• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Skymonster's RailTrek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
Even though it was a lot of dudness for you, there was certainly a lot of variation in Derbyshire/Yorkshire to keep your eye on
Hmmm... I tend to regard my patch - the East Midlands - as a microcosm of railway boredom, with the exception of the output of Bombardier in Derby. Whereas I see the WCML as far more compelling.

My zone of dudness
image.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
Hmmm... I tend to regard my patch - the East Midlands - as a microcosm of railway boredom, with the exception of the output of Bombardier in Derby. Whereas I see the WCML as far more compelling.

My zone of dudness
View attachment 54423

20s and 73s in one day can't be sniffed at. The WCML is all Pendos and Voyagers with a few 66s thrown in.....nothing to get too excited about

Skymonster

Established Member
Mainline 73s are rare in the East Midlands with the exception of Network Rail's 138/951/952, although the GBRf examples do occasionally venture into the region. Sadly those that do come up are typically the converted locos which I saw when they were upgraded by Brush in Loughborough. The originals - several of which I need for sight - rarely get an outing so far north as I believe they tend to get a bit hot under the collar when they have work long distances off the leccy and are forced to rely on their rather small and underpowered diesel engines. Class 73s occasionally work test trains over the third rail around Liverpool - I think 951 and 952 are the preferred vehicles these days, but it's not unknown for a GBRf pair to be involved. Moves from Derby RTC to Merseyside are worth watching out for as they usually pass thorugh Stafford / Crewe en route.

For what it's worth though, and as an interesting statistic, there are more mainline-registered 20s than 88s. Admittedly the eight 20s allocated to London Underground stock moves between Derby and London are commonplace in my neck of the woods (always four together, two at each end, several days a week), but there's also the three DRS examples still working RHTTs and several others with private owners that get to haul real trains from time to time. I don't need any mainline 20s, whereas I have only seen two 88s. So @The_Train's patch wins out for me on that score alone!

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Well yeah if we are talking required stuff then your local patch is always the first place to dry up as I have found out more recently. I suppose the only blessing with the WCML is that it's heavily used for any 'special' moves from south to north and vice versa so it will always throw up surprises although saying that, having Brush in your local patch must keep things interesting.

I'm interested by these LU moves, involving 20s, you mentioned. Where do they run to?

Skymonster

Established Member
I'm interested by these LU moves, involving 20s, you mentioned. Where do they run to?
Ah, the LU S-Stock moves. They appear on RTT running Derby Litchurch Lane from / to Banbury or Neasden, the headcodes typically being 7X08/7X11 (unscrambled because they are operated by GBRf). The southbound workings usually depart during a viewing-friendly mid afternoon. Paths are available most weekdays and [for example] last week I saw them three times. But unfortunately predicting which actually run is a imprecise science from my perspective - they sometimes cancel on the day - so reliably catching them is difficult to guarantee.

Skymonster

Established Member
Season 2, Episode 17: Rotherham or bust (air date October 25, 2018) - part II

This episode started back at the lower end of page 4 with me venturing north to Sheffield with three objectives in mind:
  • Take some pictures of the Yorkshire RHTT which is hauled by DRS Class 20s
  • Ride the Supertram tram-train on its first day of revenue service to Rotherham
  • Try to catch a glimpse of 315850 in CF Booths - one of two of the class needed for sight
In part one the first item had been struck off the list despite the best efforts of Freightliner and a rake of cement tanks, and although there were plenty of units around the winner count stood at a big fat zero. So as its a new day and I've spent some time since consuming a couple of pints of Amber liquid in a convivial atmosphere, the story resumes.
image.jpeg
222022 awaits a departure to London on Platform 5 - just after the Choppers had vacated the furthest of the two centre roads.

No sooner had the last whilsting sounds of the departing Choppers receded into the tunnel at the north of Sheffield station, myself and several other enthusiasts headed up the steps to the Supertram stop - obviously there were others with the same idea. During the five minute wait the platform became quite busy, with a number of people studying the Tram-train information on the noticeboard. Clearly the launch of services to Rotherham was creating interest not just from rail fans, but also from the general public. Conventional Duewag vehicle 121 arrived after about five minutes and although it was busy most passengers found a seat. Ticket sales onboard were brisk as there are no machines on the network. As an introductory offer Stagecoach are allowing the £4.00 Dayrider to be used on the tram-train to Rotherham as well as on the standard network, although visitors to the city might be better off buying the similarly priced PlusBus or if they are venturing further afield a SYConnect+ which encapsulates the whole of South Yorkshire including Rotherham and Doncaster. For what it's worth the Dayrider is better value than a return heavy rail ticket to Rotherham, so it seems inevitable to me that the offer will not prevail long term because it will dilute Northern's revenue on the route.

A few minutes later 121 pulled up at Cathederal, just as one of the newer Vossloh / Stadler units, 399202, left with 'Rotherham Parkgate' and 'TT' boldly illuminated on its front. As background there are seven 399s on stock, although only 201 to 204 are configured for the tram-train service while the remaining three (205-207) work the long-standing routes. Of the four on the TT, three are needed for service while the fourth can be on standby or undergoing maintenance. The reason for the division in the fleet is that different wheel profiles are needed - standard heavyrail flanges apparently won't fit into the slot beside the rails on the street-running part of the network, while tram wheels which have thinner flanges and are designed for the sharper corners on the tram network don't work well on heavy rail sections. 201-204 therefore have wheels optimised by the mix of track conditions. With the unfortunate (although hopefully short-term) demise of 399204 which was involved in a collision with a lorry on launch day, it could be that one of the other units has tram-train bogies put under it to ensure the service can be maintained.

