• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smallest platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor7

I’m on holiday in Australia at the moment in New South Wales, and on my journeys got off the train at ZigZag station which is on the main railway network not a private line or narrow gauge etc. This must surely qualify as one of the smallest stations on a main rail network or does anyone know different?

Attachments

• IMG_4535.jpeg
    IMG_4535.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 548
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
There’s one in Scotland that’s not much bigger. Thought it was Altnabreac, but a quick Google to check spelling shows that’s not it! There is one that’s single platform and local door only. Fairly newish too.

Some digging shows it to be Conon Bridge!

RetroCrowe

Whilst Beauly is, I believe, officially the shortest platform at 15m, for some reason I find Gilfach Fargoed in South Wales "feels" shorter even though it's actually a metre longer than Beauly's platform.
Internationally, there is a station called Appalachian Trail in New York that has a platform that is roughly 5/6m, which I think might be the shortest standard-gauge mainline platform in the world, Zig Zag is 7m

Purple Train

Established Member
The nearby Beauly station's platform is the same.
I think Conon Bridge is longer than Beauly's by something inconsequential like three inches!

They're about 15 metres long though, and I think Zig Zag Halt looks shorter. I remember it featuring in "and finally..." in a Railway Modeller back issue around 10 years ago. Possibly January 2013, but don't quote me on that.

DelW

Established Member
The shortest I've ever used is Sugar Loaf halt, but IIRC that can just about fit both doors of a single 153, so it's probably 20m or so, well off the record.

I've been through it many times by train, but the only time I've seen a train stop there was when I stopped it to board.

DelW

Established Member
The shortest I've ever used is Sugar Loaf halt, but IIRC that can just about fit both doors of a single 153, so it's probably 20m or so, well off the record.
Just paced it out at 22 strides end to end, so I think 20m isn't far off.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The 'shortest' platforms must be those stations where you simply step down to the ballast. I think there are many of these overseas, and I am sure there are one or two on heritage narrow gauge lines in the UK.

Llandudno

Established Member
I wonder if we will ever see any 20-25m platforms built again as part of any new station openings?

Or do we have to spend £10m+ on a conventional length single platform as part of a new station opening.

As more and more modern units enter the network with SDO is there scope for more ‘experimental’ new stations in rural areas?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
No longer on the national GB network, but anyone know just how short the platform is at Damens station on the Keighley and Worth Valley heritage railway?

I’m on holiday in Australia at the moment in New South Wales, and on my journeys got off the train at ZigZag station which is on the main railway network not a private line or narrow gauge etc. This must surely qualify as one of the smallest stations on a main rail network or does anyone know different?

Off topic, but I love that the station name is displayed no less than 3 times in that tiny space - on the bench, the white sign and the orange sign!

NSE

Established Member
I wonder if we will ever see any 20-25m platforms built again as part of any new station openings?

Or do we have to spend £10m+ on a conventional length single platform as part of a new station opening.

As more and more modern units enter the network with SDO is there scope for more ‘experimental’ new stations in rural areas?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I think it’s unlikely. I imagine anything new would have to come with disability/accessibility stuff? The space for that could quite easily push designs up towards conventional lengths.

peterinsurrey

How about Darnick?

On the Parkes - Broken Hill Line, Far West New South Wales. Not much longer than one door

Condor7

The 'shortest' platforms must be those stations where you simply step down to the ballast. I think there are many of these overseas, and I am sure there are one or two on heritage narrow gauge lines in the UK.
If I was to be pedantic they are not really platforms are they, just stops or halts?

Off topic, but I love that the station name is displayed no less than 3 times in that tiny space - on the bench, the white sign and the orange sign!
Also if you look at the top left of the picture there is a green metal disc which is on a handle and as Zigzag is a request stop only, you have to hold that out when you see the train approaching. For some reason it gave me a real buzz to do it.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think it’s unlikely. I imagine anything new would have to come with disability/accessibility stuff? The space for that could quite easily push designs up towards conventional lengths.
Do Beauly and Conon Bridge not meet the accessibility requirements? I'd have thought the length wouldn't be an issue as long as the door used is the one that leads to the wheelchair space, and that step-free access to the platform needn't affect the usable length of the platform.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Also if you look at the top left of the picture there is a green metal disc which is on a handle and as Zigzag is a request stop only, you have to hold that out when you see the train approaching. For some reason it gave me a real buzz to do it.
Green for stop? What was the thinking behind that?

oldman

In Switzerland Aareschlucht Ost station was in a tunnel accessed by a door from outside which was opened when the train arrived, so you stepped straight onto the train over a minimal platform. This has recently been rebuilt. Images from a Google image search show outside view, and inside views before and after rebuilding.
1694502324210.jpeg1694502411937.jpeg1694502685421.jpeg

NSE

Established Member
Do Beauly and Conon Bridge not meet the accessibility requirements? I'd have thought the length wouldn't be an issue as long as the door used is the one that leads to the wheelchair space, and that step-free access to the platform needn't affect the usable length of the platform.
Oh I’m sure they must do. I just mean I wouldn’t be surprised if the addition of a ramp or a lift or something like that would extend platforms.

Gloster

Established Member
When I used Hornkullen, north of Kristinehamn in Sweden, about thirty years ago it was a wooden platform about 10’ long and 5’ wide with a single metal post on it as a marker. They seem to have extended it a bit and added a very basic shelter.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Oh I’m sure they must do. I just mean I wouldn’t be surprised if the addition of a ramp or a lift or something like that would extend platforms.
Ramps provided to get onto the platform are usually placed at the back of the platform rather than at the ends. Wasn't one of the reasons for getting rid of many platform end 'ramps' a feeling that they encouraged trespass because they had the appearance of a ramp designed for people to use?

Another tiny platform from overseas was Sankt Pankraz in OberÖsterreich, but a brief search suggests it hadn't been served for quite some time. No idea if it ever saw international services!

A further Google suggests it has been replaced by Hinterstoder station, which is in a larger settlement and ski resort (and one which I've actually visited). Recall seeing the old Sankt Pankraz "halt" from the nearby main road back in 1997 when I believe it was either still served or had only recently had stops withdrawn. Finding much out about it is tricky, not least because the parish of Sankt Pankraz stretches some distance along the valley.

Last edited:

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The Lakes on the North Warwickshire Line is the smallest I've been to, fits a little more than 1x 172 coach. Would imagine it's around 24m

birchesgreen

Established Member
The Lakes on the North Warwickshire Line is the smallest I've been to, fits a little more than 1x 172 coach. Would imagine it's around 24m
40m in fact!

I recall seeing once a now closed "platform" which looked about a metre or so. Its in one of my collection of Middleton Press books somewhere (got dozens of them though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.