• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sleepers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeTheNoo

Why do the model Rail manufacturers in the main produce track with black sleepers? Why not brown or grey? It would certainly be more helpful! Paint sales would go down though! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNER 373

I've got some Peco Grey Concrete Sleepers, a couple of flexi track one's each measuring a metre in length, bought them in about 1995 for a quarry layout I had planned!

HawkeyeTheNoo

Thanks guys, I realised that there was a little brown and grey out there which is why I wrote "in the main". I was just wondering why the majority was made black when sleepers in the real world aren't black. Is black plastic cheaper to produce than brown or grey?

Established Member
Probably yes, plus Hornby have been making the same type of track for years so no point changing it now. Have a look at people who make their own track in EM and P4 gauge I think it is called, which is much more realistic.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have a look at the track on this guy's website:

http://www.p4newstreet.com/

Very realistic.

Trog

Established Member
New softwood sleepers treated with proper creosote were often black.
Fading to greys and browns as they aged.

EM2

Established Member
I would have said that *only* Hornby and Bachmann (and maybe Atlas?) produce black sleepers. As far as I know, Peco, Kato, Tillig, Fleischmann, Roco etc., etc., all produce them in either brown or grey or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.