• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Small steps in the right direction for Freight in North Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Trains have begun working from Pen Quarry again and track clearance at Llandudno Junction at a currently disused platform and tracks for freight to use whilst loading slate waste from Blaenau Ffestiniog. Lets hope this is the beginning of a resurgence. There used to be a lot of freight up and down the coast until the early 90s.

Freight trains return to North Wales rail line for first time in years after quarry upgrade - North Wales Live (dailypost.co.uk)

Freight trains return to North Wales rail line for first time in years after quarry upgrade
A train carrying hundreds of tons of stone recently travelled from North Wales to Liverpool

Freight trains have returned to the North Wales main line after a quarry company invested £300,000 in upgrading their loading facilities.

A train ran from Penmaenmawr to Liverpool carrying hundreds of tons of stone just before Christmas.

It was the first train from the railhead since 2012 and the first freight train on the coast line since trains carrying nuclear flasks from Wylfa power station ceased in 2019.

The upgrading work has been carried out as part of Hanson Aggregates’ rail strategy to reduce vehicle movements and cut associated CO2 emissions.

Hanson have invested approximately £300,000 to repair, renew, and refurbish the facility.

This includes upgrades to the railhead conveyor that was last used in 2012, before which the rail link was used on a regular basis to supply ballast to Network Rail.

The first train, operated by GB Railfreight, consisted of 23 wagons which are capable of carrying up to 80 tons of material with each service capable of carrying the equivalent of 110 lorry loads.

After shunting the train into the sidings and positioning the wagons under the loading hopper the train later transported stone from Penmaenmawr to Hanson’s Tuebrook depot in Liverpool.

Aggregates regional director Becky Murphy said it was a trial to test equipment and uncover any operational or logistical issues in the supply chain within the quarry and to the railhead.

She said the aim was to load one train per week to deliver rail-borne aggregates into markets in the north-west of England.

The volume of material transported in each load will be dependent upon its destination and the capacity of the network.

Ms Murphy added: "The reopening of our Penmaenmawr railhead is the first step towards re-establishing the long-term economic viability of the quarry, which also underpins the supply of asphalt and concrete products and so supports a number of local jobs both directly and indirectly."

Meanwhile at Llandudno Junction vegetation has been cleared from sidings behind platform four at the station.

The clearance work has been carried out to prepare the area for a loading point where waste material from slate quarries at Blaenau Ffestiniog and Bethesda will be loaded.

Trains from the sidings would then be transported to cement works in Derbyshire for processing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
Great news..!

As long as it doesn’t get in the way of passenger trains..

Oxfordblues

Breedon Group have announced that the slate waste traffic from Glan Conwy Freight Depot could build up to "9 trains per week" so it's a substantial flow. Most material will come from Penrhyn Quarry (Bethesda) but there's a suggestion that some could be sourced from Pen-yr-Orsedd (Duffryn Nantlle), Cwt-y-Bugail (Manod) and/or Oakeley Quarry (Blaenau Ffestiniog) where an extension to the workings has been applied for. But I understand that only "clean" slate will be suitable for cement production, which would exclude recovery of the old tips surrounding Blaenau and elsewhere.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Breedon Group have announced that the slate waste traffic from Glan Conwy Freight Depot could build up to "9 trains per week" so it's a substantial flow. Most material will come from Penrhyn Quarry (Bethesda) but there's a suggestion that some could be sourced from Pen-yr-Orsedd (Duffryn Nantlle), Cwt-y-Bugail (Manod) and/or Oakeley Quarry (Blaenau Ffestiniog) where an extension to the workings has been applied for. But I understand that only "clean" slate will be suitable for cement production, which would exclude recovery of the old tips surrounding Blaenau and elsewhere.
Fantastic news.

Domeyhead

I believe crushed slate waste is now used as an alternative feedstock for scalpings - if so this gives a huge potential to send it all over the country and duplicate many existing aggregate flows.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I doubt it would come from Glan conwy freight depot as it is no longer there it has a container storage business using it. I hear they are to clear the old sidings behind platform 4 at Llandudno Junction bringing them back into use for stabling etc. It would like the good old days! I used to sit as a child watching all the shunting going on near the 6g sheds.

fishwomp

Wish this forum had a thumbs up button. This is fantastic news for the railway. How I would love it to develop to bringing freight down the Conwy valley, a loading bay on the old trackbed to Trawsfynydd, or for export down to Porthmadoc, but we'll take this very good news for now!

D821

How I would love it to develop to bringing freight down the Conwy valley, a loading bay on the old trackbed to Trawsfynydd, or for export down to Porthmadoc, but we'll take this very good news for now!
Slightly off topic, but what is going on with those lines? Wasn't a heritage railway planning on clearing them or am I remembering it incorrectly?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Slightly off topic, but what is going on with those lines? Wasn't a heritage railway planning on clearing them or am I remembering it incorrectly?

I walk the Blaenau to Trawsfynydd line quite a lot , over the viaduct it's a lovely little walk. Track is all still in situ and not too overgrown.

unlevel42

The Prime Minister was at Penmaenmawr(Hanson Aggregate) quarry today and this photograph appeared in several newspapers-this one in the Evening Standard.

This video from the BBC is taken on the top of Penmaenmawr with y Gogarth(Great Orme) overhis left shoulder - from this video you can get a feel for how high it is.
It has been a quarry for thousands of years and with nearly all of the prehistory obliterated, there is no reason why it would not continue for hundreds more years.

The Prime Minister was allegedly heard to say to the driver:
"You know what happens to people who say 'Party' don't you?"

1643301662132.png

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
I doubt it would come from Glan conwy freight depot as it is no longer there it has a container storage business using it.

You can see the work underway below, I think the storage business has relocated?

Penmorfa

They were but they upset Network Rail by doing things they should'nt have. Consequently they were ordered off the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.