• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SNP ends power sharing with the Scottish Greens - Humza Yousaf resigns as SNP leader

brad465

Established Member
The Times reporting Yousaf is set to resign today:

Humza Yousaf is preparing to quit as Scotland’s first minister after coming to the conclusion that his position is no longer tenable.

Senior SNP figures have been told the nationalist leader decided over the weekend that there is no way for him to survive this week’s vote of no confidence and he may stand down on Monday.

It comes as Yousaf struggles to put together a coalition of MSPs that would keep him in office after he sacked the Scottish Greens from government.

A close friend said: “Humza knows what’s best for the country and the party. He is first party activist and a party man, and that’s why he knows it’s time for someone else.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stathern Jc

Presumably a resignation of a Party Leader who happens to be the First Minister would give more breathing space than the 28 day countdown to having to call an election that the Vote of No Confidence would trigger.

sannox

BBC also reporting that. I guess he couldn't get the Greens onside and the notion of letting Alex Salmond's party have some control wasn't palatable.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Whilst I'm no supporter of what I see as a total basket case idea of an independent Scotland, I do have some sympathy for its supporters who have been very much sold down the river here. And alliance ended by a supposedly pro-independence party with another pro independence party but yet failing to forge and alliance with a set different pro independence party who if the SNP were sticking to their one trick pony guns of old wood surely help them go forward remain stable and boost the case for another bash at the referendum? Or am I talking out my backside here

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Presumably a resignation of a Party Leader who happens to be the First Minister would give more breathing space than the 28 day countdown to having to call an election that the Vote of No Confidence would trigger.
Parliament has 28 days after the resignation is tendered to elect a new First Minister, otherwise Parliament must be dissolved and new elections held.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Wasn't sure if a tactic might be to "declare an intention to resign once a successor had been identified".
It could be they replace him with someone they think is more likely to appeal to the Greens/Alba, but the confidence votes are still tabled and the chamber must still vote to approve any new First Minister candidate.

Any of those votes could still very easily influence the overall outcome of Yousaf's resignation.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Given the launch the rubbish selection available I would personally be hoping for no decision to be made and for an election to be triggered, this is what Scotland needs not more playing at the same game by someone else who's about as clueless

greatkingrat

Established Member

The clock is ticking to find Yousaf's replacement in 28 days otherwise an election will be called in Scotland.

That's not quite right, he has only resigned as SNP leader. He is remaining as First Minister until a new SNP leader is elected, so the 28 days hasn't started. The no confidence votes will presumably still go ahead though, so if he loses then the 28 days will start.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's not quite right, he has only resigned as SNP leader. He is remaining as First Minister until a new SNP leader is elected, so the 28 days hasn't started. The no confidence votes will presumably still go ahead though, so if he loses then the 28 days will start.
He's resigned as both hasn't he? That's what the BBC seem to be reporting?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
He's resigned as both hasn't he? That's what the BBC seem to be reporting?

The headlines do seem a bit confusing on that matter, don't they. As far as I can make out, he's resigned as SNP leader with immediate effect and is resigning as First Minister with effect from whenever the SNP has selected a new leader.

greatkingrat

Established Member
It's the same as when Liz Truss resigned - she remained Prime Minister until Rishi Sunak was elected as Conservative leader.

brad465

Established Member
It's the same as when Liz Truss resigned - she remained Prime Minister until Rishi Sunak was elected as Conservative leader.
Fortunately for us (and for the Tories as it happens) it was only a week then, before that it was something like 6-8 weeks when Johnson resigned, allowing him to go on many jollies while the country was paralysed awaiting a new leader. The long contest also cost the Tories as the contenders kept trashing the party's record during the campaign (Labour were using unedited footage of Tory contenders in campaign videos).

Thus if I was in the SNP, I'd want a process to select the next leader to be wrapped up as quickly and efficiently as possible.

sannox

Given the launch the rubbish selection available I would personally be hoping for no decision to be made and for an election to be triggered, this is what Scotland needs not more playing at the same game by someone else who's about as clueless

An election is a bit of a gamble for all in my view. The SNP will lose seats, but I don't think Labour can be assured of doing enough to win. Tories will be down based on national trends and others probably much of a muchness. Not sure how Labour finds a viable coalition to govern too - a Labour / Tory coalition might happen at some councils but it would finish them in Scotland if they tried it at national level. They'd need the Lib Dems to be around.

The SNP are tired. They came to power in 2007 - 17 years of power is a lot. Under normal circumstances, you'd have probably had people being 'sick of them' and voting elsewhere - see Labour in 2007/11 elections. For many people in Scotland the desire for independence leads to continually voting SNP however and with the SNP not in power the independence dream is much further down the road.

For the SNP, I think good leaders are often better found in opposition than in power. In power you mainly get the people who followed the party line coming to the fore and who are often found wanting in skills and ways to change direction. That's no doubt why Yousaf was called the 'continuity candidate'. Bizarrely a spell out of power might help refocus the party.

oldman

It's Swinney if he wants the job. Steady the ship, get through the election and take the flak for any losses. Meanwhile the others can jockey for position for when he goes.

gg1

Established Member
An election is a bit of a gamble for all in my view. The SNP will lose seats, but I don't think Labour can be assured of doing enough to win. Tories will be down based on national trends and others probably much of a muchness. Not sure how Labour finds a viable coalition to govern too - a Labour / Tory coalition might happen at some councils but it would finish them in Scotland if they tried it at national level. They'd need the Lib Dems to be around.

