• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Snowbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
After the overnight snow Stagecoach Kendal sent out an open topper on the 555 which arrived in Lancaster around 08:00 today

No idea if this was due to a positioning move, disruption - or whether someone in management thought it was a one-off attraction.
The thought of riding it in the snow to Keswick does appeal............however work takes priority

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RELL6L

If BusTimes is to be believed, 13801 is currently at Grasmere on its way from Keswick (dep 11.30) to Lancaster, while 13805 ran from Grasmere to Lancaster at 9.00 and is about to leave Lancaster for Keswick.
Others are out on the 599 as normal. 13806 also ran the 8.00 from Kendal to Ambleside and back, but that seems less unusual. Is this all true?
Jolly cold I would think!

driver9000

Established Member
Open toppers seem to appear semi regularly on the 555 to/from Lancaster standing in for the usual closed top buses. I believe it's a case of better to send out an open top than cancel services. There was at least one out last week too.

Ploughman

Established Member
Back in about Feb 1976 a friend of mine bought an ex Portsmouth Double Deck Open Topper from Glasgow.
About 8 of us met him at Carlisle and then trundled down the M6 to get home to Southport.
As I recall, it was a bit cold with some snow, but we found the warmest seats were actually the 2 front seats upstairs.
Everybody passing must have thought correctly that we were mad.

quarella

My school bus was whatever was left so we occasionally had an open top. Not all drivers would let us upstairs. I have also had an open top to myself on Rail Replacement from Ealing Broadway direct to Paddington some years ago. I assume the other passengers used the Underground.

randyrippley

Established Member
looks like 13801 & 13805 are on the 555 today

is this the longest UK open top ride?

darloscott

I wonder if this is related to the new 555 fleet coming and they’ve taken the old ones off to redistribute and using some otherwise redundant open tops in the meantime? Are some generally parked up out of season or are they rotated on the 599?

mangyiscute

Established Member
I've done an open top 508 during april snow before, was certainly a unique experience. this was a scheduled open top, tho

Status
Not open for further replies.