• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Smallest platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
The 'shortest' platforms must be those stations where you simply step down to the ballast. I think there are many of these overseas, and I am sure there are one or two on heritage narrow gauge lines in the UK.
Like the whole of the Manx Electric Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bleeder4

There's a station called Beauly on the Far North line which struck me as being an extremely short platform, when I passed through that way recently. Loch Eil Outward Bound on the West Highland line, and Avoncliff Halt on the Heart of Wessex line are also two that come to mind.

cf111

Established Member
Do Beauly and Conon Bridge not meet the accessibility requirements? I'd have thought the length wouldn't be an issue as long as the door used is the one that leads to the wheelchair space, and that step-free access to the platform needn't affect the usable length of the platform.
They do. Always the rear door of the leading coach at Beauly and Conon Bridge.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They do. Always the rear door of the leading coach at Beauly and Conon Bridge.
Are units always oriented correctly? What happens if a unit is in reverse formation for whatever reason? And how does it work in the opposite direction? If the leading coach is the one with the accessible area heading northbound, wouldn't that be the trailing coach on the southbound return?

The Puddock

Are units always oriented correctly? What happens if a unit is in reverse formation for whatever reason? And how does it work in the opposite direction? If the leading coach is the one with the accessible area heading northbound, wouldn't that be the trailing coach on the southbound return?
The 15m platform is long enough that the inner doors on both coaches are platformed, so it doesn't matter which way round the unit is oriented.

McRhu

Ruthven Road Halt on the PAV&M Railway, which admittedly no longer qualifies as being on the national network (or any other network).

Rescars

Established Member
Am I correct that Down Street retained a very short platform (one cab door's width or thereabouts) after it had been converted into an air raid shelter in WW2?

Deepgreen

Established Member
The 'shortest' platforms must be those stations where you simply step down to the ballast. I think there are many of these overseas, and I am sure there are one or two on heritage narrow gauge lines in the UK.
Therefore there is no platform.

This is a spot I have visited quite often - Breakneck Ridge station on the Hudson Valley line from Grand Central to Poughkeepsie and on to Canada. Few trains stop there (by request normally) but it is served by normal service trains. The other platform is behind the train.28209103607_35a25023d1_k.jpg

Last edited:

Condor7

Therefore there is no platform.

This is a spot I have visited quite often - Breakneck Ridge station on the Hudson Valley line from Grand Central to Poughkeepsie and on to Canada. Few train stop there (by request normally) but it is served by normal service trains. The other platform is behind the train.View attachment 143110
That’s going to be hard to beat

DelW

Established Member
That’s going to be hard to beat
A similar candidate from rather closer to home, albeit not part of the system whose livery adorns the train ...

DSC00679.JPG

Last edited:

Rescars

Established Member
A feature of a number of light railways were the number of platform-less intermediate stopping points. AIUI the Campbelltown and Macrihanish became a steam worked passenger carrying railway, but with no platforms at all. Was this unique?

DJ_K666

Whilst Beauly is, I believe, officially the shortest platform at 15m, for some reason I find Gilfach Fargoed in South Wales "feels" shorter even though it's actually a metre longer than Beauly's platform.

Probably because it's got ramps on it. Not like these new fangled modern things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.