Anyway, on arrival at Cathedral it was obvious something was happening - departing 399202 was full and standing and there were lots of people standing at the stop. Unfortunately the 10 minute, 20 minute, 30 minute service pattern - necessitated to fit in with heavy rail services in the Rotherham area - meant I had 20 minutes to kill. Realising there wouldn't be an opportunity to eat for a while, I quickly schlepped over the Maccys across the road where an expired discount voucher still worked in the self-service machine. I am an extremely rare customer of such establishments, but occasionally needs must...

Sheffield Cathedral
SYS 104 106 107 110 111 112 117 121 122 123 125
SYS 399201 399202 399203

As time ticked by, several regular trams passed by, all lightly loaded. Very few of the customers standing around seem inclined to board, so it became obvious they were all heading to Rotherham. Finally 399201 came up the hill from Fitzalan Square and Castle Square, moved over the crossover, and set down its load on the eastbound platform. Clearly the good souls of Sheffield don't have a sense of waiting for inbound services to empty before boarding, and the ensuing scrum was quite entertaining to watch. Fortunately everyone found a seat during the rather rapid turnround, and we soon set off on the conventional tram network headed towards Meadowhall South / Tinsley on the yellow route.
image.jpeg
399201 departs from Meadowhall South with a service bound for Rotherham Parkgate.

I alighted at Meadowhall South to watch the tram-train navigate the short new section of track between the older tram network and the freight line through Tinsley to Rotherham. A few conventional trams came and went before 399203 arrived to convey me into new territory.

Shortly after leaving Meadowhall South the tram-train service takes a sharp left turn onto a short double-line section that connects to the national rail network. On the curve, the vehicles pause for up to a minute (practice on the day pointed to this typically being nearer 30 seconds) while the automation and the driver switch the systems from light to heavy rail configuration - GSM-R and TPWS need to be activated for the rest of the journey, the overhead power supply changes from 750V DC to 25Kv AC, and the signallers have to accept the service onto the national network. Passenger notice nothing other than a slight pause akin to a wait at a signal or a road junction.

Once on the heavyrail system 399203 accelerated quite rapidly and though the vehicles are capable of 60mph running the GPS in my phone pointed to 40mph being about as good as it got. The seats are quite comfortable but the ride was a little wallowing - not uncomfortably so but a little like being on an extremely mild fairground ride. The scenery in the area isn't very inspiring being very industrial, but it didn't last long and within five minutes an automated announcement that Rotherham Central was the next stop blasted out. Just beforehand though I gained my first sight of CF Booths yard, where I'd hoped to achieve objective 3 on my day's list. There are a few gaps in the piles of containers that surround the site, but nothing that allowed a conclusive sighting of my much-needed 315/8. Just as we pulled into the station, 144013 headed the other way - it's quite noticeable how diminutive the 399s are when alongside even something as small as a Pacer.

Rotherham Central's two platforms have been extended to the southwest to accommodate the tram-train service. The new sections are lower - a necessity for PRM access to the low-floor vehicles - and to discourage passengers from walking across the lines (accepted practice on city tram sections) a steel barrier adorned with warning signs has been erected in the four foot. A few customers alighted or boarded but most elected to remain for the remaing two miles or so to Parkgate. As 399203 left Central, it was quite obvious how low the tram-train floors are - the impression was distinctly one of looking up at passengers waiting on the heavy rail platforms.

Rotherham Parkgate isn't anything to get excited about - it's a single plaform on a short spur that enables the tram-trains to clear the through lines while they are turned round and prepared for their journeys back to Sheffield. There's a small shelter and a few seats - most outside the covered roof - and a notice board. Not even a litter bin. Parkgate is of course an out-of-town shopping centre, so there's little to do there unless travellers fancy a spot of retail therapy - or a trip to McDs for some sustenance. I got the distinct impression things weren't quite finished - while awaiting the next service workers were busily engaged in erecting a sign saying 'Parking for tram-train customers only'. Apparently there is a small park-and-ride on site.

With 20 minutes to spare before the next departure, I had a short walk down to an adjacent over bridge to catch one of the movements.
image.jpeg
399203 leaves Parkgate at the start of its return to Sheffield - the station is on the far side of the main running lines in the very left of the picture

Having strolled back to the platform 399201 soon appeared from the west. The now typical disemarkation / embarkation scum ensured as passengers scrambled for seats. The threeSupertram staff on the platform seemingly oblivious to the chaos and were more concerned with getting their own pictures - such is day one, a novelty, I guess. During my time at Parkgate two 144s and a 150 passed on the through lines, but there was precious little else to occupy the mind.
image.jpeg
399201 awaits time ahead of a departure to Sheffield

Rotherham Parkgate
NOR 144013 144002 150...
SYS 399201 399203

A quick leap back to Central followed, where I elected to leave the station to walk to CF Booths. A walk of less than ten minutes along some quite busy roads led me to the outside of the infamous scrappy where I again struggled for views. Nevertheless there were a few gaps between the otherwise impenetrable walls and buildings, and through one I gained enough of a view of some white and blue coaches to convince myself that 315850 was still partially intact even though some reports suggested chopping had alread got underway. That did me - score the first winner of the day, at 14:30!

Back at Rotherham Central 399201 soon arrived on a westbound and I elected alight at Meadowhall South again for a while to watch the action.
image.jpeg
399201 at Meadowhall South / Tinsley

image.jpeg
Older Duewag tram 112 in the bright sunshine

Meadowhall South / Tinsley
SYS 105 108 111 112 120 125
SYS 399201 399203 399204

Having spent almost half an hour at Meadowhall South watching the coming and going while warming myself in the sun, I made a choice that ultimately turned out to be a good one. Around 15:00 399204 arrived from Sheffield and having not ridden on that one so far I was tempted to board it for a ride back up to Rotherham. However, I was also hoping to strike off the last three regular Sheffield trams I needed for sight and my best chance of catching them was in the city where all the lines intersect.

