• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

So many announcements, so few people taking them on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
Does anyone know when the announcements were last working at London Liverpool Street? If memory serves me right, they’ve been broken for around a year or so now. Initially they would sound, with it cutting out halfway through, however now there are zero announcements sounding.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamieh27

Does anyone know when the announcements were last working at London Liverpool Street? If memory serves me right, they’ve been broken for around a year or so now. Initially they would sound, with it cutting out halfway through, however now there are zero announcements sounding.
Over a year ago when Anne came back in December 2022, then Amy came back after Jan-Feb 2023, then Anne came back again and the announcements broke.

londonmidland

Established Member
Over a year ago when Anne came back in December 2022, then Amy came back after Jan-Feb 2023, then Anne came back again and the announcements broke.
I don’t understand why it has taken Greater Anglia so long to sort this out. It’s not like Liverpool Street is a tiny station in the middle of nowhere.

I also wondered why they kept tampering with the system, as they kept switching between Amy and Anne every few months.

BayPaul

Established Member
I don’t understand why it has taken Greater Anglia so long to sort this out. It’s not like Liverpool Street is a tiny station in the middle of nowhere.

I also wondered why they kept tampering with the system, as they kept switching between Amy and Anne every few months.
It would be interesting to see how many people have slipped on icy platforms or exploded through not seeing, saying and sorting during this period...

Purple Train

Established Member

My feeling (extrapolated somewhat: correct me if I'm wrong) is that Greater Anglia aren't all that keen/fussed about announcements - certainly the GA station I most regularly use doesn't have announcements, even though it's a staffed station with direct London services. Admittedly that's anecdotal and based on a survey of one, but, given all the other out-in-the-sticks places where announcements have been fitted, I do think that not fitting them to such a station (which nevertheless has all the accoutrements of a modern station: ticket machine, digital display boards, etc.) could be evidence of a more relaxed attitude to announcements, which the current silence at Liverpool Street would seem to confirm.

jamieh27

My feeling (extrapolated somewhat: correct me if I'm wrong) is that Greater Anglia aren't all that keen/fussed about announcements - certainly the GA station I most regularly use doesn't have announcements, even though it's a staffed station with direct London services. Admittedly that's anecdotal and based on a survey of one, but, given all the other out-in-the-sticks places where announcements have been fitted, I do think that not fitting them to such a station (which nevertheless has all the accoutrements of a modern station: ticket machine, digital display boards, etc.) could be evidence of a more relaxed attitude to announcements, which the current silence at Liverpool Street would seem to confirm.
Which station is this, Chelmsford? Manningtree?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

It's a Network Rail managed station, albeit customer information (i.e what is on the screens) is mostly controlled by Greater Anglia.

jamieh27

It's a Network Rail managed station, albeit customer information (i.e what is on the screens) is mostly controlled by Greater Anglia.
Alot of stations the Network Rail manage CIS are controlled by TOC like Bristol Temple Meads station managed by NR but CIS GWR, etc. Liverpool Street I think use to be ownewd by NR but gave control of CIS to GA.

londonmidland

Established Member
I believe Greater Anglia now have full control and responsibilities over the CIS and P.A system at Liverpool Street.

It’s the only station that they operate which remains with the Wordline system, since all their other stations have switched to the Blackbox text-to-speech system a couple of years ago. Perhaps they are no longer receiving technical support for the former, so it is limping on broken?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I believe Greater Anglia now have full control and responsibilities over the CIS and P.A system at Liverpool Street.

It’s the only station that they operate which remains with the Wordline system, since all their other stations have switched to the Blackbox text-to-speech system a couple of years ago. Perhaps they are no longer receiving technical support for the former, so it is limping on broken?

Quite possibly, who knows how the contractual arrangements work. There are a few Blackbox systems/screens dotted around the station as well though.

BayPaul

Established Member
My sarcasm detector just exploded!
Sarcastic, but in hindsight, it would be a great opportunity to see whether announcements actually make a noticeable difference to accident stats. A year out of service in one of the busiest stations in the country should have produced some proper results.

