• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SMS/App notifications for disruptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

otter11

Hi all
I'm due to start a new commute into London soon, where I will likely take the same train each morning.

Rather than checking an app/website every morning, I was hoping to find an app/service which could send me a text or a notification if a) my specific train is late or cancelled or b) there is disruption on my route generally. Ideally it would then include a link to a relevant website with more information.

Also a similar thing sending me a notification if a specific London underground line is disrupted.

Any recommendations?

I know I can resort to just getting in the habit of checking, but that is prone to me forgetting and I could potentially check at 7am when everything is fine and by 7.10am something could have changed which I miss. Hence the desire for a notification.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Also a similar thing sending me a notification if a specific London underground line is disrupted.
Citymapper is particularly handy for Tube/TfL journeys, and push notifications are available if a line status changes.

avid2424

With respect, an app alert at 6am daily (and read once you are awake), is not much use when at 7am everything is fine and by 7.10am something has changed

I commute every day involving main line plus Elizabeth Line - and have been commuting for several decades

This morning all was running fine and I was on my specific regular train - and no indication on my favourite app/website that my Elizabeth Line train would suddenly need an extra 10 minutes (it could have been far worse), I think because of a track problem

And dear OP what can you do if you get a precise alert. You WANT an alert that will include automatically going direct to your alarm clock and then resetting your alarm clock to go off 30 minutes early - so you get the earlier train, and not be late to work. Or an alert that makes your alarm clock go off 30 minutes later, on the basis that there is no point being woken up and then finding you will get to the station 30 minutes before the next train

And much more complicated is that such an alert has to factor in main line plus tube/tfl etc, and include issues not currently in existence, but will crop up before you get to work

If you have to be awake before you can read any text or notification, then that cannot be the best method

Of course if you can get your PA or partner on the case, then you PA or partner can do an "alarm" telephone call to you, so wake you up at the correct minute

Indeed many times over the years, if only that alarm clock had tripped 30 minutes early to make sure I was on time and/or tripped 30 minutes later, as I am awake but I now have 30 minutes to kill, whilst another 30 minutes of sleep would have been brilliant

otter11

With respect, an app alert at 6am daily (and read once you are awake), is not much use when at 7am everything is fine and by 7.10am something has changed

I commute every day involving main line plus Elizabeth Line - and have been commuting for several decades

This morning all was running fine and I was on my specific regular train - and no indication on my favourite app/website that my Elizabeth Line train would suddenly need an extra 10 minutes (it could have been far worse), I think because of a track problem

And dear OP what can you do if you get a precise alert. You WANT an alert that will include automatically going direct to your alarm clock and then resetting your alarm clock to go off 30 minutes early - so you get the earlier train, and not be late to work. Or an alert that makes your alarm clock go off 30 minutes later, on the basis that there is no point being woken up and then finding you will get to the station 30 minutes before the next train

And much more complicated is that such an alert has to factor in main line plus tube/tfl etc, and include issues not currently in existence, but will crop up before you get to work

If you have to be awake before you can read any text or notification, then that cannot be the best method

Of course if you can get your PA or partner on the case, then you PA or partner can do an "alarm" telephone call to you, so wake you up at the correct minute

Indeed many times over the years, if only that alarm clock had tripped 30 minutes early to make sure I was on time and/or tripped 30 minutes later, as I am awake but I now have 30 minutes to kill, whilst another 30 minutes of sleep would have been brilliant
I agree that an app alert at 6am daily would not be useful. What I'm looking for is an app alert at the instant that my train is marked as delayed or cancelled.

I have a 15 min walk to my local station and several back up options for getting to work - if I get an alert while I'm walking it means I can then adjust my plans according or indeed just return home if things are very bad.

Appreciate no alert is ever going to be perfect but I'd prefer to have the information in the moment than relying on my doing a manual check.

[.n]

I use SWR JourneyCheck (sends emails) and also an app called Commuter train check

Robski_

My app, RailChecker, offers notifications for paying users (£1.99 per month) for changes to expected times, cancellations, platform alterations and actual arrival/departure times for a given service at any location you choose, as well as operator disruption notifications. These notifications can be set to be triggered on certain days of the week, or only on a specific day - more info here (under "In-app notifications"). London Underground isn't included yet.