So I passed up 399204 in preference for a trip on 112 which was working back into Sheffield from Meadowhall Interchange. It later transpired that 399204, on its subsequent return from Rotherham, had been involved in a collision with a lorry at Altercliffe causing significant front-end damage and derailment. Had I gone to Rotherham I'd have been on that service. The incident caused widespread chaos and the suspension of both regular and tram-train services in the east of the city for the remainder of the day, which I'm sure wasn't what Stagecoach Supertram wanted on a day when media attention was directed their way. For my own part, I was glad I hadn't gone back to Rotherham - although no customers on 204 suffered serious injuries, I would not have wanted to get caught in an accident.

Shortly after boarding dud light-loco 66090 could be seen on the heavy-rail section paralleling the tram round, and passing the Nunnery Square depot 121 and 399207 were visible outside, leaving only 399205 and 399206 outstanding for the day. 112 soon arrived at Castle Square where my plan was to imbibe in a pint or two in Wetherspoons while watching the world - and the trams - go by. Over the next hour or so almost all the regular trams, and 399205 on a purple line service, passed by. I eagerly wrote down all the numbers but at the end of the session it was disappointing to realise that the only regular trams to not feature were 101, 115 and 116. Frustratingly they were the only ones I didn't see last time I was in Sheffield, leaving me with three of the fleet of 25 still to catch. At the time it seemed strange that the movement of tram-trains had dried up (not that I needed sight of any) and only later did I become aware of the incident that had halted the service. At 16:30 I boarded 105 for three-stop ride back Sheffied station in the vain hope I'd catch a few winners there - I was still at only one score for the day.

Sheffield Castle Square
SYS 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112
SYS 113 114 117 118 119 120 122 123 124 125
SYS 399202 399205

Upon arrival back at Sheffield Midland it rapidly became apparent that it was having its own meltdown...
image.jpeg
Delays - what delays?

image.jpeg
Change at Meadowhall for Huddersfield...

Pretty much the only TOC not suffering was EMT, although both a Liverpool-bound and a Nottingham-bound service departed with only one 158 two-coach unit (instead of two) in the consist. Announcers warned customer that both were 'full and standing'.

Various reasons for the almost across the boar delays were trotted out - it was almost entertaining to note them all down. This train is delayed due to:
  • A bridge hit by a lorry earlier in the day
  • A broken down train
  • Slippery rail conditions
  • Train crew being out of position
  • A late running train in front of this one
  • A safety inspection of the track
  • A fault in a signalling system
Are there any others? Clearly it wasn't Sheffield's day! Despite the ongoing problems I knuckled down in an attempt to boost my rather lacking collection of winners.
image.jpeg
Units, units, units: passengers wait on Platform 4B while a 158 arrives at 3A

Sheffield
AXC 43207 43378 220005 220006 220021 220023 220029 221134
EMT 158780 158799 158847 158858 222001 222002 222010 222022 222023
NOR 142013 142014 144052 142062 142070 144094
NOR 144006 144007 144009 144011 144013 144016
NOR 150106 150150
NOR 153303 153328
NOR 156428
NOR 158792 158796 158842 158845 158848 158860 158901 158904 158906 158909
TPE 185104 185121 185149 185151

Two more winners at last, but only two. Northern Pacers down to three, and Northern 156s below 20 at last. I had hoped for better, but expected no more than I got. And so that was that - with delays not reducing and a concern they may spread to EMT in my mind, after an hour and a half at 18:00 I decided I'd had enough and boarded Meridian 222023 for the trip home. The reservation system wasn't working which resulted in a bout of musical chairs for some, but everyone got a seat eventually.

Fourty five minutes later I was back at Long Eaton at the end of an interesting and enjoyable day. All three objectives achieved, a major incident narrowly avoided, but only three winners in the book. Sheffield really isn't the place for me anymore, so it's doubly frustrating that I still have trams outstanding. I'll have to go back at some time, but I'm in no rush. I hope the two-year tram-train trial is a success, and I'm sure many more Railforums members will sample it in the coming weeks and months.

Day total (winners): 3

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
A good day in Sheffield to enjoy the new extension to Parkgate :)
Indeed it was a very enjoyable if relatively unproductive day.

By way of compensation and in an attempt to bag a few more numbers I nipped out again today. Would anyone care to guess where I've been before I put the report up? Here's a clue...
image.png image.jpeg image.png image.png

If not, all will be revealed later...

433N

Skymonster

Established Member
Bo

Barrow Hill Round House ... do I win anything ?

Haha, well done. Sadly no prize on this occasion, other than you have the smug satisfaction of being right - and that you are an ideal candidate to appear on the Catchphrase TV programme.

Skymonster

Established Member
Season 2, Episode 18: And now for something completely different (air date October 28, 2018)

Barrow Hill proudly proclaims itself as the last working roundhouse in the UK - a building with a turntable at its centre. The facility opened in 1870 and thrived in the steam era, supporting the extensive freight yards in nearby Staveley that were a focus for the bulk movement of minerals. In the 40s and 50s it was the base for as many as 75 locos, although this reduced to around 40 at the end of steam in the mid 1960s. The depot continued into the diesel era, becoming home to shunters and Class 20s, later Class 56s and eventually Class 58s used on merry-go-round coal workings between the mines and the power stations of Yorkshire and the East Midlands. With the drawdown of the 58s resulting from the reduction in coal consumption, Barrow Hill closed in 1991.

