• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Slovak Weekend (Illustrated Report)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Again, a rough html to forum code copy of what will be found on my website a bit more in-line! www.87015aewn.wordpress.com
Does anyone know a way to do it (from wordpress editor ideally) that doesn't fail to do the photos corectly on forum?

Hopefully those of you who don't sign Slovakia or foreign muck in general can enjoy the photos and general jist of it!

Only a Friday to Sunday outing this. Flew with Wizz to Brno and the pilot being a merchant meant I made the lunchtime EC to Bratislava. One goulash and dark Kozel later, 380015 deposited me at Bratislava where I wa basically setting up the drckchari for the afternoon rush hour. The plan was to cover the various afternoon trains booked for ZSSK's finest electrics the venerable 240s which are slowly but surely losing work and on paper have little off-peak work around Bratislava. I'd barely sat down when winner 240100 rolled in vice 362 on an inbound from Banska Bystrica. With the oubound Banksa also in the hands of a <em>Laminátka </em> it was looking good as these were 362 diagrams. Picked up 240046 on a peak Nove Zamky and then a winning 361 whilst waiting for 240100 to go back - thankfully this survived the Bratislava whirpool and was taken out for a run to intercept the next inbound which also produced a 240 vice 362.

zssk-240100-brat.jpg

A welcome development was the use of these old girls on most of the Bratislava-Zvolen route services rather than the booked 362 "box". Not long after I'd arrived 240100 arrived into Bratislava on 1359 arrival from Banksa Bystrica. This was a winner, so a nervy two hour wait to hope it went back out on the 1601...it did![/caption]

zssk_240046-brat.jpg

240046 shows the classes interesting body lines well as it sits prior to working the 1501 Nove Zamky[/caption]

I had a transit move to Prievidza on the 1839 off Bratislava which meant I could cover just one more 240 turn, and was aghast to see required 240036 on the train but dead inside a poxy 263. Not content with bowling me out for 242s around Brno the Slovak ones were now getting in on the act too! Slightly miffed I at least had 240068 vice 363 to Leopoldov for a new goggle in 757015 up to Prievidza by which time I was in need of an early night.

Saturday was the main event - a <a href="https://www.464001.sk/" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Prievidzský Parostrojný spolok</a> charter from Prievidza to Vrutky that I'd seen advertised on the main nostalgia poster on my last visit. I'd been in contact by email and they ahd advised the outward would actually be steam hauled but I was welcome to travel on the "fire train" with 751131, so I was a little unsure what to expect as I rocked up at a cloudless Prievidza on Saturday morning. What I wasn't expecting was big and orange 749248! However this was shut down on a water tank and noises from elsewhere suggested '131 wasn't far away and sure enough it soon backed on two real ZSSK compo coaches. After eventually finding the right organiser and told to make myself at home I took the front compo behind '248 for a loud climb up to Horna Stubna with the water tank and dead loco adding decent weight. After reversal at Horna Stubna 751131 duly entered the book - thankfully no fireman sam stops were required!

zssk_pps_751131_prievidza.jpg

This was what I'd turned out for! 751131 had been advertised on a PPS charter from Prievidza to Vrutky, which then turned into a kettle with the 751 on the fire train. Fair play to the organisers who were more than happy to seat me on it - I was pretty glad when two coaches were attached to the tank wagon! - and 749248 was put on the front for a loud ascent to Horna Stubna[/caption]

zssk-cd-ssa-749248-handlova.jpg

Said 749248 is seen here pausing at Handlova during a pathing stop[/caption]

zssk-754069-hornastubna.jpg

It was all action at Horna Stubna, we arrived as the kettle was running round and, 754069 is seen awaiting time on the 1017 Prievidza (hauled on weekends) and there was even a few Cargo 736s shunting some wagons (with logs on, obviously)[/caption]

zssk-cd-ssa-749246.jpg

749246 looking good on display at Vrutky. Still a winner this, one to keep an eye on![/caption]

zssk-771093-vrutky.jpg

The open day had a good selection of diesel and electric power on display, here 771093 and 140047 are seen with a ZOS 742 behind.[/caption]

[url]https://87015aewn.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/zssk-751131-vrutky.jpg[/url][IMG]
751131 at Vrutky Museum having formed up the return charter which it worked throughout back to Prievidza[/caption]

There was around four hours at the open day, which had a decent selection of diesel and electric power positioned for photos if you had more patience than me to wait for people to get out the way. After a fill in electric move to Zilina for a beer I also scooped juicy double electric 131041/131042 pushing a PW trolley up and down a siding with lots of normals - desperate indeed! 751131 worked throughout solo on load six, the sustained climb to Horna Stubna from a standing start at Turcianksa Teplice was slow and loud, just the way it should be!! Connected into the afternoon R train back to Bratislava with double duds in 757019 and 361102 - with hindsight I probably should have leapt for a 736 we crossed on a vice DMU turn but didn't fancy the late finish and unit miles this would have meant!

[IMG]https://87015aewn.files.wordpress.com/2017/06/zssk-240022-sala.jpg
240022 in its unique livery pauses at Sa'a on the 0801 Bratislava - Banksa Bystrica[/caption]

zssk-751203-devinska.jpg

Same place as usual for 751203, parked at Devinska Nova Vez between banking duties. This one could do with going through works and having its pesky silencer removed![/caption]

Sunday isn't the most productive day around Bratislava so I headed out for some 240 miles to Sa'la on more Banska Bytsrica R trains that were 240 vice 362, 022 out for 098 back. Took advantage of a winning 'Tony' in 2016 021 on the 1038 Wien before setting up for a few photos awaiting the EC to Brno where I was again taking advantage of cheaper flights.

zssk-350012-brat.jpg

Gorilla 350012 and a rake of aircons look smart as they rollout of Bratislava with the 1155 Kosice. They didn't hold this for a late running EC...[/caption]

cd_380006-bratislava.jpg

...which was 380006 seen here departing Bratislava via the trainspotting platform for Budapest[/caption]

zssk-240098-brat.jpg

Shortly followed by 240098 on the 1201 Banksa Bystrica. All aircons at the front of this one which if they were working properly could be welcome in the heat.[/caption]

csd-748537-748538-brnodolni.jpg

Due to yet more engineering work around Brno, all north to south through services are going via the avoider all summer calling at Brno Dolni vice the Hlavni. Parked up were two FAUR LDH125s, ex CSD 748537 / 538 if the numbers are to be believed. I'd actually planned to get one of the Breclav locals that still run in (and terminate) at Brno Hlavni, but my 242 leap was thwarted by a poxy 263 being on the front of the train so I flagged it![/caption]

cd-obb-1216235-brnodolni.jpg

1216 235 shoves away from Brno Dolni with the 1025 Graz to Praha. I'm not convinced the use of Dolni is going to work very well, there isn't exactly much there and a very small waiting area for two narrow platforms (and a foot crossing of the lines) seems like a bit of a recipe for chaos![/caption]

Status
Not open for further replies.