Recessio

SWR guards on my morning train from Guildford to Waterloo have clearly been told they need to announce every upcoming departure from Woking for people who are changing trains to get to eg Weybridge or Walton. That's fine, it could be useful for people. But christ do they really need to go on for five minutes? Surely "change here for services to X from platform Y at ZZ:ZZ", not a full station-by-station announcement, followed by an announcement of the status of every tube line, and then two minutes about delays on the Central line "the orange one on your tube maps" due to train shortages "until a new timetable in may?" (this is all seriously what was announced, I wish I was making it up! The Central line doesn't even stop at Waterloo!)

One announcer was holding the mic too close to their mouth so the announcements were very loud. And then he told us to remember to keep the noise down in the quiet coaches, that elicited a laugh from most of the passengers!

Some of these announcements are a good idea, but badly executed imo.

al78

Established Member
Sarcastic, but in hindsight, it would be a great opportunity to see whether announcements actually make a noticeable difference to accident stats. A year out of service in one of the busiest stations in the country should have produced some proper results.
I agree with this and would be interested to see stats after they ceased the generic announcements about bad weather and see-it-say-it-sorted for a period of, say, six months compared to a previous comparable period.

On a 197 TfW to Manchester. Every call gets a before during and after announcement in Welsh then in English. Six announcements per call

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
SWR guards on my morning train from Guildford to Waterloo have clearly been told they need to announce every upcoming departure from Woking for people who are changing trains to get to eg Weybridge or Walton. That's fine, it could be useful for people. But christ do they really need to go on for five minutes? Surely "change here for services to X from platform Y at ZZ:ZZ", not a full station-by-station announcement, followed by an announcement of the status of every tube line, and then two minutes about delays on the Central line "the orange one on your tube maps" due to train shortages "until a new timetable in may?" (this is all seriously what was announced, I wish I was making it up! The Central line doesn't even stop at Waterloo!)
I've always quite liked the approach of DB on their long distance services to this. If the train is on time the conductor will simply announce words to the effect of "All connections will be made" without giving further detail, but if the train is late and connections have been missed then they'll announce more detail "The next train to Frankfurt departs at 1552 from platform 3, service to Munich at 1605 from platform 7" etc etc.

Tester

I've always quite liked the approach of DB on their long distance services to this. If the train is on time the conductor will simply announce words to the effect of "All connections will be made" without giving further detail, but if the train is late and connections have been missed then they'll announce more detail "The next train to Frankfurt departs at 1552 from platform 3, service to Munich at 1605 from platform 7" etc etc.
Indeed so, although what is actually said in English is, 'All connections will be reached'. Which is a little strange, but not inaccurate!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Indeed so, although what is actually said in English is, 'All connections will be reached'. Which is a little strange, but not inaccurate!
Yes very true! It is odd sounding but as you say not inaccurate at all.

duffield

Established Member
On a 197 TfW to Manchester. Every call gets a before during and after announcement in Welsh then in English. Six announcements per call
I boarded a TfW service from LLandudno to Manchester Airport a few weeks ago (at Chester), and the auto-announcer was "stuck" at Colwyn Bay, so it announced all stations from there to Manchester in Welsh and English at every stop.

I'm fortunate enough to be good at "tuning out" without using headphones but it must have been pretty annoying for people who can't (or anyone trying to hold a conversation, come to that).

Krokodil

Established Member
Complete with "thank you for travelling..." waffle and a nice long pause between languages to give you a false sense of peace before the next one.

I prefer the SBB approach of announcing a list of connections and platforms when approaching an interchange. The equivalent at Crewe would be "For London: platform 5, hh:mm; for Manchester: platform 6, hh:mm; for Stoke, Derby and Newark platform 2, hh:mm" etc.

At interchanges it's useful for many passengers. Of course if we were Swiss there would be no need to include the departure times as the timetable would be geared towards connections.