As a grade 2 listed building it could not be demolished, but it quickly became derelict and was finally bought by the council in 1996. It was subsequently acquired by the Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society and after a great deal of hard work that included replacing stolen track, restoring the building and roof, and clearing vegitation, it reopened in 1998. The site is now used by commercial railway firms including HNRail (Harry Needle Railroad Company) that specialises in the restoration, maintenance and leasing of Class 08 shunters, Class 20s and Class 37s. The Deltic Preservation Society also has a modern shed, from where it supports its fleet of three Class 55s as they venture out on the mainline and to preserved railways. The roundhouse itself became a centre for preservation, the 24 roads around the turntable enabling a wide variety of steam, diesel and electric locos to be cared for under cover. Meanwhile, outside the sidings provide plenty of room to store old stock, while a small platform is available to occasional charter trains. In mid-2016 a lottery grant of over £1m was awarded to support an upgrade, and the site closed to the public for the best part of 2017 while extensive refurbishment took place. A new entrance call and cafe were built that were in keeping with the older buildings, information displays were renewed and enhanced, and the roundhouse itself receive a much-needed spruce up.

I've always enjoyed visiting Barrow Hill as Staveley, just north of Chesterfield, is only about 40 minutes from home but I hadn't been since the rebuild was completed a year ago. Sunday was a bright and sunny day - if a tad breezy and cold - and with several locos I needed for sight having been reported as present I decided to strike before the winter really set in.

I was delighted to find that the work done last year had no major impact on the atmosphere of the place. The roundhouse continues to house a nice selection of locos - steam on one side, diesels and electrics on the other - while the new displays are informative and the cafe is a world apart from a woman peering through a hatch into a kitchen with a microwave and a kettle that came before. A collection of eight steam locos were immediately inside the door, while another sat on the track leading outside. On the opposite side of the turntable were Peak 45105 undergoing some much-needed restoration, newly painted Class 26 26007 with yellow wrap-around ends and grey sides, three electric locos including a Class 81, Class 83 and Class 85 - the AC Loco Group's Class 82 and 89 were also outside while their 84 is on loan and the 86 and 87 out earning their keep on the main line. In one corner Class 37372 was slowly being turned into D5910 under the auspices of the Baby Deltic Project - the group have plans to run it on heritage railways once it's complete. Also inside were several diesel shunters including a Class 07 and a Class 10, a set of newly refurbished bogies that looked like they were destined to sit under a Class 37, and several wagons. Although there have been barriers installed to stop the public falling into the turntable pit, the interior still very much has the feel of an old steam shed if you look one way, or a more modern diesel facility when you turn around.

Outside a wide array of stock can be seen. Half a dozen Class 08 shunters await their turn to be restored, alongside another Peak (45060), a Class 27, two 37s (188 and 207), electrics 82008 and 89001, and a row of five stored DRS Class 20s. Intermixed with these are industrial shunters, and several mainline Class 20s and 37s awaiting their turn in the workshops run by HNRail. The coal stage to the left of the main depot road provides an excellent elevated platform from which to photograph the items that are present.

The site is open to the public at weekends, 10:00 to 16:00, with admission set at a very reasonable £3.00. However the Deltic Preservation Society shed is only open on Saturdays. Barrow Hill Roundhouse is close to the M1 motorway and can also be reached by bus from Chesterfield station. I spent an excellent hour and a half mooching round before enjoying a nice warm drink and a quick and reasonably priced hot snack. Almost 60 locos noted, 14 mainline diesel winners plus a few other industrial locos - and the steam. I was glad I went back and will do it again.

Inside - steam
Class 11F: 506 'Butler Henderson' - Great Central, green
Class 1000:2 1000 - Midland Railway, maroon
Class 1377: 41708 - British Rail, black
Class J17: 8217 - LNER, black
Large Prairie: 5164 - Great Western, black
Manning Wardle: 1795 'EB Wilson' - maroon (MW1795)
Peckett: 2000 - lined green
0-4-0 Saddle Tank: 3272 'Vulcan' - black (VF3272)
0-4-0 Saddle Tank: 2491 'Henry' - black (HL2491)
image.jpeg
Great Central, LMS and LNER steam locos shelter in the roundhouse.

Inside - diesel
Drewry 0-4-0: 12859 'Harry' - blue
02003 - BR, green
D2868 (class 02) - green
07012 - BR, blue
D4092 (Class 10) - BR, green
26007 - BR, grey / yellow ends
D5910 (formerly 37372) - Baby Deltic project
45105 - BR, blue

Inside - electric
81002 - BR, blue
85006 - BR, blue
E3035 (83012) - BR, electric blue
image.jpeg
Classes 85, 81, 83 and 26 nestle around the turntable - something for Mr @The_Train perhaps?
image.jpeg
D5910 (previously 37372) on its way to becoming a replica Baby Deltic / Class 23.

Outside - diesel / electric
03066 - BR blue
08428 - EWS, maroon
08765 - HNR, orange
08782 - Corus, grey
08786 - DCE grey
08824 / IEMD01 - black
08877 / Wigan 1 - DCE grey
08879 - EWS, maroon
09106 / 6 - HNR, orange
20121 - HNR, orange
20301 - DRS, blue
20304 - DRS, blue
20308 - DRS, blue
20309 - DRS, blue
20312 - DRS, blue
20314(?) - HNR, orange
27066 - BR, blue
37025 'Inverness TMD' - Colas, large logo blue
37188 - Colas, mostly primer
37207 - BR, blue
37418 - BR, large logo blue
37421 - Colas, orange / yellow
D6757 (37057) - Colas, green
45060 'Sherwood Forrester' - BR blue
45118 - BR blue
47769 - VT red
82008 - BR dark grey / red stripe / yellow ends
89001 - BR dark grey / red stripe
image.jpeg
Classes 03, 08, 20, 26, and 37 outside the shed.

image.jpeg
82008 is fading outside - to the right is 45060 'Sherwood Forrester' while to the left is 37188, part way through a restoration for Colas Rail.

image.jpeg
Class 08s owned by HNRail in storage - in the foreground is 08765 which had 08657 (which was scrapped long ago) written on sheet of paper inside the cab!