The SNP are tired. They came to power in 2007 - 17 years of power is a lot. Under normal circumstances, you'd have probably had people being 'sick of them' and voting elsewhere - see Labour in 2007/11 elections. For many people in Scotland the desire for independence leads to continually voting SNP however and with the SNP not in power the independence dream is much further down the road.

For the SNP, I think good leaders are often better found in opposition than in power. In power you mainly get the people who followed the party line coming to the fore and who are often found wanting in skills and ways to change direction. That's no doubt why Yousaf was called the 'continuity candidate'. Bizarrely a spell out of power might help refocus the party.
If the pro-independence parties fail to collectively win a majority of seats at the next assembly elections I think a minority government is virtually guaranteed.

A Labour/Conservative coalition won't happen for the reasons you mention, an SNP/Labour coalition may be more palatable to Scottish Labour voters but it would be a gift for the Tories across Britain as a whole, the perfect opportunity to resurrect the 'Labour will break up the UK' line used in 2015.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
NEW: Understand the Greens are satisfied with Humza Yousaf's resignation announcement so will now NOT support the no confidence motion against him.

Clears way for him to stay on until successor chosen.

They also won't support Labour's no confidence motion in Scot Gov

BBC Reporter now saying the Greens won't support a no confidence vote in Yousaf. Seemingly they think they've done enough.

sannox

A Labour/Conservative coalition won't happen for the reasons you mention, an SNP/Labour coalition may be more palatable to Scottish Labour voters but it would be a gift for the Tories across Britain as a whole, the perfect opportunity to resurrect the 'Labour will break up the UK' line used in 2015.
I can't see that working - I doubt an English voter cares and I suspect some would say good, get going!

However politically aligned, I can't see SNP / Labour administration working - voters on each side would be just unhappy.

Falcon1200

Established Member
While I disagree with his politics, I feel sympathy for Humza Yousaf; The last few days cannot have been easy for him. However it was patently obvious, from his ministerial record, that he was utterly unsuited to being First Minister.

So, what to we have to look forward to now; Possibly the resurrection of John Swinney as FM! Maybe, whoever the new FM turns out to be, they will finally realise that independence is dead in the water, and focus all of their, the Scottish Government's and the Scottish Civil service's, efforts on actually governing Scotland effectively. But I won't hold my breath....

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So, what to we have to look forward to now; Possibly the resurrection of John Swinney as FM! Maybe, whoever the new FM turns out to be, they will finally realise that independence is dead in the water, and focus all of their, the Scottish Government's and the Scottish Civil service's, efforts on actually governing Scotland effectively. But I won't hold my breath....
Sorry to disappoint you, but independence is definitely not dead in the water. It's a bit much to expect a political party whose raison-d'etre is achieving independence to give up that aim.

Falcon1200

Established Member
It's a bit much to expect a political party whose raison-d'etre is achieving independence to give up that aim.

But not a bit much to expect a political party elected to govern Scotland to, um, govern Scotland, as their number one priority?

And if independence could not be achieved with all the advantages given the SNP; Evil Tories in power at Westminster with BoJo as PM, (much as I dislike her) a consummate and skilful politician as FM in Nicola Sturgeon, and then Brexit; When will it ever?

Blindtraveler

Established Member
But not a bit much to expect a political party elected to govern Scotland to, um, govern Scotland, as their number one priority?

And if independence could not be achieved with all the advantages given the SNP; Evil Tories in power at Westminster with BoJo as PM, (much as I dislike her) a consummate and skilful politician as FM in Nicola Sturgeon, and then Brexit; When will it ever?
And let's be completely brutally honest here, there's been not much governing going on for quite some time in Edinburgh both under the current soon to be super seeded man at the top or his predecessor or indeed her predecessor for the last couple of years when he was obsessed with referendum and took his eye permanently off the Ball

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Bookies currently have in as favourite at 2/5.
Turns out he's only just turned 60. I'd have thought he was at least 70, in looks and demeanour. This is the guy who was Scottish Education Secretary for five years, during which period the decline of Scotland's pre-eminence in these matters compared with the other countries of the United Kingdom continued apace. Hardly an election winner!

On Moderation
Sorry to disappoint you, but independence is definitely not dead in the water. It's a bit much to expect a political party whose raison-d'etre is achieving independence to give up that aim.
The SNP’s best way to advance their independence agenda would be to govern Scotland competently now to show what the population what they could have in comparison with Westminster. But they’re not. Instead they’re more interested in niche issues like gender politics, which to be blunt the majority of people couldn’t give a toss about - as always it’s the economy, health, education that really matter. All they’ve done - with the “Dave Angel” mob they were in cahoots with - is demonstrate that they’re at least as incompetent as the Tories in Westminster.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Was Sunak elected? I thought he was the only candidate willing to stand so we can rightly say he wasn't actually elected by anyone (including his own party) - Which could easily happen for the SNP I guess.