• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
Well I was shocked to see hailstones followed by rain which then was followed by snow!?

Well here's the latest from my new house in St Albans!
dscf8144editmr4.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
It's sunny in Glasgow (:shock:) but we're also expecting snow. It's cold a crisp, so at least if we do get it, it will be snow and not slush.

william

Established Member
I think he's been soaking up too many online rays.

Nee snah ear like.

Bighat

Just glanced out of my kitchen window about ten minutes ago. Roads are damp (so it's not laying here), but parked cars have an inch or two of snow on them.

Brrrr.....................:)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Apparently very cold outside (the car's needed at 0545 so windscreen has been covered), snow is predicted and we alledgedly had some variety of snow-like stuff outside today. Didn't see it myself. Mind, I got up at 1443!

Starting to get concerned for my health now with my upcoming overnighter in Scotland in December...:o

P156KWJ

Established Member
the reason we don't get any is because it's an industrial city, too much pollution and very low ground.

Mintona

Established Member
No snow on the right side of the Peak District either. Cold as anything though. Brrrrr

Coxster

Established Member
Got back to the station at 00:30 to find every surface of my bike under enough snow to entirely consume my index finger. Although I hadn't seen the weather forecast before leaving at about lunchtime I did half expect some bad conditions when by about 8/9pm the CCTV cameras around Barnet were just showing cars skidding over the give way marks at roundabouts, First Capital Connect confirming via the phone that they had totally closed Potters Bar, Brookmans Park and Welham Green stations, and Luton airport operations telling me flights were grounded and that they didn't anticipate movement until at least 23:00. The front of the train at Waterloo being totally white instead of yellow was another sign perhaps.

Was I glad I didn't bike to work?
icon_lol.gif

Anyway, got to the bike and cleaned the exhaust off. I then set about finding the chain under the carpet of white that lay before me. Unhooked it all and flipped the seat to retrieve my helmet/gloves and replace them with the chain. The snow remained in place so I figured force was going to have to be used unless I felt like (probably quite literally) freezing my blocks off. That didn't sound very tempting so I used a glove to clear the seat of snow - straight down the front of my trousers - and set about starting the engine. Should have seen the puff of sh!t that came straight out of the exhaust pipe! Let it idle whilst I gave the bars and screen a wipe down and set off down the road (or should that be skidpan?).

Got home alive though so it couldn't have been all bad.

( Another pointless and unnecessary essay by Coxster )

me123

Established Member
No snow yet in Caledonia. But we have had a very light drizzle by the looks of things :( That bright and sunny, albeit cold, weather never lasts :)

class 313

Established Member
Got back to the station at 00:30 to find every surface of my bike under enough snow to entirely consume my index finger. Although I hadn't seen the weather forecast before leaving at about lunchtime I did half expect some bad conditions when by about 8/9pm the CCTV cameras around Barnet were just showing cars skidding over the give way marks at roundabouts, First Capital Connect confirming via the phone that they had totally closed Potters Bar, Brookmans Park and Welham Green stations, and Luton airport operations telling me flights were grounded and that they didn't anticipate movement until at least 23:00. The front of the train at Waterloo being totally white instead of yellow was another sign perhaps.

Was I glad I didn't bike to work?
icon_lol.gif

Anyway, got to the bike and cleaned the exhaust off. I then set about finding the chain under the carpet of white that lay before me. Unhooked it all and flipped the seat to retrieve my helmet/gloves and replace them with the chain. The snow remained in place so I figured force was going to have to be used unless I felt like (probably quite literally) freezing my blocks off. That didn't sound very tempting so I used a glove to clear the seat of snow - straight down the front of my trousers - and set about starting the engine. Should have seen the puff of sh!t that came straight out of the exhaust pipe! Let it idle whilst I gave the bars and screen a wipe down and set off down the road (or should that be skidpan?).

Got home alive though so it couldn't have been all bad.

( Another pointless and unnecessary essay by Coxster )

Sounds like fun! I saw FCCTL were coming into St Albans 4/5 mins late on each train. Must of been fun driving in such slippery conditions <D.

But now its sunny! Snow still lays but slowly melting. Could this be it for Winter 08? Or a taste of what's to come?

Bayum

Established Member
I'm hoping a taste of whats to come really...

But as we all know, global warming blah blah blah...

devon_metro

Established Member
It hailed in Exeter. Might I say Loader, what a nice collection of chairs you have at the bottom of that garden of yours ;)

Oracle

Established Member
No snow down here! This morning at 0500 a light frost. BBC Radio Solent said that there were problems south of Woking down to Basingstoke as trains were getting stuck on the ice.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Got delayed by 10 mins coming from Euston on a double Desiro that evening. Walked home :( Got in, and the power cut off - bloody trees falling down with snow cut the lines, only just been restored an hour ago! Freezed my b*lls off overnight... <D

richa2002

Established Member
Sounds like fun! I saw FCCTL were coming into St Albans 4/5 mins late on each train. Must of been fun driving in such slippery conditions <D.

But now its sunny! Snow still lays but slowly melting. Could this be it for Winter 08? Or a taste of what's to come?
I don't think anyone really knows!

Oracle

Established Member
Just got back from travelling to Fleet: there was snow according to Mum all the way down the M3 to Fleet services, and we saw snow still on the ground from the services down to Dummer, then it just stopped. There were fields covered in snow still around Basingstoke, and a BMW convertible that overtook us on the A303 (south-westerly) at about 14.40 was covered in snow!

jonb

Established Member
As Coxster stated FCC had some electrical/lighting problems with Potters Bar, Brookmans Park & Welham Green stations. I was on the 2105 from Moorgate to Welwyn (which is also my taxi to the yard!) and we stopped at all stations with our driver informing people to take care when alighting! As well as this the overheads came down on the Hertford loop trapping three trains on the branch all in passenger service!

Here's hoping for a better night tonight although as I type it looks like there are more problems between Stevenage - London via Hertford...!

Status
Not open for further replies.