Outside - industrial diesels
GEC 0-6-0 diesel shunter: 1 (5380) 'Kemira' - blue
Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel shunter: L127 (D1199) 'Bill' - yellow
Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel shunter: L149 (D1200) 'Ben' - yellow
Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel shunter: 9 'Coalite No.9' - yellow

Outside - EMU stock
Class 421: 1881 - blue
Class 423: 3918 - NSE white/yellow
image.jpeg
HNRail Class 09 09106 /6 and Colas Rail 37025 on the commercial side of the depot.

image.jpeg
Five DRS Choppers, plus 89001 and Colas Rail 37421 in one of the sidings.

So all in all not a bad afternoon out :)
Mainline locos: 14 winners
Industrial locos: 4 winners
EMU stock: 2 winners
Steam: 9 winners (although I don't usually record steam - I may change on that one)

And finally, especially for Mr. @47403: three PEAKs in one place and only one rather rancid-looking former Virgin Duff festering round the back of the depot - marvellous! :)

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
A couple of good outings there Mr Monster and some very good and informative write ups. Unlucky with the trams up norf but you certainly made up for your lack of winners there by visiting Barrow Hill. A guy I got speaking to at Stafford advised me to pay a visit (I think we'd got talking about 20s) and I won't lie I'd forgotten all about it. I may venture up there on Saturday as it won't take too long in the car and for £3 you can't grumble can you

Established Member
Barrow Hill is a great place to visit, thanks for the in-depth report.
I enjoyed your Tram-Train report very much.
Congratulations on seeing 315850 right at the end of its existence - I've lost count of the number of things I'll "get one day" only to find I've missed my opportunity.
What's your last one?

Skymonster

Established Member
I may venture up there on Saturday as it won't take too long in the car and for £3 you can't grumble can you
You should definitely try it sometime Mr. Train - nearly 60 locos are there for fairly easy pickings (if you count steam and industrial diesel shunters too), and a very interesting place to stroll around to boot. Plus the only place in the UK to see some of the electric classes these days.

Skymonster

Established Member
Barrow Hill is a great place to visit, thanks for the in-depth report.
I enjoyed your Tram-Train report very much.
Thank you for the kind words - it makes the time writing them worthwhile.

Congratulations on seeing 315850 right at the end of its existence - I've lost count of the number of things I'll "get one day" only to find I've missed my opportunity.
What's your last one?
Just checked and I was mistaken - I actually still need two! :( 315803 and 315815. I've seen reports that 315860 and 315861 were dragged to Kingsbury for scrap today and apparently there's a path from Wolverton to Newport (Sims Metals) for tomorrow, so they are starting to drop quickly now. I presume the arrival of the 345s has enabled the 315s to be put out to pasture?

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least both being London Overground operated means they won't be getting retired as soon as the TfL Rail ones, that assuming the introduction of the 710s goes well.

Easiest place to fester for those will probably be Bethnal Green, as that spot also gets you units (and locos if you need any of the GA 90s).

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Just finished reading through your thread, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Barrow Hill is well worth a visit, must go back myself some time (ideally when Mr Needle has finished fettling something, and gives it a quick test blast up and down the yard, with coaches attached for the desparate)... :)

Skymonster

Established Member
I hope you won't mind me indulging in a few more pictures from Barrow Hill...
image.jpeg
Peckett 2000 just inside the doors. It is operational and was in steam the previous day.

image.jpeg
Shunter 07012 receiving some attention.

image.jpeg
A pair of freshly refurbished bogies - with shunter 02003 in the background. The wheel sets on the right were also immaculate.

image.jpeg
27006 is in need of a bit of TLC.
To the rear is one of HNRail's bright orange 20s.

image.jpeg
A few more of Harry's clunkers.
08786 (to the right), IEMD01 (08824), 08782, 08428, Wigan1 (08877) and 08789.

image.jpeg
37188 will need more attention from Mr. Needle and crew before it returns to the mainline.

Skymonster

Established Member
Just finished reading through your thread, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank you.

Barrow Hill is well worth a visit, must go back myself some time (ideally when Mr Needle has finished fettling something, and gives it a quick test blast up and down the yard, with coaches attached for the desparate)... :)
Now now, you should know Harry (aka sulzerfixer on another forum) doesn't particularly relish doing things for railway enthusiasts... :(

Skymonster

Established Member
At least both being London Overground operated means they won't be getting retired as soon as the TfL Rail ones, that assuming the introduction of the 710s goes well.
I hadn't actually considered that - in fact if truth be known I hadn't really realised they'd been split up. I saw most of the fleet when they were with National Express East Angia (NXEA) and because I need only a few AGA EMUs (and no 90s) I haven't bothered going to Liverpool Street for maybe four years.
Easiest place to fester for those will probably be Bethnal Green, as that spot also gets you units (and locos if you need any of the GA 90s).
Thanks for the suggestion @Kite159 - I'm about due a London trip and have never been there.

Far north 37

Established Member
Season 2, Episode 18: And now for something completely different (air date October 28, 2018)

Barrow Hill proudly proclaims itself as the last working roundhouse in the UK - a building with a turntable at its centre. The facility opened in 1870 and thrived in the steam era, supporting the extensive freight yards in nearby Staveley that were a focus for the bulk movement of minerals. In the 40s and 50s it was the base for as many as 75 locos, although this reduced to around 40 at the end of steam in the mid 1960s. The depot continued into the diesel era, becoming home to shunters and Class 20s, later Class 56s and eventually Class 58s used on merry-go-round coal workings between the mines and the power stations of Yorkshire and the East Midlands. With the drawdown of the 58s resulting from the reduction in coal consumption, Barrow Hill closed in 1991.

