• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Small Ferries compared to Larger Ferries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citybreak1

I took a ride across Amsterdam to the other site on the small ferry. How would this compare to say a crossing to Ireland? Just curious as I don’t like boats much but managed a short crossing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Ferries from Liverpool to Dublin or Belfast take 8 hours, it takes 3 hours from Holyhead to Dublin or Stranraer to Belfast I think.
But there are hovercrafts which are fantastic, faster smoother crossings, use one if you can find one.

Remember that the larger the ship, the less of the seasickening motion you'd feel.

stuu

Established Member
Weather is key really. Last week I did Newhaven to Dieppe and there was scarcely a ripple in the Channel, you would barely notice you were on a boat. I have also crossed the channel when it is not far off like a fairground ride on board; that would be worse in a smaller boat but still pretty awful if you suffer from seasickness

75A

Established Member
Cairnryan (replaced Stranraer years ago) takes 2 hours to Larne or Belfast. P&O go to Larne, Stena to Belfast.
Done it 6 times this year and every trip has been smooth.
2 OAP's and a car costs over £300 return.

Snow1964

Established Member
It's not so much the size of the ferry, but wind (and thus wave height) although bigger ships physically don't pitch as much. Irish Sea tends to get more windy weather than the southern North Sea

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Most ferries these days are large "cruise ferries" with all modern stabilisation features.
Ferries also regularly get cascaded between companies and routes, often being renamed in the process.
Mediterranean/Adriatic ferries are often ex-Scandinavian ferries.
Many new ferries are built in China/South Korea (eg Stena's new ferries).

My worst experiences for roughness have been Liverpool-Dublin (Irish Ferries) in a force 8, and the Dover-Calais hovercraft in its last years.
I was disappointed with a Sorrento-Amalfi fast ferry - you are stuck in the seat and the views through dirty plastic windows are non-existent.
You can't beat a traditional ferry with plenty of outside decking.
Best trips have been Stockholm-Turku through the archipelagos, and the Arran and Rothesay ferries on the Clyde.
Villa San Giovanni-Messina (Sicily) is I think the only train ferry left in Europe and an interesting experience - you have to leave the train once on board.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I took a ride across Amsterdam to the other site on the small ferry. How would this compare to say a crossing to Ireland? Just curious as I don’t like boats much but managed a short crossing.

If it's a calm day, you wouldn't even notice that you're on a ship on a large ferry. Smaller ferries are much more unstable in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.