notes, so I haven't risked annoying them by posting their picture here.

Last edited:

Big Jumby 74

Link to 1900s era OS map of Lumley Sixth Pit, located in the County Durham area. Not saying this is definitely the one, though.

Map Finder - with Outlines - National Library of Scotland
If it is the area concerned, it brings back many memories. With no train service to the immediate area use to catch 220 bus from Durham to Houghton-le-spring and then a 231 the last leg to Fence Houses, taking in Lambton works, Philadelphia etc on foot.

lazonbytunnel

Any possible clues in relation to where (from) you acquired the image?
Unfortunately not, the previous owner assumed it was Swansea but that was probably just based on a quick Google of “Six Pit”.

There is a picture on the Durham Mining Museum site that matches the photo very closely. Which pit number at Lumley isn't stated, but if it's not the same one it was built to the same pattern. I'd say this view is earlier - it says 1894 - and from the back (rather than flipped). I guess you'll want to contact them to compare notes, so I haven't risked annoying them by posting their picture here.
That does look very like it indeed from another angle , thank you. I’ll get in touch with DMM to confirm and report back.