As a grade 2 listed building it could not be demolished, but it quickly became derelict and was finally bought by the council in 1996. It was subsequently acquired by the Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society and after a great deal of hard work that included replacing stolen track, restoring the building and roof, and clearing vegitation, it reopened in 1998. The site is now used by commercial railway firms including HNRail (Harry Needle Railroad Company) that specialises in the restoration, maintenance and leasing of Class 08 shunters, Class 20s and Class 37s. The Deltic Preservation Society also has a modern shed, from where it supports its fleet of three Class 55s as they venture out on the mainline and to preserved railways. The roundhouse itself became a centre for preservation, the 24 roads around the turntable enabling a wide variety of steam, diesel and electric locos to be cared for under cover. Meanwhile, outside the sidings provide plenty of room to store old stock, while a small platform is available to occasional charter trains. In mid-2016 a lottery grant of over £1m was awarded to support an upgrade, and the site closed to the public for the best part of 2017 while extensive refurbishment took place. A new entrance call and cafe were built that were in keeping with the older buildings, information displays were renewed and enhanced, and the roundhouse itself receive a much-needed spruce up.

I've always enjoyed visiting Barrow Hill as Staveley, just north of Chesterfield, is only about 40 minutes from home but I hadn't been since the rebuild was completed a year ago. Sunday was a bright and sunny day - if a tad breezy and cold - and with several locos I needed for sight having been reported as present I decided to strike before the winter really set in.

I was delighted to find that the work done last year had no major impact on the atmosphere of the place. The roundhouse continues to house a nice selection of locos - steam on one side, diesels and electrics on the other - while the new displays are informative and the cafe is a world apart from a woman peering through a hatch into a kitchen with a microwave and a kettle that came before. A collection of eight steam locos were immediately inside the door, while another sat on the track leading outside. On the opposite side of the turntable were Peak 45105 undergoing some much-needed restoration, newly painted Class 26 26007 with yellow wrap-around ends and grey sides, three electric locos including a Class 81, Class 83 and Class 85 - the AC Loco Group's Class 82 and 89 were also outside while their 84 is on loan and the 86 and 87 out earning their keep on the main line. In one corner Class 37372 was slowly being turned into D5910 under the auspices of the Baby Deltic Project - the group have plans to run it on heritage railways once it's complete. Also inside were several diesel shunters including a Class 07 and a Class 10, a set of newly refurbished bogies that looked like they were destined to sit under a Class 37, and several wagons. Although there have been barriers installed to stop the public falling into the turntable pit, the interior still very much has the feel of an old steam shed if you look one way, or a more modern diesel facility when you turn around.

Outside a wide array of stock can be seen. Half a dozen Class 08 shunters await their turn to be restored, alongside another Peak (45060), a Class 27, two 37s (188 and 207), electrics 82008 and 89001, and a row of five stored DRS Class 20s. Intermixed with these are industrial shunters, and several mainline Class 20s and 37s awaiting their turn in the workshops run by HNRail. The coal stage to the left of the main depot road provides an excellent elevated platform from which to photograph the items that are present.

The site is open to the public at weekends, 10:00 to 16:00, with admission set at a very reasonable £3.00. However the Deltic Preservation Society shed is only open on Saturdays. Barrow Hill Roundhouse is close to the M1 motorway and can also be reached by bus from Chesterfield station. I spent an excellent hour and a half mooching round before enjoying a nice warm drink and a quick and reasonably priced hot snack. Almost 60 locos noted, 14 mainline diesel winners plus a few other industrial locos - and the steam. I was glad I went back and will do it again.

Inside - steam
Class 11F: 506 'Butler Henderson' - Great Central, green
Class 1000:2 1000 - Midland Railway, maroon
Class 1377: 41708 - British Rail, black
Class J17: 8217 - LNER, black
Large Prairie: 5164 - Great Western, black
Manning Wardle: 1795 'EB Wilson' - maroon (MW1795)
Peckett: 2000 - lined green
0-4-0 Saddle Tank: 3272 'Vulcan' - black (VF3272)
0-4-0 Saddle Tank: 2491 'Henry' - black (HL2491)
View attachment 54486
Great Central, LMS and LNER steam locos shelter in the roundhouse.

Inside - diesel
Drewry 0-4-0: 12859 'Harry' - blue
02003 - BR, green
D2868 (class 02) - green
07012 - BR, blue
D4092 (Class 10) - BR, green
26007 - BR, grey / yellow ends
D5910 (formerly 37372) - Baby Deltic project
45105 - BR, blue

Inside - electric
81002 - BR, blue
85006 - BR, blue
E3035 (83012) - BR, electric blue
View attachment 54488
Classes 85, 81, 83 and 26 nestle around the turntable - something for Mr @The_Train perhaps?
View attachment 54490
D5910 (previously 37372) on its way to becoming a replica Baby Deltic / Class 23.

Outside - diesel / electric
03066 - BR blue
08428 - EWS, maroon
08765 - HNR, orange
08782 - Corus, grey
08786 - DCE grey
08824 / IEMD01 - black
08877 / Wigan 1 - DCE grey
08879 - EWS, maroon
09106 / 6 - HNR, orange
20121 - HNR, orange
20301 - DRS, blue
20304 - DRS, blue
20308 - DRS, blue
20309 - DRS, blue
20312 - DRS, blue
20314(?) - HNR, orange
27066 - BR, blue
37025 'Inverness TMD' - Colas, large logo blue
37188 - Colas, mostly primer
37207 - BR, blue
37418 - BR, large logo blue
37421 - Colas, orange / yellow
D6757 (37057) - Colas, green
45060 'Sherwood Forrester' - BR blue
45118 - BR blue
47769 - VT red
82008 - BR dark grey / red stripe / yellow ends
89001 - BR dark grey / red stripe
View attachment 54491
Classes 03, 08, 20, 26, and 37 outside the shed.