I boarded a TfW service from LLandudno to Manchester Airport a few weeks ago (at Chester), and the auto-announcer was "stuck" at Colwyn Bay, so it announced all stations from there to Manchester in Welsh and English at every stop.

I'm fortunate enough to be good at "tuning out" without using headphones but it must have been pretty annoying for people who can't (or anyone trying to hold a conversation, come to that).
Let me guess, the train was one which started at Junction rather than Llandudno itself? It's a bug with any 197 that starts at Junction and heads east, a daily occurrence with 1H88 which is always formed as such. Driver needs to cancel the journey on the TMS and enter it in again.

duffield

Established Member
Complete with "thank you for travelling..." waffle and a nice long pause between languages to give you a false sense of peace before the next one.

I prefer the SBB approach of announcing a list of connections and platforms when approaching an interchange. The equivalent at Crewe would be "For London: platform 5, hh:mm; for Manchester: platform 6, hh:mm; for Stoke, Derby and Newark platform 2, hh:mm" etc.

At interchanges it's useful for many passengers. Of course if we were Swiss there would be no need to include the departure times as the timetable would be geared towards connections.

Let me guess, the train was one which started at Junction rather than Llandudno itself? It's a bug with any 197 that starts at Junction and heads east, a daily occurrence with 1H88 which is always formed as such. Driver needs to cancel the journey on the TMS and enter it in again.
Just checked back, and it was indeed 1H88. At least I know now that there's a reason (even if not a very *good* reason :E).

Krokodil

Established Member
Just checked back, and it was indeed 1H88. At least I know now that there's a reason (even if not a very *good* reason :E).
Thought so. Happens every day with 1H88 but a switched on guard will notice and get the driver to reset it. Currently that's the only 197 booked to start at Junction and head east on weekdays, though if other services (1K02, 1D70 etc.) are formed of a 197 vice 158 then the same bug will surface.

There were awareness campaigns for the 101 and 111 non emergency numbers when they launched.

The shortcode 61016 also works with text, with the idea being that texting can be a bit more subtle than saying someone’s description out loud while stuck on a train with them.
This doesn’t explain why we can’t just text 999.

60 odd million of us are invited to learn a new number and perform appropriate decision making and call routing to make the life of a small number of operators easier.

Why?

In what circumstance and how are we supposed to decide that it’s sufficiently urgent that we can’t just take time to find staff, but not sufficiently urgent that it requires an emergency response?

I can’t see the sense in it. Should not be our problem.

Last edited:

TUC

Established Member

60 odd million of us are invited to learn a new number and perform appropriate decision making and call routing to make the life of a small number of operators easier.

Why?

In what circumstance and how are we supposed to decide that it’s sufficiently urgent that we can’t just take time to find staff, but not sufficiently urgent that it requires an emergency response?

Because 999 is for emergencies, not for situations you might be a little bit concerned about.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member

Why?

I wonder if the BTP have realised that constantly badgering passengers with the SeeItSayItSortIt message is paradoxically deterring people from reporting incidents of concern? For example, twice in recent weeks I've come across situations which could be interpreted as suspicious; one where someone had left what looked to be a small DIY tool box by the basin in the toilet on the train and another where a man in Sikh costume was walking down the platorm with what appeared to be a ceremonial sword concealing beneath his garment.

In each case I didn't report it because the more people report minor incidents to BTP the more they can say "see, that proves the announcements work" and we'll be stuck with them for years to come!

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
not reporting something serious because the jingle annoys you is very petty.
It's not the jingle (there's isn't one) it's the implied message that we should spend our entire rail journeys fearfully panicking and checking up on our fellow passengers.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It's not the jingle (there's isn't one) it's the implied message that we should spend our entire rail journeys fearfully panicking and checking up on our fellow passengers.
that is your own interpretation. I certainly don't feel that. I have, however, used the text number to report anti social behaviour on trains and seen a response ( some of the time!)

Status
Not open for further replies.