• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skipton - Sunderland ticket advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyBoy

Hi
Please can I ask for some more advice, this time from Skipton to Sunderland and back?
Date will be Monday 18th February arriving around lunchtime and leaving the same day as late as possible. An off-peak return with a 16-25 railcard is £42
Is it possible to do it cheaper than this, preferably without being tied to particular trains? And is it possible to do without having to use the Metro between Newcastle and Sunderland?
Many thanks.
Billy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can use Northern services, either via Newcastle or via Thornaby (it is permitted to double-back between Thornaby and Middlesbrough if you have a long enough wait).

If times via the coastal route suite you, then a series of Skipton - York (Anytime Return), York - Hartlepool (not via Darlington, Off Peak Day Return) and Hartlepool - Sunderland (Off Peak Day Return) get the price down considerably.

There's certainly a suitable Grand Central train in the morning (1001 off York, gets in at 1138 in time for lunchtime). In the evening the last train departs Sunderland at 1950 which requires changes at Thornaby and Leeds.

I would recommend you take the 0814 from Skipton, to allow more time to change trains at Leeds and York, though the 0826 is booked to get you there in time. You have a better chance of a seat on the 0814, as it is a 4-coach train that starts from Skipton.

BillyBoy

Wow! Thank you Yorkie. I would never have thought of that way in a million years. By my calculations that gives a saving of £10.70 over the SKI - SUN off-peak return ticket.
If going for the 08:26 would a SKI - YRK off-peak return rather than anytime return be acceptable? If so this would shave another £3.30 off the total.
Also I can't see a HPL - SUN off-peak day return on the website we book on. Though the anytime day return is only £4.35.
Many thanks once again.
Billy

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can get an Off Peak Return (SVR) from Skipton-York, the restriction text is:
OUTWARD TRAVEL
By any train except those timed to depart Mondays to Fridays before 0815

RETURN TRAVEL
By any train
Which dis-allows the 0814. But the 0826 is still a booked connection to get you there in time.

And sorry, yes the Hartlepool - Sunderland fare is an Off Peak Day Return (SDR)

Established Member
And is it possible to do without having to use the Metro between Newcastle and Sunderland?
Many thanks.
Billy

There is one train per hour between Newcastle and Sunderland opeated by Northern. Worth noting that a ticket valid on Northern between Newcastle and Sunderland is also valid on the Tyne and Wear Metro, and vice versa.

cdonnigan

OUT

06:15 skipton - carlisle arriving 08:17 £18:40 Return with 16-25 railcard

08:25 Carlisle - Sunderland arriving SUN 10:45 £12:15 Return with 16-25 railcard

there is a carlisle sunderland train a hour later getting to sunderland 11:45 if u want to stop for snack or something in carlisle

RTN
15:35 Sunderland to Newcastle Arrive 16:02 by metro unfortunatly
16:22 Newcastle to Carlisle arrive 17:59
18:18 carlisle to skipton arrive 20:18 (this is last skipton service from Carlisle)

£30.55p with 16-25 railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.