• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
A North London man came through his front door yesterday without mentioning the storm force winds, snow and ensuing chaos outside.

James Morris, 39, from North London had just walked through millimeters of snow that that brought chaos all over the country. His journey had involved dangers and diversions as police closed roads due to dangerous flakes. His clothes were soaked through due to the extreme weather conditions, and he had narrowly missed being hit by falling a snowball.

said Morris. ‘Not wanting to go straight to the weather as a conversation opener. So I told my wife the photocopier at work got jammed again today. Unfortunately she asked if this was somehow caused by the weather, so we were on to it pretty quickly…’

In parts of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset mentions of the weather hit an all-time record, while Portland in Dorset recorded a February high for ‘looking out of the window and tutting’. Elsewhere around the country millions of worried householders rang friends and family to ask what the weather was like where they were, quickly cutting off their anecdotes to suggest that it was even worse in their street. One man was treated for a cut finger after tapping his barometer so much he broke the glass, while at a guest house in Bournemouth, an American visitor claimed he was almost ‘bored to death’. The BBC News Website has asked amateur photographers not to risk their safety by taking pictures of enormous waves breaking over the sea wall, as they can easily use the photos from the last time and no one will know the difference.

Speaking for the government, John Prescott admitted that this snow was bad, but claimed that it was not as bad as the hurricane experienced under the last Conservative government. Insurance companies estimate the cost of the snow damage will be a very, very high-sounding figure that someone will make up later in the day.

By nightfall, millions of Britons were safely inside their homes watching reports of the weather on the news. Rather than switching channels, most viewers stayed on to watch the ensuing weather report. ‘It was very snowy today…’ the weather man reported. Despite the widespread snowing, the hosepipe ban remains in force for the time being.

:lol: Excellent

Jim

Established Member
It is pathetic, why does the country grind to a halt because of a dusting of snow, fine Wales & Scotland would have it more than us, but look at the guys from Canada, they don't shut school every time they have a CM or 2 of snow

richa2002

Established Member
All you people from the south west are just moody because you didn't get any!

Coxster

Established Member
Snow + third rail = multiple cock-ups. Anyway, by the time I thought to take pics it had started to go, but...

On the snowman "thing", I had to use whatever I could find. Eyes are screws, mouth is a couple of nails and the nose is the middle of a floppy disc that was (rather peculiarly) in the garden. Also for effect I used our old wreath as a decoration. As you can see, I spent my time constructivly!

Photo_Snow_2007_02_08th.jpg

Nathan

All you people from the south west are just moody because you didn't get any!

I would disagree. It was a very pleasent start to the day, clear sunny skys all around and a normal working day for all on the south coast. No major distuptions on public transport which means everyone got to school. I like work ;)

Ascot

Established Member
HAHA :D

Birmingham had about 1 inch of snow, all schools shut and again tomorrow
:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

And places with LOADS of snow are still open, God i love Birmingham Government for once in my life.

omega3

Had no snow in Felixstowe.
But then tc texted saying my school was closed.
So I went to London.

:D

xX

Snow where i live i had to clear it up at work some of the others made a snowman outside the main gate. i settled for a snowball fight with transport

Respite

Just a few inches around home & very varied around my rail area today. I was on afternoons so missed most of the snow covered roads to work although it was a challenge getting up the slope to the depot carpark.:roll:
Worked Salop chester then Chester to Cardiff service today & had a 158 & then a 175 so as it snowed all the time I was running 10mph slower than normal & having to do running brake tests every 3-5 minutes (10mph drop) as these units having disc brakes are restricted in falling or disturbed snow (Would of been quicker with a 150 & its tread brakes).
Anyway had a road learner with me on the way back from chester so got him to take a couple of pics with my phone as I thought it looked very nice.
All taken on the single line section between Chester & wrexham.
DSC00528.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

No problems noticed anyway & arrived everywhere right time. :)

Ascot

Established Member
Arriva on time??? :lol:

Well today my school is shut, hardly any ice, and i'm the only secondary school shut in Solihull apart from a few nursaries but that's it. I love going to a non government school :D

Gizmogle

Established Member
We've still got some snow. School is open, but no one seems to have turned up! Including me.

IT'S SNOWING AGAAAAIN!

Coxster

Established Member
We have not had any snow today (well, maybe a couple of flakes) but once again today...

School Closed For Pupils

Following the heavy snowfall some health and safety issues have arisen around the school site and we will therefore be closed on Friday 9th February, as yesterday.

We expect to reopen on Monday 12th February, but will keep this site updated. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Please note that as a result of the school closure the school production of Hamlet, scheduled for performance on Friday, has been postponed until Thursday 15th February.

...not sure what the health and safety issues could be! Certainly not snow!

Ascot

Established Member
We have not had any snow today (well, maybe a couple of flakes) but once again today...

...not sure what the health and safety issues could be! Certainly not snow!

I'm on Half Term now as well.;) Started nice and early at half 10 Wednesday

T

Tom

Those who live in Gipset Bangbang I'm told are not on half term this week.

compsci

I was stuck at Letchworth for about twenty minutes yesterday while the points at Hitchin were unfrozen (How is this done? A giant hair dryer?), then got stuck at KCM as the signals from there to Farringdon had failed. Eventually authority to pass the signals at danger was given. By the time I reached CTK I was over an hour late, and hence will be the luck recipiant of a £7 voucher from FCC. (Normally it's £4, but they do a calculation based on 260 ticket uses in a year and round up.)

Ascot

Established Member
Those who live in Gipset Bangbang I'm told are not on half term this week.

Where the hell's that?? and Bang Bang?? Sounds bit gang bang??

EDIT: did a search on Google and come up with "wat it is all day every day ya dun noe gipset run this city yall faggots ... How can you man even compare Gipset or any other London crew with P.D.C. Man if ..."

ROFLMAO BRILLIANT ENGLISH within 5 mins they would be killed in Birmingham acting "dun noe innit"

Status
Not open for further replies.