• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SNCF Thionville/Metz/Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

childwallblues

Established Member
I last visited this area in 1994 when loco hauled was in abundance and ther was a lot of freight passing through the area and in and out of Woippy Yard.
I am doing the trip again this year but starting from Schiphol Airport and using an InterRail pass down to Luxembourg. I am prepared for carts everywhere, a lack of loco hauled and a big reduction in freight but the trip will have its positives with staying and visiting Metz and its incredible German station.
On my last visit there was a Lorraine Day Pass which allowed unlimited travel within the area. Does such a pass still exist and if so can anybody provide details please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
There is a Saar Lor Lux ticket for 26 euro (extra person 10 euro extra; maximum 5 persons). In the weekend in Saarland, Lorraine and Luxembourg + Igel - Trier. In the DB machine and SNCF selling points. It is also valid for EC/IC trains between Saarbruecken to Metz/Nancy, but that are normally TGV/ICE trains. So that information i do not totally trust.

duesselmartin

Established Member
using the Saar-Lor-Lux, there is a direct Trier to Metz RE/TER running weekends only. It might be worth using before services dissapear forever.

paddington

using the Saar-Lor-Lux, there is a direct Trier to Metz RE/TER running weekends only. It might be worth using before services dissapear forever.

I'm planning to take this on 17 March. Has anyone tried to buy tickets to Trier at Thionville station?

MarcVD

Are you going through Belgium ? If yes I would suggest Schiphol To Brussels via the hourly IC train (NS rakes with locos top and tail) then IC train to Liège (I11 rakes with HLE 18 and DVT, 200 km/h running), and then loco hauled IC to Luxembourg going through somptuous landscapes and, if you are lucky, windows that can still open.

childwallblues

Established Member
What is the freight situation in the area these days? I saw a September 2017 video of reight trains which showed SNCF Class 27xxx, SNCB Class 13. CFL 15XX and DB Class 185 runnig through Woippy.

Freight wise, I would think there will still be some to see with ECR / SNCF Fret and I've seen a CFL 3000 on freight on occasion down there too.

Passenger wise I'm afraid your in for a disappointment. There is currently NO regular locomotive hauled passenger trains North of Nancy / South of Luxembourg since Summer 2016 when the InterCités de Nuit from Luxembourg to Portbou/Cerbère and Nice was canned.
Prior to that until April of that year you still had four EC trains -(two in each direction) to/from Brussel/Bâle, le Iris et Vauban, as well as the remnants of the EC Jean Monnet, then relegated to a TER200 train pair cut back to begin in Strasbourg in the morning, up to Luxembourg and back south to Bâle SNCF in the afternoon if memory serves, -(this train used to connect all three EU parliamentary cities Brussel, Luxembourg and Strasbourg, hence its namesake).
All of these trains in their later years produced BB 26000 "Sybics" and before that classic BB 15000 "Nez Cassé", which are now very much in their last days.

Sadly Lorraine is now a desert for real trains.. BUT...

If your still after classic loco hauled action then I'd suggest you head a little further south to Strasbourg during the weekday peak and there you wil be rewarded with; Sybics on TER200's to/from Bâle and Nancy, as well as the odd peak hour TER's that have been reinstated to run the full length of the old classic line to/from Paris Est -(well recommended for a taste of how things were pre TGV), the plan is for these to go over to push-pull TER200 stock when enough Sybics have been converted for push-pull operation, but in the meantime it's classic shunt release at both ends, complete with mix-match "all the colours of the rainbow" stock.. You also have the morning/evening peak additionals with BB 25500's and BB 67400's on RRR push-pull stock.
In addition to this on Friday, Saturday and Sundays you have the "InterCités 100% Eco" out and back train from Paris, again with classic stock, I believe this is now the one and only train to/from Alsace booked for a BB 15000.

Diagrams for all of the above can be found on the excellent ERG group which I very much recommend joining and post up what you seen.

Ticket wise for going bashing in Alsace, if your not already on a FIP coupon or an InterRail pass, then get your self a
ALSA + 24 heures for €36,90 .
It's available from any SNCF Gare at the billetterie or TVM.
It's valid on everything -(except TGV's and the IC 100% Eco's which are "Trains réservation obligatoire") in the whole Alsace région - (Départements Bas-Rhin/Haut-Rhin -also valid to Bâle SNCF, but NOT on local trams/buses in Basel).
Don't forget to "composter votre billet" in those yellow stamping machine's by the entrances to the platforms, the 24 hours validity begins when you stamp it.

Classic trains really are now in their dying days in France so now really is the time to get on over to seek out and enjoy them while you can before they all die out!

Hope this helps.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Nearby Luxembourg also has some loco hauled passenger services. Usually Bombardier Traxx. Occasionally the Brussels IC can be loco hauled but I have not discovered a system yet.

MarcVD

All trains between Luxembourg and Arlon are loco hauled now. Since CFL switched the catenary of Luxembourg Kleinbettingen from 3kV= to 25kV50Hz this summer, SNCB "danish nose" EMUs cannot reach Luxembourg any more. Only passenger coaches I6, I10 or I11, hauled by HLE13, can be used. HLE18 and Desiro EMUs are not yet certified by CFL. So there are either direct trains made of HLE13 and coaches between Brussels and Luxembourg, or trains formed by EMUs and limited to Arlon. CFL trains going to Arlon are loco hauled too, only CFL 3000s can tap the belgian 3kV.

childwallblues

Established Member
All trains between Luxembourg and Arlon are loco hauled now. Since CFL switched the catenary of Luxembourg Kleinbettingen from 3kV= to 25kV50Hz this summer, SNCB "danish nose" EMUs cannot reach Luxembourg any more. Only passenger coaches I6, I10 or I11, hauled by HLE13, can be used. HLE18 and Desiro EMUs are not yet certified by CFL. So there are either direct trains made of HLE13 and coaches between Brussels and Luxembourg, or trains formed by EMUs and limited to Arlon. CFL trains going to Arlon are loco hauled too, only CFL 3000s can tap the belgian 3kV.
Well that is good news.

Salut Marc!

That explains the recent change to the push-pull HLE13+I6/I10/I11 combo then, I guessed you would know about that! I also noticed that IC 2112 12:33 Brussel Zuid-Luxembourg -(replacement train for EC 97) no longer runs with the weird composition of HLE13+M6/I6 anymore on Sundays..

Anyway, no more AM96 "rubber rings" to Luxembourg! :D

Merci,
Kris. :smile:

MarcVD

Yes apparently the M6 coaches don't go to Luxembourg any more, but for those I don't know the exact reason. I'm investigating...

Status
Not open for further replies.