• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SNCF Timetable Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

skizz

Howdy,

Where can I view SNCF timetables? I'm trying to book a particular train in November that apparently runs every weekday in the year, and it isn't showing as an option. Other trains are bookable for this date.

The train in question is the 1041 Paris Gare de Lyon - Milan Porta Garibaldi service on Monday 23rd November.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
It's in the DB system for that date, although they can't do tickets. (presumably different booking engine to SNCF).
But it doesn't show up if you try loco2.com (presumably same booking engine as SNCF).
Try again later?

trivran

I don't know about timetables straight from SNCF but DB's website bahn.de is usually pretty good for showing which trains are when. It even has a couple of English language versions.

Whilst I'm here I'm going to pop in a cheeky SNCF question of my own - does anybody know what the deal with buying tickets on train is? At the moment my nearest (and given my lack of transport only accessible) station is Gallargues-le-Monteux which whilst having quite an amount of signage up including ticketing details, is sadly beyond the grasp of my French. That would be alright if it wasn't for a lack of billetteries.

thomson787

Loco2 book through Voyages-SNCF UK
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Howdy,

Where can I view SNCF timetables? I'm trying to book a particular train in November that apparently runs every weekday in the year, and it isn't showing as an option. Other trains are bookable for this date.

The train in question is the 1041 Paris Gare de Lyon - Milan Porta Garibaldi service on Monday 23rd November.

Thanks!

The train time is not confirmed until 3 months before departure, I Work for SNCF

stut

Established Member
I would say it's because it's an international train, but the night train to Italy seems to be taking bookings that day. Perhaps the night train is less time-sensitive?

As for tickets on board, trivran - yes, you can buy on board if there's no way to get a ticket on the station, but it's your responsibility to seek out the conductor 'dans les meilleurs délais' (at the soonest).

trivran

As for tickets on board, trivran - yes, you can buy on board if there's no way to get a ticket on the station, but it's your responsibility to seek out the conductor 'dans les meilleurs délais' (at the soonest).

Thank you!

Ianigsy

The mid-morning Paris-Milan TGV is also the one which doesn't serve Lyon- it's combined with a domestic TGV to Annecy as far as Chambery. Some interesting changes of scenery en route, but the Alps should be rather more fetching in September than when I took it a month ago!

Groningen

Established Member
Strange that that TGV does not end up in Milano Centrale. Without a special ticket the supplement and reservation seems to be high as compared with the TGV within France.

skizz

Thanks for the replies.

The three month rule seems like the reason however on voyages.sncf I can see both the night train and the 1441 afternoon departure are there for booking.

I can only see the night train on loco2.

I will continue to try, think the next step is to assume that it will go live three months ahead like thomson said!

newmilton

Howdy,

Thanks!

Curiously I am also trying to book the same train, though two weeks earlier, and had concluded it was the three month rule, since DB was showing it as running. Though that doesn't explain why the afternoon train is already showing up (I use Capitaine Train for my bookings).

dutchflyer

Established Member
In general SNCF will only show trains in whatever of its online systems IF its more as 100% confirmed it will run and on the times published. If there is the slightest hint that works/strikes/whatever may interrupt it for a few minutes, it will not show untill there is more definite data available. The feeble chance that a departure may be advanced with 2-3 minutes seems enough for them to keep any prospective customers away from buying-and possible refunding.
They are nearly finished now, but for those overnight trains it happened they showed up-were taken off-showed again and again taken off- untill 7-10 days before the day of running.
DB/hafas-as about any computersystem, will only show what some one has ever bothered to put in-there is nog magic hand that checks it.

skizz

Interestingly I sent SNCF a tweet and their response was to say it is the three month rule as tickets "generally" go on sale three months before departure and they are not all available this far in advance, which suggest some are (and resolves the query of why some are showing). Will look to rebook at the end of the month, good luck booking yours newmilton let me know how it goes!

newmilton

I shall actually be in France this time next week, when the tickets should go on sale - so it may just be a matter of strolling down to the station and buying them in person!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The tickets you want are now on sale. I bagged mine this morning at €45 each way in First Class (to Turin, not all the way to Milan).

TheKnightWho

Established Member
Curiously I am also trying to book the same train, though two weeks earlier, and had concluded it was the three month rule, since DB was showing it as running. Though that doesn't explain why the afternoon train is already showing up (I use Capitaine Train for my bookings).

Curiously I took the same train about 3 weeks ago to Turin! I managed to book it through SNCF's website around 3 months in advance.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
One minor downside to that eurail (and the corresponding interrail.eu site - same thing really), is that it gives times in the 4-digit plus AM/PM format, e.g. 04:30 PM for half past four in the afternoon. If you're used to the 24-hour clock for timetables, it would be easy to mistake that for some ungodly hour in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.