View attachment 54492
82008 is fading outside - to the right is 45060 'Sherwood Forrester' while to the left is 37188, part way through a restoration for Colas Rail.

View attachment 54494
Class 08s owned by HNRail in storage - in the foreground is 08765 which had 08657 (which was scrapped long ago) written on sheet of paper inside the cab!

Outside - industrial diesels
GEC 0-6-0 diesel shunter: 1 (5380) 'Kemira' - blue
Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel shunter: L127 (D1199) 'Bill' - yellow
Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel shunter: L149 (D1200) 'Ben' - yellow
Thomas Hill 0-6-0 diesel shunter: 9 'Coalite No.9' - yellow

Outside - EMU stock
Class 421: 1881 - blue
Class 423: 3918 - NSE white/yellow
View attachment 54495
HNRail Class 09 09106 /6 and Colas Rail 37025 on the commercial side of the depot.

View attachment 54496
Five DRS Choppers, plus 89001 and Colas Rail 37421 in one of the sidings.

So all in all not a bad afternoon out :)
Mainline locos: 14 winners
Industrial locos: 4 winners
EMU stock: 2 winners
Steam: 9 winners (although I don't usually record steam - I may change on that one)

And finally, especially for Mr. @47403: three PEAKs in one place and only one rather rancid-looking former Virgin Duff festering round the back of the depot - marvellous! :)
Great day out looks well worth a trip i havent got any of the AL1-5 locos in the book well what’s left of them be nice to see a few.

Established Member
Regarding those London Overground 315s; if you spend a bit of time at Bethnal Green and don't see the ones you need there are usually one or two stabled between the peaks at Chingford.

I believe 37188 and 37207 are up for sale after Colas pulled the plug on their repairs.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Regarding those London Overground 315s; if you spend a bit of time at Bethnal Green and don't see the ones you need there are usually one or two stabled between the peaks at Chingford.

I believe 37188 and 37207 are up for sale after Colas pulled the plug on their repairs.

And I think there is normally a pair which gets stabled at Enfield Town during the day

Skymonster

Established Member
I believe they are on Harry's books but yes, for sale after Colas decided they weren't needed.
And I think there is normally a pair which gets stabled at Enfield Town during the day
Good info on the 315s guys, thanks - next time I'm in London maybe...

Skymonster

Established Member
Season 2, Episode 19: Brief encounters (air date November 2, 2018)

Well it's been a funny old week in @Skymonster-land - a planned non-railway week that in the end turned up a few more winners than were expected.

Monday
Things started out on a good footing when the usual Leicester LIP - Old Dalby - Crewe CS - Leicester LIP STP working popped up on RTT. Although it didn't work last week (despite being activated), after waking up I was pleased to see something had moved from Leicester just before 06:00, a surefire indication that the transfer was on. The Sheet Stores Junction - Stenson Junction (bypassing Derby) is only five minutes away for me, so I darted out for an early lunch to catch Europhoenix / ROG 37611 hauling brand new CrossRail unit 345052 west towards an appointment with @The_Train. That was enough for me and the remainder of the day was decidedly as planned - non-railway.

Tuesday
However, early the next morning morning some information popped up suggesting there were double-headed Sheds on the first of the two daily Leeds - Southampton Freightliners, and one of only three I needed for sight was in the consist. Same place, same packdrill although somewhat earlier (soon after 09:00) and dud 66542 leading winner 66568 soon hoved into view hauling a long rake of loaded container flats. Again the rest of the day was dedicated to other things.

Wednesday
I decided to head over to Willington to see a Network Rail test train working from Tonbridge to Derby RTC that was showing active on RTT, hoping it would be a brace of 73s - ideally the un-refurbished ones that occasional venture this way, as there are still one or two I need for sight. The working had reached Nuneaton and then appeared to have stopped dead in its tracks, but wasn't showing on OpenTrainTimes / Traksy. While I was trying to work out what had happened, Freightliner dud 70015 passed through on the afternoon Leeds - Southampton, its first working since returning to service having spent several weeks (months?) at Midland Road. I then noticed a working down the Midland Mainline - the format of its scrambled headcode was almost identical to (but not the same as) the test train I'd been watching out for, so I began to wonder whether it had been rerouted from Nuneaton up to Leicester and thence along the MML to Derby. With nothing happening at Willington I decided on a quick sprint to Spondon, arriving at just as the barriers came down leaving me in the first car waiting at the level crossing.

In the following five minutes duds EMT 153379 and 153381 passed through on a Newark - Matlock, followed by dud AXC 170109 on a Nottingham - Cardiff and then two EMT 222s on Derby - London St Pancras and vice versa. Just as I was beginning to wonder whether the road traffic would ever get a chance, Colas 37254 rumbled past with what was undoubtedly the Tonbridge job. Sadly no 73s, so the hour or so I'd been out and about turned into a bust.
image.jpeg
Freightliner 70015 in its first day out after a period of storage

Thursday
It was, as planned, a non-railway day but during the afternoon the WNXX news page revealed that Captrain 6601 would be hauled back to Hull from Longport (just north of Stoke on Trent) on Friday afternoon, for onward sea transport to mainland Europe. The Belgian Shed had been in the UK since August for repairs, and had been allocated the indentity 66999 for rail movement in the UK. And while its inbound journey to Stoke had been via a northerly route, RTT revealed the return was to pass through... Derby. Hurrah!