As an advance warning, sometimes this can result in a constant stream of notifications, especially when the disruption is first reported and updates are being sent out every few minutes by train operators as more information becomes available, or where a delay keeps "bouncing" up and down. I'm working on some ways to moderate the frequency of notifications sent out/make it more personalised - at the moment, it is capped at one every two minutes.

avid2424

I am not certain that app would do it for the OP

As the OP said, the OP has a fifteen minute walk to the local station. If OP allows say 19 minutes for the walk that mostly means 4 wasted minutes hanging around at the station and on every day. Although better to spend one minute using an app and allow 18 minutes for the walk

What if the OP receives 3 alerts during the walk whilst crossing roads and reading and then decides they have no impact

And gets the fourth alert because everything is bouncing up and down Does the OP stop and read the alert and miss the train. Or does the OP continue to the station and catch the train at the last second and then read the alert on the train which says much better to work from home today

As said I have commuted for decades. I do check my favourite app between getting up and leaving home - I get up one minute early and if I find I am running one minute early it means I have forgotten to check the app. I also have a 15 minute walk to my local starting station. I do have some not so good alternatives. But if it is all good when I leave home I stay with my original plan. And further check the app on route. And 99% of the time that is the best choice

otter11

My app, RailChecker, offers notifications for paying users (£1.99 per month) for changes to expected times, cancellations, platform alterations and actual arrival/departure times for a given service at any location you choose, as well as operator disruption notifications. These notifications can be set to be triggered on certain days of the week, or only on a specific day - more info here (under "In-app notifications"). London Underground isn't included yet.

As an advance warning, sometimes this can result in a constant stream of notifications, especially when the disruption is first reported and updates are being sent out every few minutes by train operators as more information becomes available, or where a delay keeps "bouncing" up and down. I'm working on some ways to moderate the frequency of notifications sent out/make it more personalised - at the moment, it is capped at one every two minutes.
I think this app definitely looks like what I'm after but I'm afraid I'm not looking for something requiring monthly payments.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far

DMU180

On my last few journeys booked directly with Avanti I have received email notifications informing me of updates to my journey which seems to be a new thing as I have never received anything previously. One was sent around 12pm for a cancellation at 6pm and another was sent a few days before travelling, informing me that my train was now arriving in London 2 minutes later than when I booked it. Unsure if any other TOCs have something similar but I haven’t ever experienced anything.

pennine

I use the national rail jourcheck on WhatsApp. You can set your trains (and frequency of journey) and it will message you with platform info and journey alerts.

The number is +44 7480 782078

avid2424

My commutes of last Friday Monday and Wednesday were impacted by a cancellation of the first train of my commute. With hindsight I could have slept for another 20 minutes but of course my alarm clock awoke me at the regular time to catch what should be my normal train

Today my regular train at 20 minutes into its journey was running on time that is until 4 minutes before scheduled departure time from my station Train then became 4 minutes late which quickly became 7 minutes late. And then a very late platform change at my station made the train 10 minutes late. Guessing some slow running got my train 13 minutes late. The train then gets to a set of stations with easy timings and to no surprise the train is only 8 minutes late when I alight. I then find I am caught in a gap in Elizabeth Line trains, two late running at the wrong moment. What would be the next available connecting train was initially on time but then picked up a 10 minute delay before eventually turning up. An app picking all that up live and giving me the best alternative would be perfect. However I think I have done my best and I am only 20 minutes late and much better than being exactly the same 29 minutes late not 30 minutes late for three days out of my last four commutes

Silver Cobra

LNER's app will push notifications regarding any delays to any trains in your itinerary, regardless of operator, as well as which platform to head to for your train/s. This applies to journeys booked both through the app and the LNER website.

Somewhere

I agree that an app alert at 6am daily would not be useful. What I'm looking for is an app alert at the instant that my train is marked as delayed or cancelled.

I have a 15 min walk to my local station and several back up options for getting to work - if I get an alert while I'm walking it means I can then adjust my plans according or indeed just return home if things are very bad.

Appreciate no alert is ever going to be perfect but I'd prefer to have the information in the moment than relying on my doing a manual check.
Even Signallers and Controllers don't have this luxury. Unless they happen to be watching the relevant section of track and happen to notice a train hasn't moved

superkopite

The Southeastern app will allow you to set up alerts for any UK rail journey and will send you app notifications for any delays or cancellations right up to the scheduled departure of the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.