Friday
The day dawned bright and sunny. I managed to get done what I had to do by lunchtime and decided to nip over to Toton first, spurred on by a report that one of only four DBC 66s I need for sight had been noted outside the depot the previous day. Indeed winner 66041 was in the line waiting for attention in the workshops along with blue 67002, and there were several other examples of both breeds to be noted all of which were duds. My visit was notable (to me at least) for being the first in a long time there were no active 60s - from a current fleet of 20 that work for DBC - on the depot roads. And I couldn't be bothered to log all the stored locos as none had moved since my last visit:

COL 67023 67027
DBC 66004 66027 66049 66107 66124 66138 66145 66167 66194
DBC 67002 67015 67019 67030

The two Colas 67s were looking extremely grubby having spent the last month away from their normal test train work and instead doing RHTTs on the Midland Mainline from the East Midlands to Hampstead; they are rarely at Toton in the middle of the day but their trip had been curtailed at Leicester and they had returned to base. They are regular at Derby RTC and were thus sadly duds for me.

On the south sidings was dud GBR 66 F231 (actually 66775), while the through lines had several moves while I roamed the bank. First up was dud GBR 66748 (the last GBRf Shed I made for sight - o now I've seen it twice in a couple of months having never caught it before) at the head of a long range of hoppers heading 4H03 from Bletchley to Peak Forest. Then a few moments later another GBRf pulled up at a signal on a southbound working. It was a while before my brain registered - ker-ching, 66733 was a winner, leaving me with only one GBRf Shed outstanding (66774). Next 66505 came through on the afternoon Leeds - Southampton, causing me a momentary heart-flutter when I first thought it was 506 which would have been one of my last three FLR Sheds... Sadly though, as they say, a miss is as good as a mile! Just before I left 66161 arrived from the north, hauling 66005, 66098 and 66154 - none any good, but there was a bit of novelty in seeing four coupled Sheds running light loco. Dud track machine DR75303 heading for Chesterfield concluded my thirty minutes on Toton Bank as in Stoke on Trent things appeared to be stirring.

RTT hadn't been very helpful as at 14:30 it appeared the move from Longport still hadn't left, despite being due off at 14:00. Then suddenly RTT reported it leaving 36 early, at 13:24 - don't you just hate it when that happens! There was still enough time to dive over to Derby as long as the traffic was cooperating, and actually things worked out well enough to enable me to have a quick glance at the RTC and Litchurch Lane on the way. There was nothing on RTC other than yellow coaches, while over the road the Bombardier works had several S-Stock tube trains and two Class 20s (one in blue GBRf colours, and another in grey / Railfreight red stripe livery)... I don't need any of Harry's Choppers for sight so with time pressing I decided to make sure I was in place for the move of the day.

I set up beside the line near Peartree and within a few moments NRL's bright-yellow [but dud] Sprinter 950001 passed by, slowing for its arrival into P4 at Derby where it would reverse into the RTC. The Euro-Shed move had lost some time in the North Stafford / Stenson junction area but was still running ahead of its path so next up was the move I'd been looking out for. Just three minutes after I parked up the unmistakable sound of a Tractor permeated the air and. Europhoenix / ROG 37611 (again) soon appeared hauling a very shiny Captrain Shed 6601 (66999) into the southern neck of Derby station. That almost brought to a close to a reasonable week given it was meant to be totally non-railway.

But as I started the short ride back home though, mulling the thought that getting the foreign 66 was a good result, I caught sight of a white and red unit on the left. The yards off Litchurch Lane are always littered with new units, and today was no exception. However, what was there was somewhat different to the recent past - normally its CrossRail 345s and London Overground 710s, but today it was a Abellio Greater Anglia Class 720xxx Aventra driving car nearest the fence. Sadly no unit or carriage number was evident, but it was nice to get a sight of something that will no doubt soon start to appear on hauls to Old Dalby and / or Norwich.
image.jpeg
Part of a brand new class 720 Aventra for Abellio Greater Anglia at Bombardier, Derby

The 710s (and maybe now, the 720s) don't carry unit external numbers in the Bombardier works so are effectively impossible to indentity, but the CrossRail 345s are marked, and just beyond 720xxx was 345057, a nice end to the week that enabled me to chalk up one more winner.

So the tally ended up being four 66s (now down to just seven in the UK - one GBRf, three Freightliner and three DBC), two 345s and an unidentified 720 - first sighting of the class. Six [seven] winners was definitely not too bad a result when I had started the week expecting zero.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 720s are the ones which are going to have horrible 3+2 high density seating, which might be good for peak times (although some folk will still prefer to stand than taking up the middle seat) but off-peak times won't be nice.

Skymonster

Established Member
The 720s are the ones which are going to have horrible 3+2 high density seating, which might be good for peak times (although some folk will still prefer to stand than taking up the middle seat) but off-peak times won't be nice.
So a 10-car 720 is going to be a real cattle-cart! :o I hadn't realised until now that 111 of the things have been ordered by AGA - 22 five-car and 89 ten-car. That'll keep Bombardier busy for a while.

Skymonster

Established Member
My question of the day is: do lights count for sight?

I was driving through Castle Donington just after dark this evening and saw somethng passing through on the line below the bridge - it obviously wasn't a long freight, so it was unusual because passenger workings are very rare on the freight line between Stenson Junction and Sheet Stores Junction, except during diversions. It also obviously wasn't something like a Voyager / Meridian / HST. But all I could really see for sure were the front whites and the red rear - otherwise there were no lights. Out of curiosity I checked RTT and found out it was an ECS move from Bristol SPM to Doncaster Works. Further investigation revealed it was 150207 returning to Northern after working for GWR.

So I do not have '207 for sight so far, one of only a few Northern 150s I do need - can I count it? :s

Status
Not open for further replies.